Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Expert Level Vs. Master Level

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    petion2000

What is the difference between Expert and Master level? Is there some sort of hierarchy? Thanks!

giant-killer

Re: Expert Level Vs. Master Level

Those are IKMF terms. It’s a different organization. Not sure what they mean exactly.

mara-jade

I thought there was expert level for instructors.

policynutz

Hi, I’m usually a major lurker who is just interested in other peoples opinions, but seeming that I study under the IKMF in Canada, I can clarify this for you. In the hierarchy of the IKMF, there are three levels, Practioner or “P” levels 1-5, next there is the graduate or “G” levels 1-5, which are generally instuctors beginning from G1. Finally, the highest ranking instructors who usually are in charge of training instuctors and military, security forces, and VIP protection agents are generally in the Expert or “E” levels 1-3. The IKMF does not follow a colour belt system such as KMW, but the levels pretty much work out to be the same. For example, P-5 would approximate to a black belt in KMW terms. Above the “P” levels, I’m not sure, because KMW does not clarify what comes after achieving black belt status.

mara-jade

Welcome to the forum!:wav:

I’d been googling on that earlier and your explanation really helps – thanksthumbsup

policynutz

My pleasure, and thanks for the welcome…I guess I no longer have any excuse to remain lurking in the shadows!!

mara-jade

Yup, you’re right – we SEE you. Don’t be a stranger in the future. The more the merrier.:D:

petion2000

Thanks Policynutz:

You’ve explained and made a lot of thing clearer. However, what’s the master level? Is it the same as Expert level?

policynutz

Sorry, I forgot to mention Master levels. I am unaware of how many people possess this type of rank, although it would be a handful at most. For example, the two people that recieved founder’s diplomas from Imi Lichtenfeld, Eyal Yanilov and Darren Levine, are considered by most to be two of the top authorities on KM. Darren, (according to IKMF standards) holds Expert Level 6, while Eyal holds Master Level 3. In other words, one must study KM at very high levels for decades in order to reach this level of skill. Master Level is the highest level one can achieve in the IKMF period. I hope that this helps clarify your question.

giant-killer

So Master Level comes after Expert Level? How many Expert Levels and Master Levels are there? Don’t some people have both, such as Expert1/Master1 or something like that? Seems a bit more complicated than our system…

policynutz

You are correct, some people do hold both levels, and to tell you the truth I have absolutely no idea how that works. For sure Master Level does come after Expert level though. I know that Eyal holds Master Level 3/Expert Level 8, but from what I have been told, and this is even on the IKMF website, public persons such as myself can only train up to Expert Level 3. My guess is that they reserve training above this level to the upper echelon of the KM world, or those who require training at this level (I can’t see anyone needing this much training). Yes the IKMF seems vastly more complicated than KMW. But I have even had my own confusion about KMW. For example, when you guys reach black belt, I believe that you can train to be instructors. How much higher up the ladder can one progress beyond this point in your organization? My guess is that only a few select individual rise very high, but perhaps I am wrong. In any event, I am still trying to work myself up to P5, so figuring out the innerworkings of higher levels in KM organizations seems kind redundant I suppose.

mara-jade

Ah, ok – I see what you mean now. I saw this on IKMF’s website in part:

” Mr. Yanilov is the only individual who carries the highest grade ever given by Imi (Master level 3/Expert level 8) and holds the unique “Founder’s Diploma of Excellence” (This diploma was given only to two persons, the other – one of Eyal’s top students, Mr. Darren Levine, Expert level 6, of the United States).”

andy-m

Hi all,

Just to clarify, under the current structure the four sections of IKMF are Practitioner, Graduate, Expert then Master. Each section is divided into five levels: Practitioner Levels 1-5, Graduate Levels 1-5; and Expert Levels 1-5. At the Master section there are 3 levels: Master 1-3.

As I understand it, and I am very happy to be corrected on this, what were formerly known as Expert 6, 7 and 8 are now Master 1, 2 and 3 respectively.

In terms of Master level practitioners in the IKMF, I can think of only a handful, although there may be more. The ones that come to mind are Eyal Yanilov (Master 3), Gabi Noah (Master 2), Avi Moyal (Master 1) and Eli Ben-Ami (Master 1).

Hope that adds some further clarity.

kevin-mack

Mr. Yanilov is the only individual who carries the highest grade ever given by Imi (Master level 3/Expert level 8) and holds the unique “Founder’s Diploma of Excellence” (This diploma was given only to two persons, the other – one of Eyal’s top students, Mr. Darren Levine, Expert level 6, of the United States).”

This is slightly misleading as Imi granted belt grades and Dans. Krav Maga has been a belted martial art since it entered the civilian realm. When Eyal started the IKMF he decided to implement his own grading system……I know the IKMF states that this was Imi’s idea and that he wanted to get rid of the belt system but if that was true why didnt any of his other leading instructors do away with it? Haim Zut’s org and the IKMA still use belt ranks and even wear them 😉
    KMWW seems to be a blend of the two and I am going to assume that the idea of levels in the org was due to Eyals mentorship to Darren.
    There is nothing wrong with a belt system and I personally thing its the best system cause it allows for growth in KM before teaching prematurely.

johnwhitman

I don’t usually post anymore, but I think I can help.

KMW doesn’t use terminology such as Expert or Master to describe someone’s level. There is a particular level of INSTRUCTOR TRAINING that is called “expert series” (hence the confusion). However, that describes the training program, not necessarily the individuals.

In a similar fashion, the initial section of INSTRUCTOR TRAINING is called “phase training.” Again, these are just names given to the training modules.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: