Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics CrossFit and Bas got me through it!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    stevetuna

I just completed my Phase B training at Ryan Hoover’s KMWW National Training Center in Gastonia, NC. All I can tell you is that CrossFit and Bas Rutten’s audio cd workout set whupped my aged body into shape to survive that week! In my mind, this week’s physical challenge surpassed Phase A (this could also be a trick of selective memory, of course…) and I was glad to have survived. Were it not for CrossFit and Bas, I would have been roadkill.

If anyone out there hasn’t tried CrossFit, today would be a great day to change that. Check out the main web site, crossfit.com, and see what it’s all about. The CrossFit mantra is, “Constantly varied functional movements, done at high intensity.” At many points during the week’s training I kept thinking that the seemingly endless push-ups, sit-ups, squats, pull-ups, kettlebell swings, box jumps, dead lifts, thrusters, burpees, 400 meter runs, etc. gave me the ability to keep going.

At this point I shouldn’t even have to talk about the Bas Rutten audio workouts. The tease that there is a new set of these excellent workout cd’s about to come out makes me think that I can continue to hang with the young flat-bellied dudes! I swear that there were moments during our punching drills where I heard Bas yelling out the combinations!

If you’re young and have the skills, add these two workout programs into your training and you’ll be more superhero than mere mortal. If you’re a geezer like me, sneak off when the studio is closed and push yourself through these workouts and you’ll surprise some of those flat-bellied devils who don’t. Us old guys need every advantage that we can latch on to! Try them!

dguest-d90

Re: CrossFit and Bas got me through it!

Steve,

Just wanted to drop by and tell you that it was a pleasure meeting and training with you last week.

If you ever need anything from a state trooper or a lawyer in Ky give us a call.

“Lawyer”

leejam99

Welcome to the revolution!

stevetuna

Dion –

The pleasure was mine (except for the shame of having to come home and tell my fellow officers that a lawyer and a trooper kicked my butt!). I hope the day will come when we’ll be training together again. If you and / or Curt are on Facebook, look me up at Krav Maga Nantucket. I’m also waiting for Jennifer to post her pics from the week.

Best wishes!

dguest-d90

Steve,

I look forward to training with you again as well. Hopefully we can do it back down at Ryan’s. Guys like you and Ryan are true inspirations. I can’t wait to see the pictures from Jennifer.

I will look you up on FB. We are Krav Maga Kentucky on FB as well. I will send you an invite.

D

garddawg

Nice job Steve. Congrats.

johnl-d11

Great job Steve!!!!

I agree 100% on CrossFit… When we give krav tests at our school, you can tell who takes crossfit and who doesn’t. It’s amazing the difference between the two.

la-revancha

Congrats, sir!

vinman

congrats Steve…and Crossfit is the sh!t !!! thumbsup

farhan

K, me cunfused. I am interested in starting Crossfit and BAS. I received my BAS CDs and understand the process. But I don’t know where to start with crossfit. I went to Crossfit.com and there are so many videos and demos for different things. Don’t know where to begin.

kravmagatv

Hey, I just wanted to say that Crossfit is indeed excellent, probably the best system i have tried in terms of all round fitness. I like the way it’s pretty simple and does the job, sound like anything else you know of?!
    Farhan, the idea of the Crossfit mainpage is to follow the workouts of the day (WOD’s) as best as you possible can but you may have to adjust them to suit your ability level if you are new to it. Some of the workouts look quite easy but are deceptivly difficult. They post a new one each day in a 3 on 1 off format so just follow along each day. There is a video section to teach you how to do some of the exercises and usually a video on the mainpage for inspiration. Sometimes it may be tempting to do extra than the main WOD especially if it’s just a 1 exercise strength day, but try to avoid this if you don’t want to get burnt out.

Hope that helps

Jamie

garddawg

Farhan,
    CrossFit is easy to start. Doesn’t require a lot of equipment etc… The workout today on the mainpage is Clean and Jerk 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 reps. The video today is of some old guy talking about training kids. There is a comments section where people answer questions about the workout and post their experiences with it. On the left is a start here button. It points you to some useful info on how to get started, including a FAQ and a website that scales the workouts for beginners and answers their questions.

biglou502

Let me also throw out one more option for your guys. I have almost completely stopped doing Crossfit workouts after discovering Monkey Bar Gym (http://www.monkeybargym.com). To me, the daily workouts from MBG are a lot more engaging and “fun”. Also, and I know everyone will have their own opinion, but these workouts feel a lot more goal-oriented to me and the level of fitness I want to maintain for Krav. Have a look and let me know what you think.

-Jesse
    Atlanta Krav Maga & Fitness

kylestyle913

quote garddawg:

Farhan,
    CrossFit is easy to start. Doesn’t require a lot of equipment etc… The workout today on the mainpage is Clean and Jerk 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 reps. The video today is of some old guy talking about training kids.

correct me if i’m wrong but isn’t that old man on the main page named “Gaurddawg”? OR is his name “The old hermit martin”? i can’t remember.:dunno:

garddawg

HA! Old Hermit.

MBG is fine. Concept is the same.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: