Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Defense Against Hound

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    swornenemy

So I now have 2 German Shepherd Dogs (GSD), one 15 1/2 yo and the other 5 months old.

The young one likes to play rough, as do I, so I indulge her. One of the things I have started to notice is how some of the moves could be very effective against an attacking animal.

For instance, a low, 360 defense with a stab works beautifully at redirecting a 46 lb puppy GSD.

A Muay Thai knee stops them dead (no – I don’t do this hard at all to her). I could go on…

I have to think somewhere along the line, someone has thought about this not-too-unrealistic-scenario where one gets attacked by a stray dog. I can also think of operational scenarios where dogs could be a factor as well.

Does anybody have any experiences here? How on earth would you train for this one?

BTW – I am a firm believer in treats first!

jjbklb

…\” have to think somewhere along the line, someone has thought about this not-too-unrealistic-scenario where one gets attacked by a stray dog. I can also think of operational scenarios where dogs could be a factor as well.
    …\”

Most people would be running from the dog,not set in a position to launch a defense.

Many barking dogs that approach you will calm down if you stop moving a talk gently to them.

Picture 2 scenarios that start the same:
    1)-Your moving and a large barking dog comes running up to you.You immediately launch a flurry of kicks and /or punches.The dog goes nuts and tries to tear your who-who’s off.
    2)-Your moving and a large barking dog comes running up to you.You stop and use a gentle voice to talk to the dog.The dog growls,sniffs at you,then walks off.You now leave with who-who’s intact.

Obviously if # 2 isn’t working,then you may have to resort to #1.But I think that the gentle approach is the way to go first.Stay standing.Don’t crouch down to the dogs eye-level since that could be considered a challenge.

taikei

I got bit hard once. Instinctive act was defend with my forearm otherwise he’d had my face. I was carried to emergency room, stiched up my arm.

The more they’re hostile, less time for us to react. That’s how smart they are. In my case, whole thing happend in half a second.

swornenemy

LOL. As I said \”treats\” first.

My puppy can inflict great damage (just ask my dining room set) when she wants too. i would not want to take her on in another 6 months.

I have noticed an effective control is to place the thumb where the upper and lower jaws meet. She can’t bite down and I can get her snout clamped too.

Again, I reiterate to all that I am doing all of this with the utmost care not to hurt my dogs!

kravmdjeff

If you use the \”search\” function on the message boards, defenses against animal attacks have been discussed ad nauseum.

clfmak

I’ve had lots of run ins with dogs because I used to get around everywhere on my skateboard, and when you’re going like 20 miles a day you cross a lot of dogs.

jjbklb mentions a good scenario, but I wouldn’t use either option. Generally I’d quickly climb a nearby object like a car, because if this dog intends to bite me and I try and fight back, I will most likely bleed at some point and I’ll have to go to the hospital probably (does a rabies vaccination work for life? I had one when I was bit by a coyote).
    In the event that you have an edged weapon, most 4 legged animals are most vulnerable behind the front shoulder and could be accessed with a hooking attack. This is the target you look for when hunting with a spear or bow. Attacking through the area circumvents hte shoulder joints and such and punctures through lungs (the same is true with people but there’s usually an arm in the way). I’d hate to do that to any dog, but I’ve seen some brutal dog attacks and they could definitely warrant lethal force (especially in the event of more than one dog).

There’s threads on this somewhere in the archives.

kravjeff

Woof!

<— In spite of the picture, I’d rather fight a couple of guys than a couple of big dawgs anyday!!!

Glock – Glock – Glock

kmcat

This is very interesting to me, here in Kansas City we have had several incidents this past year or so with pitbulls. In one case this summer an older woman was killed.

Trying to make friends or be non threataning, etc., is not an option, and running does not work well either.

Some sort defense like that would be very useful to know, rather than just \”hope\”, or run..

anonymous

\”A Muay Thai knee stops them dead\” 🙁 Yep, and if you take that puppy by the hind legs and smash it against a wall…. 😥 Kidding, of course. Know you don’t mean it. 8)

Clamping down on his jaws may work with a puppy, not so sure it would work with a pitbull, though.

If you have a skateboard, maybe you can hit the dog with it, or use it as a shield, trying to push it tip first into his mouth, ram it down his throat, so he can’t bite anymore (if it’s a big dog with a big mouth of course).

jjbklb

…\”I have noticed an effective control is to place the thumb where the upper and lower jaws meet. She can’t bite down and I can get her snout clamped too. …\”

i honestly can’t see the average person being able to achieve this on a non-compliant dog.I think you’re end up being ‘Thumb-less in Seattle\”

prekarious1

90% of dogs jump when they attack. A dog cannot see directly below its head. A quick front kick to the throat will put the dog disorientated on the ground usually choking (not paying 100% attention to you at the moment) giving you time to decide what the next course of action is. Actually trying to beat an animal without a weapon is asking to get messed up. If you don’t have something very hard or sharp to hit with, vacate area first free chance.

anonymous

I also heard gouging the eyes may work, if you are close enough.

prekarious1

I would guess gouging the eyes would work if you had a way to temporarily control the head. Especially if you were able to position so that your hands were coming from over and behind the dogs head? Most dogs are faster with their mouths then we usually give them credit for.

jburtonpdx

I was a garbage man for a number of years. We encountered lots and lots of dogs, most just looking for handouts from the back of the truck. Some where out to hurt us though. I found that if I quickly and with lots of power placed my steel toed boot just about anywhere on there head or neck they would either drop in place or run like crazy.

anonymous

Oh, and I thought only mailmen had to worry about dogs… 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: