Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Did anyone else feel dumb at there first class?

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    doublej226

Re: Did anyone else feel dumb at there first class?

I started training about 4 months ago and felt the exact same way. My wife and I were actually laughing last night about how dumb we felt when we first started. You’ll get the hang of it, hang in there.
    We are getting ready to test for level two in a few weeks so we’re preparing to feel stupid all over again.

jenn

As others have said – I still feel dumb, even doing things I’ve done tens or hundreds of times. It’s a part of learning :D:

magamike

The secret to doing something dumb and getting away with it is to make it look like the dumb move was planned. Just accompany any awkward, confused, or mysteriously off-balance move with a satisfactorily aggressive “USH! or CHI! or HEEYAA!” I try to perform all my stupid moves in a style that suggests a hidden and deceptively powerful motive that would manifest itself as a devastating combative had it been delivered in an actual combat situation.

cigaro78

I wouldn’t worry about it – it’s perfectly normal in any group situation to feel out of place the first few times. Do your best, make friends, take your time and the anxiety will be gone in no time.

I remember when I first joined the gym, now I was so anxious of looking dumb doing the wrong moves or whatever, eventually as I became more dedicated to it that anxiety is now replaced with motivation and pride in my efforts. I still do ‘stooopid’ things, like one day I fell on my ass while doing some dumbbell squats, and I just smiled at the situation and moved on. **** happens, and one would have to be a real moron to do a simpsoniesque ‘ha-ah’ at someone else because of it.

I found that no one ever made fun of me at the gym or in a KM class by the way – goes to show these things are all in one’s head.

Enjoy!

maddogmean

quote MagaMike:

The secret to doing something dumb and getting away with it is to make it look like the dumb move was planned. Just accompany any awkward, confused, or mysteriously off-balance move with a satisfactorily aggressive “USH! or CHI! or HEEYAA!” I try to perform all my stupid moves in a style that suggests a hidden and deceptively powerful motive that would manifest itself as a devastating combative had it been delivered in an actual combat situation.

Good strategy.

krav-harp

quote :

The secret to doing something dumb and getting away with it is to make it look like the dumb move was planned.

That reminds me of advice from an old blues guitarist. He said something like, “If you play something wrong once, play it the same way again. Everyone will think that’s how it’s supposed to sound.”

tko99

quote CarpeCanis:

Don’t worry, everyone feels stoopid in their first class (or first few classes). It will quickly pass and you’ll feel like a genius when you take and pass your L1 test… only to go into your first L2 class and then you’ll feel stupid all over again.

I second that, based on personal experience (currently:(:).

Just hang in there. As long as there are people who correct you, that’s a good thing b/c they care about your development. When people stop correcting you (when your techniques are wrong), it means that they gave up on you. Don’t ever get discourage when others are correcting you or the number of times you get corrected.

I must admit, I felt out of place for the first wk or so in addition of that feeling that you don’t want to let your training partner down either.

ali-s

Oh yes – I felt really, really dumb. And not just for the first class – for a few months. The only thing that makes it better is training more – and then you get to that point where you body DOES what your brain tells it to. And let me tell you, that is pretty sweet. 🙂

–A–

randy

I think everybod feels that way, wether they have prior training or not. Just keep going and do care what you think others think. They are concerned with thier own thechnique. After a big battle with self consciousness in class, I finally decided just to consentrate on what I was doing, that I am there to learn for me.

dma2330

I am new to Krav Maga. Just completed my first month of training, I attend class 2 times a week. Any advice on how I can measure if I am making progress or not? And, what do they mean by level 1 and level 2? Are these the progression levels, kinda like awarding belt colors? I feel so “behind the curve.” But, I’m having fun!

magamike

quote dma2330:

I am new to Krav Maga. Just completed my first month of training, I attend class 2 times a week. Any advice on how I can measure if I am making progress or not? And, what do they mean by level 1 and level 2? Are these the progression levels, kinda like awarding belt colors? I feel so “behind the curve.” But, I’m having fun!

I’m just a little further down the road than you. I’d recommend buying the book “Complete Krav Maga” (search Amazon). It shows you all the techniques you are supposed to learn for the various levels. If you have been going for a month and taking two classes a week, you probably have already seen as much as 2/3rds of the Level 1 (yellow belt) material. You could realistically learn all the Level 1 stuff in a couple of hours, but to reinforce it into muscle memory so you can perform it on command and under stress/fatigue, you need to practice it in class over a few months.

With the book for guidance, you can practice many of the techniques at home. If you can find a friend or family member to help you, then you can really accelerate your learning.

If you need more physical conditioning, get the Bas Rutten workout CDs they talk about on this site a lot – you’ll build your endurance and striking technique fast that way.

susie

as others have said, its part of the learning curve. Take it easy on yourself, give it time. I’ve been doing Krav for just over a year and I’m a level 2, I feel stupid in class and ask for help but then put it into check: I’d rather feel stupid and ask for help then not know what to do when I NEED it.

Good for you to be in class trying. Great job!

irish

I haven’t even had my first class and I feel dumb.

coderedx: Everyone starts off like you, even if you’ve had other fight experience. I used to box years ago (more like decades ago) and had to UN-learn a lot of habits from that, so I felt like a total noobie at first, but as long as you pay attention, take all the guidance the instructors give you, AND put heart into your training, you’ll be fine.

dma2330: Same thing, Put all your heart into the training sessions, go all out instead of half hearted, and take the lessons seriously, and you’ll see change happening, even week to week. Keep at it, focus, and good luck!

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: