Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Certified as an instructor

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    sexybaldman

All,

Well, I heard that one can take the Krav instructor certification with no prior experience? Is this true or not? In my mind I would feel better knowing my instructor had prior experience .

Thanks,

noonian

Forget it. Experience SO is required. They have certain requirements concerning your previous MA experience etc. Don’t worry, they’ll not send you some total idiot!! 😉

anonymous

You are supposed to have a black belt in another martial art (such as Karate, Taekwondo etc) before you can start the KM instructor program. However in that case, prior KM experience isn’t necessary.

If you are a regular student and have taken KM for a while (not sure how many months are required) you can also start the instructor program, even if you don’t have a black belt in another martial art.

To me, experience is important as well. I see big differences between someone who has trained for twenty years and someone else who might have done it for only two. This is only natural – as with anything else, the longer you do it the better you get at it.

Best thing for you to do might be to ask your instructor for how long he has trained in KM and what other martial art he may know and then decide whether you want to go to his school or not.

usnavy-233

Baldman,
    If you’re worried about our instructor, he’s well qualified. I’ve got an old e-mail from him from when I first started looking into KM NOVA. It talks a little about his multiple blacks in various disciplines, as well as the length of time he’s been training in KM and other martial arts.

sexybaldman

Re:

quote \”usnavy_233\:

Baldman,
    If you’re worried about our instructor, he’s well qualified. I’ve got an old e-mail from him from when I first started looking into KM NOVA. It talks a little about his multiple blacks in various disciplines, as well as the length of time he’s been training in KM and other martial arts.

Lord Navy, here you go stirring the pot…I was not questioning our instructor I was curious how one gets certifited. Mainly for when I want to get certified in the future. 🙂 And I just heard that anyone can take the instructor course with no prior experience and that seemed odd to me…

usnavy-233

Re: Certified as an instructor

Wait a minute now. I’m not trying to \”stir\” anything. Just trying to be helpful.

quote \”SexyBaldMan\:

In my mind I would feel better knowing my instructor had prior experience .

That sounded (to me anyway), like you were wondering if our instructor had allot of prior experience or just a little. I just thought I’d offer my insight.

It’s all good in da hood, yo! (That’s still what the kiddies are saying now a days, right?) 😉

sexybaldman

Re: Certified as an instructor

quote \”usnavy_233\:

Wait a minute now. I’m not trying to \”stir\” anything. Just trying to be helpful.

quote \”SexyBaldMan\:

In my mind I would feel better knowing my instructor had prior experience .

That sounded (to me anyway), like you were wondering if our instructor had allot of prior experience or just a little. I just thought I’d offer my insight.

It’s all good in da hood, yo! (That’s still what the kiddies are saying now a days, right?) 😉

ahh sorry if that sounded bad. I never doubt out instructor. I was generalizing…KMStudent usually stirs the pot..lol

anonymous

Hmmm, second thread filled with lively navy/baldman debate. You guys ought to get a room! 😉 😆

usnavy-233

Why what ever do you mean Giantkiller??

Besides, it’s not really a \”debate\” when I’m always right!

sexybaldman

hahaha…at Navy always right..He still gloating over that neck cranked he got me in the other night..lol

usnavy-233

😀

anonymous

Hey Navy,

Good to hear you and baldguy are getting along so well. Is he really as sexy as he says he is? 😀

By the way, is that a picture of you or your dad or your granddad? Just wondering, now I’m starting to picture you looking like that, although I’m assuming you are probably younger. 8)

usnavy-233

Re:

quote \”Giantkiller\:

Hey Navy,

Good to hear you and baldguy are getting along so well. Is he really as sexy as he says he is? 😀

By the way, is that a picture of you or your dad or your granddad? Just wondering, now I’m starting to picture you looking like that, although I’m assuming you are probably younger. 8)

To the first question..umm, no! Then again, I’ve never been one for rating the attraction of men so you’ll have to take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Secondly, the picture is actually of Thomas Edison as a young man. I put it as my avatar because he is one of my most favorite people. I use a qoute of his on a regular basis, and it has somewhat structured the way I do things, whether it be work, training, or life in general. I guess you could say I strive in emulate him.

\”Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration\”. -Edison

As for my age, I’ll be 25 on July 29th. I don’t look exactly like Edison, although now that I think about it, I do share some similarities with Edison when he was younger. I’m thin like he was and we share allot of the same facial features (nose, ears, chin). His cheeks were fuller than mine are. My hair is shorter than his was, although we both have/had brown hair. But, my eyes are also brown and his were blue.

la-revancha

First off: search function. This topic has been discussed several times now in one form or the other. If you’re really interested, try scrolling through the archives.

\”Well, I heard that one can take the Krav instructor certification with no prior experience? Is this true or not?\”

It is indeed true. One can take the KM certification with no prior experience. Same as one can take the MCAT without any prior experience/prep in biology or chemistry, or go to an NFL supplemental draft combine without experience. In all three endeavors, success is highly unlikely without experience or prep.

Simpy taking the KM certification course is by no means a guaranteed route to becoming an instructor. The general number that is used is a 75% pass rate. I personally know of five guys, some from the East Coast some from the West, that didn’t even make it through the first leg.

\”You are supposed to have a black belt in another martial art (such as Karate, Taekwondo etc) before you can start the KM instructor program.

Definitely not true. In essence, you have to be a good KM tactitioner and capable of teaching KM to become an instructor. Falling short in any of these capacities means you don’t make it.

And while experience is an important factor, it isn’t the only factor. One of my favorite teachers in my life was my TA in organic chemistry. He helped me understand o’chem better than the tenured professor he worked for. Teaching attributes, other than experience, made this possible. Also, the instructor that made me fully appreciate Krav and taught me how to be a student of Krav was only a green belt (at the time).

Lesson: Make sure the instructor you choose makes learning and the overall experience as optimal as possible FOR YOU.

I’m done.

h2h

La Revancha nailed it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: