Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Expert Level Vs. Master Level

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    mara-jade

Re: Expert Level Vs. Master Level

John! Great to ‘see’ you senor. Hope things are going well. Thanks very much for signing mine and hubby’s KM books. It was a KICK BUTT seminar you gave herethumbsup

Ok, end of thread hijack:D:

psyops

Well since it was brought up.

The IKMA and its members are opposed to the idea that an instructor can be allowed to teach without first being a student for 10 years or more. I have had this conversation with members of their organization and they are quite critical of KMWW regarding the cerification process of KMWW. The IKMA considers itself a “Martial Art”. KMWW does not consider Krav Maga a martial art.

The philosophies are very different and that is why various terminology also are different. What’s of note is that Dror Bikel, the head instructor for the IKMA in the states, has never trained with John Whitman or Darren Levine. So take the criticism with a grain of salt. I think there is a lot more to this than training methods but I won’t get into that now.

giant-killer

John! Always good to hear from you! Wished you were still posting sometimes, especially in the technique section, we could really use your expertise there… Hope you are doing well.

Psyops, I think you are mixing up the IKMA and KMF in New York. I think those are two different organizations. Dror Bikel is with KMF.

As for Expert Level going from 1-5, how come Eyal is Expert 8 then? It really is confusing…

I think Darren got his 6th degree BB from the IKMF (the certificate was signed by Eyal). But I guess we would just call it 6th degree BB now, not “Expert 6”. Anyway, Darren is the highest ranking BB in the KMAA. Then there are a few 4th degree BB, maybe one or two 3rd degree and 2nd degree. I know at least two people should be testing soon for 2nd degree. Wow, my head is spinning….

unstpabl1

:OhMy: Getting pretty complicated in the krav world these days. Sounds like kenpo where everyone now is wearing a 9th degree or better. Ninpo is up to 15th degrees. Are these guys martial artists or Masons. There is a saying less is more. The oppoisite is sometimes more is frikken ridiculous.

Wing Tsun used a practioner then expert ranking. It was a way to make more seminar money and testing fees. Their a big force in Europe

kevin-mack

GK is correct…you are confusing the IKMA with the KMF of Haim Zut and Rhon Mizrachi.
    The thing I like the most about belts is the sense of lineage and growth in the system. I received all my belts from the same instructor who received all his belts from Imi. His growth and knowledge in the system came from Imi and his top instructors and my growth comes from him and by default his instructors. My rank does not come from an organization or a course run by several instructors(not saying thats bad..my own instructor went through the 1981 instructor course in Netanya) but an individual who saw me develop from day one. I know that when I receive a belt that I am at a certain level and not at a certain level for that one day I am tested. This is why I also like the BJJ belt system….while some BJJ instructors give belt tests most just award their students the belt when they feel that they are at that level. Its much more personal and in my opinion more rewarding.
    But thats just me.

dave-bluestein

Master and Expert levels are terms used in IKMF. If my memory serves me correctlly the breakdown is as follows:

Black Belt Dan 1-5 was Expert 1-5 (they used to wear black belts)
    Black Belt Dan 6-10 was Master 1-5 (Master 1-4 was a red and white belt, while Master 10 was a solid red belt (only Imi possessed this, and he never wore it….he only wore a black belt)

Hope this helps…I’m pretty sure it is accurate.

Dave

Why the hell are we wasting brain cells on this? Shut up and train. :angry:

kevin-mack

While this is an IKMA promo video I thought it was interesting cause you get to see some historical footage of Imi presiding over a belt ceremony. If it is inappropriate to post it here feel free to delete it.
    There is very little historical fooage or literature about Imi and Krav out there so it is nice to spread it around.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=9FhfYG5Ov6M

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Thanks for posting the video, your right theres not much footage of Imi.

giant-killer

Another thing I thought of, isn’t it so that any belt given after 4th degree BB is not just given for skill, but also for the work an individual has done to spread the system?

petion2000

<<In terms of Master level practitioners in the IKMF, I can think of only a handful, although there may be more. The ones that come to mind are Eyal Yanilov (Master 3), Gabi Noah (Master 2), Avi Moyal (Master 1) and Eli Ben-Ami (Master 1).>>

Thanks! I checked the IKMF site, and Gabi Noah is not a Master Level 1. He’s a Master level 2. He apparently just got it.

giant-killer

I wonder if the heads of the various federations, such as Darren or Eyal, could ever go up in rank? If they are the highest ranking persons, who would test them?

unstpabl1

quote Giant Killer:

I wonder if the heads of the various federations, such as Darren or Eyal, could ever go up in rank? If they are the highest ranking persons, who would test them?

i think like in kenpo it was given by their students or various martial art federations that give out rankings to all types of martial arts

andy-m

quote petion2000:

<<In terms of Master level practitioners in the IKMF, I can think of only a handful, although there may be more. The ones that come to mind are Eyal Yanilov (Master 3), Gabi Noah (Master 2), Avi Moyal (Master 1) and Eli Ben-Ami (Master 1).>>

Thanks! I checked the IKMF site, and Gabi Noah is not a Master Level 1. He’s a Master level 2. He apparently just got it.

Umm, isn’t that what I typed? Gabi got his Master 2 around the middle of last year.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: