Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    xylem

From what im reading law enforcement & military are getting more training then say I would? Why? What if a xmilitary man attacks me or a xcop,there like anyone else theres good ones and bad ones!I would be the one paying the PRICE! Its a little Discriminative!! 🙁 ❓

njl

Are you joking? ❓

kravmdjeff

They get different training that is specific to the situations and duties their jobs require them to carry out.

swithred

Don’t worry, they are not keeping the ‘really good stuff’ for the cops only.

Cops have different needs than non-cops. For example, handcuffing skills . I would rather not waste my training time on learning what cops have to learn, like how to handcuff someone who is resisting, that kind of stuff. Takes time away from learning how to deliver devistation.

xylem

Don’t worry, they are not keeping the ‘really good stuff’ for the cops only.

Thanks your answer makes since.Thats exactly what i was wandering maybe dicrimitive was the wrong word. NO I WAS NOT JOKING!

sean-akrav

Why wouldn’t the military or police learn more than a civilian?

xylem

Like I said there is some bad people in the military and theres bad cops too.What if one of them wants to kick your ass for no resone? would you want to know how to fight back?Or would you just bend over and take it? Look im not saying all that are in the miitary are bad people And Im not saying all cops are bad people eather,just saying what IF? When it comes down to protecting your family and yourself whe should your knowledge be limited because your not this or that?? ? ❓

prowler

Last I checked, KM wasn’t also called the secret ninja dragon death touch system. Does anyone actually think cops and military personnel are being taught the triple-digit exploding heart technique? It’s just a matter of different objectives. Cops need to control their suspects, soldiers need to kill their enemies and civilians need to survive, neutralize and escape. You may need to use different methods to achieve each of those goals, but I think we can all agree KM is not about anything but common sense techniques, right?

kravmdjeff

Also, it’s pretty easy to tell if a predatory person (such as one who would want to beat the hell out of you for no reason) would be pretty easy to spot in a class. Usually guys with that attitude don’t feel the need for \”outside training\”, because in lots of situations, their desire to kick someone’s ass is more than enough to overcome their victim. Unless, of course, their \”victim\” has training of their own

psyops

What do you mean?

When I was in the military we all were taught how to walk on water, evaporate into a puff of smoke and fire weapons without ever needing to reload!

The need for \”restraining\” an attacker is not relevant to a \”victim\”. You need to defend, attack and escape. Police Officers usually restrain aggresors aftere beating the hell out of them. Sometimes even after the perps are \”restrained\” an officer might take a few more seconds to bash the perps head in. Typically this would be required if the \”suspect\” is dark skinned. lol…..

clfmak

If a former law enforcement or military person wanted to hurt you, why would they choose an unarmed method?

maskedkat

Re:

quote \”xylem\:

Like I said there is some bad people in the military and theres bad cops too.What if one of them wants to kick your ass for no resone? \\:?:

Speaking as a mental health professional, the term we use for this type of person is an \”asshole.\” Apologies for the psychobabble.

Seriously though, no shortage of them in the civillian population or military/law enforcement population. And I’d venture to say it’s entirely possible for a civillian to learn plenty of nasty ass-kicking tricks without the benefit of boot camp or police academy or, for that matter, KM classes. That’s why I’m taking KM – to defend myself against assholes, regardless of their profession.

raddu

Specific Examples

As others have said, it depends on what the purpose is, defense, restraint, or killing.

Here’s a specific example. I’m new to Krav and in one of my recent classes we learned the defense for a choke from behind. Along with grabbing the hands at your throat the first move is to step offline, to the right, or left, it doesn’t matter.

My instructor made a side note that if you’re wearing a sidearm or some other weapon at your right hip you would never want to step to your left because this puts your weapon in easy reach of your attacker. He said they teach police to step to their right if possible.

As a civilian it will probably not matter 99% of the time, unless you usually carry a weapon; however, that is a major point to police and military personel.

Also, military personel would have to learn how to use their rifles as a melee weapon in close combat, something we civilians would probably never need to use, although I’m sure the techniques are similar to ones I’ve learned in other martial arts for sticks and canes.

So, there’s probably not much that you’re missing.

lumpy

Xylem, I have been a LEO for 15 years. I just returned from the Series 1 KM LEO instructors course this week. Swithred and Raddu are exactly correct. Everything we leared was incoorporated in the civillian KM classes except for weapons retention and some firearms takeaways. Wearing a holstered firearm on your hip during confrontation creates a whole new litney of issues. You are always bringing a deadly weapon to the fight. For this reason, KM LEO classes stress weapons retention, positioning and as the instructor John Pascall put it, \”Fighting like you are the third monkey on Noah’s ark!\”

Even before attending the LEO class, KM has served me well in law enforcement. LEOs can not make the decision to leave the area during or after the confrontation. They must make an arrest and take the subject into custody. Other differences are on firearms takeaways. An LEO should alway use the weapon in his holster, as he/she knows it it functional and they are qualified on the weapon for litigation reasons. There are no other real major differences, choke escapes are the same, you should just turn your holstered firearm away from the subject..etc..

Remember in the end, a cop still has to justify their actions, just as a citizen does. Hope this helps.

kravjeff

I’m glad there were finally a few comments on weapons retention – Seemed obvious to me I guess that you don’t want to move your holstered sidearm right to the attackers grip … Plus, sure there are assholes in every profession, but wouldn’t you agree there are less in LE than, oh say, drug dealer, or even just the general population?

OK maybe the percentage is the similar to the general population, but I’d be willing to bet it’s much less likely that they’re predatory. 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: