Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    hm2pac

Tonight my wife raised a great question…..

“What does Krav teach about a person being attacked by a dog?”

Her mother was attacked last year. Bitten, scratched, broken ankle and a cast for 6-8 weeks.

As dog attacks are just as common if not more so, than human attacks, does KM ever address this type of defense?

Just curious.

mara-jade

Re: Dog Attack Defense

I tried a search but dog and dog attack bring too many common words. You may wanna start here

http://kmforum.kravmaga.com/showthread.php?t=3436&highlight=attack

dirty-harry

Punch it in the eye. Kick and stomp it until it’s broken. Attack it with the same ferocity it attack you with. I can’t think of an alternative apart from running.

hm2pac

Mara Jade, thanx for the link. I searched, but only came up with odd references to the word “dog”.

D Harry……I’m fast, but not that fast.

Funnily enough, our instructor had the group running through some dog attack drills not so long ago. Somehow I don’t think this was part of the official KM curriculum, but was a ‘custom design’ based on an experience the instructor had. Follows the principles of KM to the letter though.

Basically the drill went like this:

‘Dog’ (other student holding ‘tombstone’ pad down low) approaches aggressively.

Respond with low kicks (other student drops ‘dog’ on ground) continue with stomping downward kicks of devastation to the ‘dog’.

Move back.

Additional ingredient: look around for a stick (or other weapon of opportunity) to pummel ‘dog’. The stick can also be used to keep any irate dog owner at bay (wave aggressively in figure eight pattern while telling them to keep back).

This drill was a lot of fun, as you could imagine, with students doing their best dog impersonations & people pummeling the tombstone pads with great enthousiasm.

Fwiw: In the original incident which inspired the dog drill, simply wielding a stick and an aggressive posture was enough to discourage both the dog and the angry owner.

silas

Post ” Self defense against dogs ” here in the general forum page 14. I’ll try to link it but but im a forum noob so it might not work.
    http://kmforum.kravmaga.com/showthread.php?t=3436

jjbklb

Main thing is…..

Don’t be a Pussy.

back4more

Low kicks are definitely effective – I’ve used them on two occasions. An outside slap kick discouraged an advancing dog. The snout is a very sensitive area. Another time, my dog was being mauled and all I could do was send repeated kicks to the balls. Go for whatever opening you can, HARD!

jdoc

quote jjbklb:

Main thing is…..

Don’t be a Pussy.

LOL:jerry:

If not being a p*ssy works for you guys – that’s great,

As for me – the tombstone pad dog drill was a great one & I know that if it comes down to it, I will be smashing any misbehaving pooch into oblivion especially since the procedure is now installed in the software,,,

Fwiw – some US statistics on dog attacks:

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/statistics.html

A survey by the national Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta (“CDC”) concluded that dogs bite nearly 2% of the U.S. population — more than 4.7 million people annually.

Children are the most frequent targets

Studies of dog bite injuries have reported that:
    The median age of patients bitten was 15 years, with children, especially boys aged 5 to 9 years, having the highest incidence rate
    The odds that a bite victim will be a child are 3.2 to 1. (CDC.)
    Children seen in emergency departments were more likely than older persons to be bitten on the face, neck, and head. 77% of injuries to children under 10 years old are facial.
    Severe injuries occur almost exclusively in children less than 10 years of age.
    The majority of dog attacks (61%) happen at home or in a familiar place.
    The vast majority of biting dogs (77%) belong to the victim’s family or a friend.
    When a child less than 4 years old is the victim, the family dog was the attacker half the time (47%), and the attack almost always happened in the family home (90%).

Real life dog attack courtesy of tha toob..

Check out the awesome split-second reactions from this officer & his partner:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGUyMFPJRnU

omfgnoogies

I’ve had dogs all my life and been bitten twice. Often enough peole put their hands out to deflect the dog and then the dogs clamp on your wrist and pull you down to the floor and pin you. Thats a bad place to be. Aside from the dog potentially piercing the artery in your wrist, its gonna tear your face up.

One thing for sure is that its much harder to bite a flat surface. So i would think a heel first downward push kick (Marcus Kowal style 🙂 ) Might be your safest bet, but i dont think thats end the fight either.

Dogs do have very soft stomachs. Could do a tremendous amount of damage there.

quote OMFGnoogies:

Often enough peole put their hands out to deflect the dog and then the dogs clamp on your wrist and pull you down to the floor and pin you. Thats a bad place to be. Aside from the dog potentially piercing the artery in your wrist, its gonna tear your face up.

Interesting – indeed, in the clip just before the officer draws his gun you can see the dog try to chomp on his wrist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGUyMFPJRnU

There’s a lot of food for thought in that incident:

Juvenile animal at 6 mos old and just look at the aggression & determination in the attack,

Took two grown men trained in police and lethal force tactics, a 9MM and a taser to repel the attack.

Imagine how a child or elderly person would have fared..

It appears that the dog also somehow instinctively recognizes the danger once the officer drew his gun & trained it on the dog, but maybe it was something else that made it break off the attack at that point (just prior to getting tazed).

Awesome reactions all round from the officers. IMO holding fire was the best choice considering – small, fast moving target / pavement-ricochets / partner nearby / bystanders & children nearby.

omfgnoogies

quote Chocolate Soldier:

It appears that the dog also somehow instinctively recognizes the danger once the officer drew his gun & trained it on the dog, but maybe it was something else that made it break off the attack at that point (just prior to getting tazed).

I think its because the partner was moving around behind the dog. As soon as hes within 10 ft the dog notices and moves away.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: