Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Did anyone else feel dumb at there first class?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    coderedx

I had my first class today, got a good workout, and found out i am extremely out of shape haha.

I felt so dumb though, doing the techniques, especially the punches and kicks. I have no form/technique to them, and a lot of the other students have been doing it for a while already so i felt like a complete noob.

anyone else felt this way?

kirsten

Re: Did anyone else feel dumb at there first class?

ah.. everyone! Hang in there…

maddogmean

My first class. We were doing straight punches. I was standing in a karate fighting stance. With my body bladed sideways. I felt dumb when an instructor who wasn’t even teaching the class came in and corrected me.

Keep it up. You’ll get the technique down soon enough.

midnighter

quote coderedx:

I had my first class today, got a good workout, and found out i am extremely out of shape haha.

I felt so dumb though, doing the techniques, especially the punches and kicks. I have no form/technique to them, and a lot of the other students have been doing it for a while already so i felt like a complete noob.

anyone else felt this way?

Well you are a noob, but that isn’t a bad thing, it was your first class. thumbsup

voodoo

In order to be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid.

Hang in there mate!

— Voodoo

krav-harp

I’ve been in Level 1 since last July, and I still feel dumb! (just not all the time) 🙂

phlegmon27

You are not alone. Everybody starts at the begining, keep up the hard work and it will pay dividends.

clfmak

It wasn’t my first class, but when I learned to do an uppercut elbow I punched myself in the mouth and cut my hand open (I was a teenager with braces at the time).

tinykrav

I’ve been doing this for 8 months now and I’ve lost track of the number of times I’ve completely embarrassed myself. I’ve fallen, gotten directions mixed up on a drill and threw everybody else off, been pushed halfway across the room in a choke before I remembered the proper defense, hit myself in the face (did that twice last Friday), gone to elbow a pad and missed it entirely and went zooming past my partner (more than once!), and on and on and on. And that doesn’t even count Friday night Fight Class where I REALLY screw up.

Just get used to it and have fun! There will be times when you feel like you can do anything and there will be times when you wonder why they aren’t kicking you out! haha!

ericajow

Everybody feels that way in their first class. In fact, I feel that way every time I’m learning something new in Krav. Until my body gets the hang of it, I feel so uncoordinated! But that just means that it’s even more exhilarating when I actually GET it. 🙂 Keep going!

stevetuna

Not to worry – I felt real dumb in a km-X class last week – THAT I WAS TEACHING!!!

Oh yes, the joys of having a 10 year old daughter as a student…

blokrocbet

I stared with private classes but i sure felt dumb

devilnuts

quote CLFMak:

It wasn’t my first class, but when I learned to do an uppercut elbow I punched myself in the mouth and cut my hand open (I was a teenager with braces at the time).

My first week I elbowed the only dude in the class, who was on blood thinners, in the forehead. D’oh.

carpecanis

Don’t worry, everyone feels stoopid in their first class (or first few classes). It will quickly pass and you’ll feel like a genius when you take and pass your L1 test… only to go into your first L2 class and then you’ll feel stupid all over again.

mikwrigh

Feeling “stupid” equates to an opportunity to learn. Take your time and enjoy the journey. It all falls together with practice and time.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: