Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books Do I need to train for 3.3 years to get the brown belt ?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    ryan

This is not true. There are several places on the east coast that can take you to brown belt level, and ready you for black belt. As a matter of fact, there are at least two in VA/DC.

la-revancha

How about we start with some smaller, more tangible goals, like finding a facility first and beginning your training?

jjk
    quote La Revancha:

How about we start with some smaller, more tangible goals, like finding a facility first and beginning your training?

Heh yea. No offense, but I find that MOST people who ask this question aren’t around three years later to hear the answer. But hey, if you’re planning the next couple years of your life with KM, more power to ya.

Re: Do I need to train for 3.3 years to get the brown belt ?

quote Ryan:

This is not true. There are several places on the east coast that can take you to brown belt level, and ready you for black belt. As a matter of fact, there are at least two in VA/DC.

Really??

Because I was told by my instructor that level 3 was as far as I could advance unless I could make it to California to train.

ryan

Send me an e-mail…[email protected]

blindfold

Just to all of you feel a little more at ease with your belt ranking.

I have been doing KM for 2 years and have no belt at all. thumbsup

But, I have alot of fun learning and watching new people suffer for the first few weeks. rofl2

At our school they don’t do level testing so after 3.3 years, I’ll be a no belt. At least that’s what my son says.

rq

quote blindfold:

Just to all of you feel a little more at ease with your belt ranking.

I have been doing KM for 2 years and have no belt at all. thumbsup

But, I have alot of fun learning and watching new people suffer for the first few weeks. rofl2

At our school they don’t do level testing so after 3.3 years, I’ll be a no belt. At least that’s what my son says.

Just curious, you have no desire to learn the more advanced techniques?

blindfold

I go over alot of the video and book drills with others before class starts.

That’s about as good as it gets. We have several people who have been doing KM for 7 to 8 years.

There aren’t any schools down here to go to for more advanced training. I would have to travel to at least NC, to visit RHEK.
    It’s not a very feasible plan for training.

So I’ll deal.

bradm

quote blindfold:

I go over alot of the video and book drills with others before class starts.

That’s about as good as it gets. We have several people who have been doing KM for 7 to 8 years.

There aren’t any schools down here to go to for more advanced training. I would have to travel to at least NC, to visit RHEK.
    It’s not a very feasible plan for training.

So I’ll deal.

This is another example of the lack of good Krav Maga in Florida. After receiving great training in Krav Maga for 3 years and then moving to Florida, I was so disappointed in the training I got hear. Everything we seemed to do was at level-1. The training was all physical – punching, kicking, striking pads, etc. and sparring. Very little self defense training. Being a level-3 student, I wanted more than a pluck from a front choke or being a “sparring dummie” for some idiot that thought he wanted to be a MMA fighter. So I quit Krav Maga and sought out alternatives.

blindfold

One good thing about where I go is that we do cover quite a bit of stuff. We cover all of the level 1 and most of the level 2. This is of course going by the book.

The funny part is that I bought the book and let them borrow it to refresh what have forgotten.

blindfold

We also come up with ideas of techniques to practice from the book and DVD’s, once class is over. Usually we have 15 to 20 minutes before the instructor starts to throw us out.

My son and daughter help to clean up, so he gives us a little time.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote BradM:

This is another example of the lack of good Krav Maga in Florida. After receiving great training in Krav Maga for 3 years and then moving to Florida, I was so disappointed in the training I got hear. Everything we seemed to do was at level-1. The training was all physical – punching, kicking, striking pads, etc. and sparring. Very little self defense training. Being a level-3 student, I wanted more than a pluck from a front choke or being a “sparring dummie” for some idiot that thought he wanted to be a MMA fighter. So I quit Krav Maga and sought out alternatives.

Brad sounds like you should do phase yourself and fix the problem for everyone in your area thumbsup

bradm

“Brad sounds like you should do phase yourself and fix the problem for everyone in your area”

Sean,
    Believe me I’ve thought about it. But, there’s a couple things holding me back – lack of fees, and fear of failure. I no longer train at a school and have no one to sponser me and pay the cost or at least help pay the cost. Then being 65 almost 66, I fear I would be in that 30% that don’t make it. I’m in pretty good shape for 65 and trained in Krav Maga for three years or so, but doubt I could compete with the younger folks who do this stuff for a living. Not to brag, but I was (at least the instructors and other students told me) one of the best sudents when I trained in GA. I could handle any of the physical drills and learned the techniques quite easily. But, training a couple hours a day, 2 or 3 days a week is a lot different than phase training, 8 – 10 hours a day for seven days – so I’ve been told anyway. Also, being almost 66, how beneficial would it be even if I could complete and pass Phase training? I mean, how many years would I be able to teach quality Krav.

A while back, Ryan Hoover offered to help me with an apprentice program (or something like that) to help me get certified and defray some of the cost. But, I never persued it. (My bad Ryan.) So I really can’t complain there.

Bottom line, I just wish there was a school in Central Florida close enough to me where I could train in quality Krav Maga. I have mentioned it many times before on the forum and have conversed with John Whitman about it via email. He told me KMAA was looking into it and that schools here would be closed down if they did not conform. I have not checked the schools out in over a year, so I don’t know if any improvements have been made or not. Guess you can say I’ve given up.

rq

What’s the cost of going through phase CJsdad? I’ve been wondering that.

blindfold

I think the Phase cost wouldn’t be near as expensive as the missed work and room and board. I have given it some thought as well and it’s just not very likely to happen soon.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: