Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books Do the Inside Defense (Straight Punch Block) really work?

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    kevinmack

Re: Do the Inside Defense (Straight Punch Block) really work?

Our Inside Defense is based on the instinctive movement of of reaching our hands out towards a punch. Thats why we use it and why it works. The same thing with 360. Take beginner students and have them glove up and spar and what you will see is a bunch of people punching punches. Its an innate reflex. We build off that reflex by turning that hand movement in to a deflection and the other hand movement turns in to a punch. Its all flinch response turned in to a defensive structure.

Re: Do the Inside Defense (Straight Punch Block) really work?

Recently new Level 2 student here. 🙂

I know I’m a little late to this discussion, but this video with Michael Jai White talking to Kimbo Slice about punching, gave me a new perspective on practicing inside defenses (and all Level 2 sparring, for that matter).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdPP0TmqKiU

My point being (and go ahead and correct me if I’m wrong), a punch that’s thrown from the elbow (ie: a weak punch in training, trying not to hurt our partners) is probably far more difficult to block than would be an exaggerated, purposely telegraphed straight thrown from the shoulder.

By my reasoning, I figure if Kimbo Slice can’t block a jab thrown from the elbow, I shouldn’t be surprised when I can’t either.

Although I did like this answer, and will remember it during my next class:

quote MadDogMean:

I had similar issues. During class the instructor pointed out that there was too much hand movement and not enough head movement. Take a look at how much of each you’re doing. In my KM stance with my hands open and out front. I would simply turn my palm toward the punch and make a very subtle redirect (almost no movement toward the punch). I mostly take my head offline from the punch. That’s also pretty subtle movement. Like others said…if you here a slap…you’re attacking the punch and not redirecting. The hand should just run down the length of the arm. The instructor said to imagine a center line in front of you. Your head moves a fraction one way and the punch is directed a fraction the other way. These smaller movements made me faster at these defenses.
Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: