Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    vicious

Re:

quote \”Giantkiller\:

I think the \”Essential KM\” book is written by a guy from yet another organization in Europe. I don’t know if one could classify it as the \”official\” sequel. I’m not sure there could ever even be such a thing as \”official\” sequel to the \”How to…\” book, because Imi, the principal author, has since died.

Glad to hear we are finally publishing a book on our own. Lots of photos sounds good. I think that’s one of the main things people are looking for when they are buying a book like that. Lots of photos and detailed information on how to do the techniques right.

I’ve seen, (but not bought!) the David Kahn book. It wasn’t bad, but I was missing the photographs (there were only drawings). You are right, palmstrike might be awkward to do for choke form the side, it’s hard to bend the wrist that way. If anything, upper cut would work better, but I still like the groin strike.

The ground defense was probably shown that way precisely because it wouldn’t work with hooks (I guess they were hoping or assuming that the attacker will not know how to put in hooks, or you’ll be able to react before he puts them in). This may be a problem with the defense in general, not so much with the book (by the way, I’m not 100% sure which defense you mean, but I’m assuming it may be the one where you roll the person on your back over the top?). If he had hooks in, it would be a lot harder and may take some BJJ lessons to learn how to defend correctly.

the back defense just didn’t have the attacker putting hooks in… the defender plucks, and then was able to invert 180 degree and rotate in (if i’m not mistaken, its been a little while).

the defense could be made to work against \”hooks\” by walking the head back, falling to one side, and rotating inward pinning the outside hook… (the one in kmaa)

basically i don’t know why he didn’t just show the defense KMAA teaches.

if someone takes your back on the ground, and goes for a bar arm/rnc, how could we assume hooks wouldn’t be in? hooks go in first. THEN chokes are applied… sure there’s always a chance it doesn’t work that way…

i’m not trying to start ANYTHING. when i was looking through the book (i bought) i was pleased with a lot of the stuff… but there were a few techniques i thought he could have shown different. Just my opinion.

anonymous

So, the defender is on top of the attacker, facing up? Or on his knees, facing the ground? Don’t have the book here, but I’m not even sure whether there is a pure KM defense for either one of those situations. There may be some slight differences in technique between the various organizations. The IKMA (which is the organization David Kahn is with) might still be doing some of the original ground defenses. I know the KMAA has changed some things over the years and added some exercises.

By the way, the KMAA book can already be pre-ordered at Amazon:

http://www.searchabook.us/isbn/1569755736/

Says there’ll be over 200 techniques. Does that mean both weapons and non-weapons techniques? Off angle, too? How about sitting down, lying down, things like that? Ground techniques? Any differences in weapons techniques compared to the \”How to Defend…\” book?

anonymous

Hey, while I was googling for the book, I also found this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Whitman

Who is that guy in the picture??? 😕 Is that what John looks like without make-up? 😆

vicious

the defender is on his back with the attacker on the defender’s back… with a bar arm, but no hooks… his legs are just laying next to the attacker…

again, not trying to be rude… i just don’t understand that type of attack.

anonymous

I’ll try to find the book and have a look next time I’m at Barnes and Nobles. Sounds like a weird initial attack, but maybe two guys could end up in that position during a struggle.

keeiii

I am sorry I have not checked back to this topic for a while. I honestly was surprised their where more messages after the book Krav Maga: An Essential Guide to the Renowned Method–for Fitness and Self-Defense by David Khan was suggested. Like I said in my first post I had an injury. Pulled a muscle in my lower ab that is slowly getting better, after just 7 months. I am 53 yrs old; things just take time to heel. Just now starting to do a few sit-ups. I bought this book and truly enjoy it. The book might not be the best martial art book out there according to all. Everything is debatable, but it was defiantly what I was looking for. The book just keeps me wanting more.
    I was excited to see Mr. John Whitman had a reply to my post and I was very happy to here about the new book.
    One last comment. I have now been out of Krav Maga for about 6 months and I have some fear about returning. The classes that I attended were very tough, as most of you know. I have been working out on my own; other than my abs, I am in pretty good shape. I just have some fear about going to class again.

jl

keii,

you obviously broke through your fear when you started your KM training previously. Now that you’re injury alows it…get your ass back to class! 😉 Respectfully JL

anonymous

I took a look at the book the other day (but only briefly, I thought of it five minutes before my validated parking time expired and why pay for parking if you can avoid it).

Looks like he does mention the possibility of someone putting hooks in and that that could be dangerous, so he suggests to buck up your hips immediately and turn as quickly as possible, so the opponent won’t be able to do that.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: