Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Do Men and Women Train Together at Your School????

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    kravjitsu

Re: Do Men and Women Train Together at Your School????

Ok, so I had a talk with the head instructor. Basically, the short of it is that though it is not an official rule, he does not want women to feel uncomfortable. Instead of having to sort through which women are ok with training with men and which aren’t, he thinks it’s just easier to have women train with each other to learn the techniques I guess so they won’t be scare away.

Apparently in the green belt and higher class, he expects folks are pretty serious at that point so he is more open about mixed ground training there.

He did say for me since I am obviously comfortable that he wants me to be able to get training with men. Hopefully that will be communicated to the other instructors so they know it’s okay too.

It’s not totally the outcome I would have wanted. It is great that things may loosen up more for me since I spoke up. I just think about other women who most won’t probably stick around until green belt. What if she just stays 6 months to a year? Seems to me that women are just kind of allowed to coast a bit… all in the name of not wanting to scare them off. From that standpoint I could not say they are truly prepared unless they are someone like me who likes to be assertive and be extremely serious about training.

I will say that when I see the green belt and up class it has always looked like a noticeable jump in intensity for sure. I think that should be in the lower belt classes as well.

gunhandbags

quote Kirsten:

Speaking from a LE perspective, with the number of women committing violent acts it would be short sighted to not train with a woman. We are putting more and more female targets on the shooting range instead of the traditionally male “offender” looking targets. An active shooter, a terrorist, or any suspect for that matter should be a non-gender specific model. Male (and female) officers need to get used to the idea that they may need to use force against a female. Same goes for physical self-defense training… Equality is not just on the rise in society, but in the criminal population as well.

I agree that training should be OK with women. I know I would prefer it that way. I’m just looking into it after a friend got into it and suggested it. I don’t think I’d be crazy about working it with guys.

kravgal57

Interesting question. I’m level 1 and have had no problems with it… even after last week when we had our partners sitting on top of us and trying to break free from that. (I was probably bigger than the guy anyhow.) Lots of times there is an odd number of women and I end up with a male.

I’ve had more of a problem in my all levels class where I get paired with a much higher level, but that’s for another thread.

quote kravjitsu:

he does not want women to feel uncomfortable. Instead of having to sort through which women are ok with training with men and which aren’t, he thinks it’s just easier to have women train with each other to learn the techniques I guess so they won’t be scare away.

While I’m not a business owner and don’t have to deal with maintaining a profit, this approach is what lulls people into a false sense of security and “badassery”.

rivve

We tend to mix it up between the genders, mostly because our trainer encourages it

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: