Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books Do I need to train for 3.3 years to get the brown belt ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    computex

Hi

Do I need to train for 3.3 years to get the Brown Belt ?

As written in the book , the average training time for each level is :

Level 1 : 4 Months
    Level 2 : 6 Months
    Level 3 : 9 Months
    Level 4 : 9 Months
    Level 5 : 12 Months

It’s about 3.3 years , can I minimize it to 2 years , like training 4 times a week ?

Thanks

rq

Hello – I’m wondering the same questions – how often do you train now?

Right now I’m training every day and wondering if I could possibly advance quicker by going to more than one class a day?

rq

Also, going how many times per week are for the posted timeframes?

computex
    quote :

I’m wondering the same questions – how often do you train now?

I don’t train because I don’t have near class

Waiting … 8)

bobg

Let me preface this to say that I am not currently taking classes. I have taken KM before, and will again after the holidays. Its been a few years though…

The time listed is average based on two times a week. ‘Average’ being the key word. Some who are exceptional can advance quicker. Some may need more time. So, its really up to the individual.

Training everyday could make you advance quicker, but only if you have the skill. Time in training doesn’t necessarlily equate to skill level. And, KM doesn’t give belts based on time in training, but rather on how well you can perform the techniques.

So, the easy answer is….maybe 🙂

Remember this though, its not about the belt levels. Its about being able to survive a violent encounter (or avoid one). Belts are nice to have as goals, and can help the instructors see where you’re at……but learning is the priority. I have met many people with no formal training and no belts, yet were very capable of defending themselves.

Hope this helps.

giant-killer

I agree with Bob, skill is much more important than belts. The belt itself won’t help you if that 300 pound attacker is shoving a gun into your face inside a dark, deserted side street at 1am in the morning. 🙁

That said, I don’t know what’s possible now, but I remember years ago when I first started those times were more like minimum times and they wouldn’t let you test sooner, no matter how many classes you were taking. However, things may be a bit more flexible now.

I do believe it takes time to acquire true form and skills, so I think 3.3 years sounds pretty reasonable for Brown Belt. No reason to rush it.

bradm

In Krav Maga, I always perferred to refer to advancement in levels (1, 2, 3 etc) instead of belts.

mara-jade

Ditto on skill being more important than belts. In the beginning, hubby and I had more time to focus on KM so in about 9 months we got our level 2 belts. Last year we were almost ready to go for 3 when he had several injuries. I kept training but he had to step back and heal.

Home life changed last year and now we hope to get back on track. Sure, to say you’ve got that next belt is awesome but who’s rushing you? Life happens – work, school (whatever it is), so there’s times KM has to take a back seat. I hate when that happen cause I miss seeing the instructors and my friends. Also – getting to be up hubby doesn’t hurt either 😉

Train till you feel comfortable with what you need to know and you have the techniques down. KM’s not a race. To me now it’s more important to say YOU KNOW you can defend yourself. That attacker ain’t gonna care you’ve got a belt. 😀

rq

Although my main focus is NOT on the belt – I think of the levels as sort of a guage if you will on proficiency of techniques.

This is only my first week in Krav, but I figure if I am capable of advancing to the next level, that must mean that I have a grasp on the previous level, and the faster I advance that would mean (hopefully) the better I would be able to defend myself if an attack occurred.

Just my thoughts on why I would like to advance as quickly as possible.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

REPOST

REPOST:

[quote:5d645fe964=\”computex\”]Thanks for your reply

[quote:5d645fe964=\”MJ\”]he belt itself won’t help you if that 300 pound attacker is shoving a gun into your face inside a dark, deserted side street at 1am in the morning.[/quote:5d645fe964]

Sure , what I meant is can I learn advanced techniques in less than 3.3 years ?

quote :

In Krav Maga, I always perferred to refer to advancement in levels (1, 2, 3 etc) instead of belts.

I’m with you at this point , because belts and dans are for japaneese martial arts not to KM

quote :

Ditto on skill being more important than belts. In the beginning, hubby and I had more time to focus on KM so in about 9 months we got our level 2 belts. Last year we were almost ready to go for 3 when he had several injuries. I kept training but he had to step back and heal.

Home life changed last year and now we hope to get back on track. Sure, to say you’ve got that next belt is awesome but who’s rushing you? Life happens – work, school (whatever it is), so there’s times KM has to take a back seat. I hate when that happen cause I miss seeing the instructors and my friends. Also – getting to be up hubby doesn’t hurt either Wink

Train till you feel comfortable with what you need to know and you have the techniques down. KM’s not a race. To me now it’s more important to say YOU KNOW you can defend yourself. That attacker ain’t gonna care you’ve got a belt.

Thank you for your story , it’s great to learn other experience[/quote:5d645fe964]

mara-jade

CJ – thanks for posting his reply. I thought I saw it sitting by its lonesome 😀

computex – you’re welcome :). There’s been quite a few times I’ve had to start over of sorts. My endurance went to pot, so had to take fitness classes for a while to get back. Maybe something at home kept me from coming, so again had to start over.

You’ll do fine as long as you KNOW you’ve got what it takes 😀

blindfold

I have always set my goals as to how well I can learn the techniques and show them to others who may be new to KM. If I have learn the techniques well enough and the instructor asks me to help a new person and they get it after a few days, means I know the techniques well enough for myself.

Where I attend they don’t do level testing and it is very disturbing to most of the people there, but we are all more into the training then a belt. We would like higher level training and they can keep the belts for someone who cares. I have the book and videos and several of us go over some of the higher level stuff just to learn it.

leejam99

This might be for those of you trying to acheive higher levels but everyone should understand that its not only the technques that you need to know, its also the principles of our techniques. Just knowing the body motions is only a part of it. You should really know why we do what we do if you really want to acheive higher levels in the system and for your own knoweldge.

James

h2h

unfortunately injuries happen and will delay you as well in your process.

A question pertaining to all of this.

Living on the east coast I can only advance to level 3.

Are there plans any time in the future to allow advancement above that? Getting to California is not a likelihood for a number of reasons. One being military commitments.

Thanks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: