Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    oldkravdude

We are starting a fight class at our facility. Does anyone have any good drills/ideas for the classes?

One good drill to start beginners off with that we use (my assistant instructor Matt came up with this) was to put the Bas boxing cd on and have one person be the attacker and the other defend. This helps the defender as he knows what is coming and can defend. We then add on to this with the thai boxing cd and then the all around fight cd. On the all around cd when boss yells \”defense\” the attacker goes for a takedown and the defender does a takedown defense/sprawl.

Another thing to do with the Bas boxing cd is have the mitt holder take the mount and the person on the bottom do the punching – it’ll wear you out good if you are turning your body.

I appreciate your ideas!!

jburtonpdx
    quote :

Another thing to do with the Bas boxing cd is have the mitt holder take the mount and the person on the bottom do the punching – it’ll wear you out good if you are turning your body.

PURE EVIL

giant-killer

Why you would use the Bas CD if you have the actual teachers there to give the commands? Unless it’s just for a quick warm-up, primarily using tapes might be boring.

Not sure what level the class is, but it’s always good to mix stand-up and ground, maybe throw in some takedowns and sparring. Personally, as a student, I always like classes where the teacher tries to make the students better fighters and also explains things and shows them how to improve their skills, rather than just having them punch something without much instruction. Having students do combinations to the other student (who either absorbs or defends) can be useful, too, so one learns how to hit an actual target, not just mitts or pads.

Also vision drills are very useful. One person attacks, the other defends, then throw more and more attacks as the defender improves, or let him do the defense and add one counter etc. You can’t fight well if you don’t learn how to see the punches coming.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

OlderKravDude

This is a good question.

When teaching a beginner or even intermediate class after the cardio/stretch warm up I really like to do mirror review with the emphasis on punching technique NOT speed. That gives you the instructor the opportunity to make sure things like hooks and uppercuts are performed correctly. Posture and footwork are essential building blocks for power and speed.

To many times Iíve seen beginner classís where the instructor says ìok shadow boxî and the new guys simply look around see guys throwing punchs oh thatís what Iím supposed to do.

Donít forget the basics remember to explain to them what angles are and clock theory things like a step drag come naturally to us but to them its like your speaking French.

Iíll bet youíll even see some of your more advanced KM students having better footwork doing KM drills.

Another good tip that Iím sure most will agree with me is that its really important to have the focus mitt holders understand proper positioning when holding for a partner.

Especially when they get into multiple techniques new guys can get confused when they hear too much info at once and hold a jab instead of a hook or a hook instead of an uppercut. Theres nothing I hate more then getting stuck in class with someone who can’t hold for me.

Also make sure that both you and your assistant have the same style of calling out the techniques as a CD or the Bas tapes your using.

Some will say ì3î others will say jab/right cross/left hook or 1,2,3 ñ right uppercut. Consistency in method will really help your students to react on audible when tired.

The most important thing Iíve learned when teaching MT/KB is not to move past students skill levels.

That and keep yur darn hands up!

Good luck with the class and dont be afraid to email me and tell me to STFU 🙂

Sean

giant-killer

If it’s more of a KM style fighting class, you could also consider adding some street fighting scenarios, such as two on one fighting (slowly at first, building the students), or let them spar slowly, then have one guy draw a knife. Or knife fighting on the ground or standing up. Or fighting for a bit, then picking up a weapon (such as a stick or pad), then attacking with it (then the other person can do the defense). Would all have to be controlled of course.

oldkravdude

Thanks CJ’s dad. It’s basically a bunch of level 2 and up students. They have good basics, we’re just adding a fight class and looking for drills that work for others.

GK, why would we do the Bas cd’s? Cuz it’s cool. It’s a drill we use, not an all the time thing. Drills – kinda like what I’m asking others for.

unstpabl1

Re:

quote \”OldKravDude\:

GK, why would we do the Bas cd’s? Cuz it’s cool. It’s a drill we use, not an all the time thing. Drills – kinda like what I’m asking others for.

Hey OKD

I think I’m gonna end up pissing you off on this, but it trithfully is not my intention. Which is why I’m taking the time to preface it, I just want to be honest. If I’m sitting in a class and the teacher puts on another instructors cd for us to workout to, I start think what do I need the instructor for. I can just buy Bas’s stuff and do it myself. Its not that borrowing drills and techniques isn’t done by everyone but most take the time to internalize the drill and then share. Preception is everything especially when trying to turn students on to new classes.

I hope you take the post in the spirit being helpful, not critical, but I totally understand if you don’t 😀

Mike

garddawg

GK and Unstple1,
    We often use the Bas tapes. Not because we are lazy teachers or want to make the class boring, well maybe I am lazy, but certainly not the guys who teach with me, but rather when calling the combos there is little time to correct or help the people in the class.
    With Bas calling the combos, my instructors have the freedom to stand with people and help them work.

Of course I have the same freedom to move around and help people, but I generally just sit on my a$$ and watch, or take a break. 😆

vwr32

Re:

quote \”unstpabl1\:

If I’m sitting in a class and the teacher puts on another instructors cd for us to workout to, I start think what do I need the instructor for. I can just buy Bas’s stuff and do it myself.

I’d have to agree with that. As a student I’d be extremely disappointed if I show up for class and I’m taking instruction from a video. I can do that in my garage.

Plus, it puts it into a funny category for me… the students pay money to the school, so the school ends up profiting from airing of the video. Bas only receives the royalties from the sale of one video, but all students get to use it. If the roles were reversed, could I set up a \”krav class\” based on krav videos and profit from the showing? Someone in the loop isn’t getting their fair cut, and being a fan of both I would want both to be duely compensated. Maybe it’s a common occurance, but if my class ends up doing this I’ll be forced to buy the video myself so I can sleep at night lol.

ryan

It’s a CD, not a video, and I agree with garddawg’s explanation. It’s a training tool, not a substitution for instruction.

BTW, Bas is well aware that the CDs are used in this manner, and I’ve heard him recommend it on more than one occasion.

unstpabl1

Hey Jeff

It just sounded odd to read it, at first I thought GK had misread it. But I see your point if you can use it to free yourself up to walk around and stress proper mechanics then it makes total sense to me.

i teach acting which is a craft, inspite of what HWD will tell you. i am real sensitive to actors and coaches phoning things in. So I’m very focused when learning something and hold those I trust to eye the things their teaching me to be as enthusiastic.

unstpabl1

Re:

quote \”Ryan\:

It’s a CD, not a video, and I agree with garddawg’s explanation. It’s a training tool, not a substitution for instruction.

BTW, Bas is well aware that the CDs are used in this manner, and I’ve heard him recommend it on more than one occasion.

Hey Ryan been awhile. I already posted to Garddawg, so we agree

The thing is preception of the students. Its not what you do, but what the student percieves your doing. I’ve sat in tons of different types of classes over the years. One thing I noticed is most teachers over talk and don’t pay attention to what they are recieving back.

When I prepare a class or evaluate my teaching or performance after, thats one of the key questions I ask myself, how did the audience percieve it? I wasn’t trying to be critical of the practice. In fact I really went out of my way to try to express where I was coming from. However 3 seperate people responded to the post in a similar manner. The only non instructors to respond and they came to the same conclusion. I think thats pretty great feedback to recieve and its very easy to overcome. Simply tell the student what the purpose of the evalution is. Why your doing what your doing? Hope that helps? How did your seminar go?

vwr32

Re:

quote \”Ryan\:

I’ll bet it’s a dvd and not a cd. Thanks for the clarification on Bas’ approval too.

Maybe it would be different if I participated in a class where I’m taking instruction from a tv (be it video, cd, or dvd), but hearing about it in here leaves me thinking it wouldn’t be much different than on the tv in my garage.

Sorry, not everyone will agree.

Edit: Ahhh, my bad… these are audio CD’s and not videos…. thus the correction. I missed it in the beginning. Yeah, I have a cd player in the garage too lol…

Sorry, if all that’s coming from the speakers is someone yelling a command and the class is reacting, I can see other’s point where it would be helpful to have the instructors floating around helping. I had this image of a whole class staring at the tv learning the next move.

ryan

Mike, I understand your comments, and while there was feedback here from students, I don’t think any of them actually understood what was being explained.

I think if any of you participated in a class where I used this as a tool (and I haven’t done so in maybe two years, but I just might now), you’d see it’s value. It’s a tool. It’s not meant to be a substitute, and it’s not used for an entire class (10-15 minutes for me.) Hope this helps.

vwr32

Re:

quote \”Ryan\:

Mike, I understand your comments, and while there was feedback here from students, I don’t think any of them actually understood what was being explained.

I think if any of you participated in a class where I used this as a tool (and I haven’t done so in maybe two years, but I just might now), you’d see it’s value. It’s a tool. It’s not meant to be a substitute, and it’s not used for an entire class (10-15 minutes for me.) Hope this helps.

Agreed 100%, and as a student I do try to keep an open mind that I need to be open to new ways of doing things… but keep in mind that if I’m taking instruction from someone on a video or cd, I feel pretty confident I’m intelligent enough to do that on my own. From what I see here, Bas’ voice yelling out \”attack\” or \”defense\” isn’t much different than having the students react to an interval timer. My concern with that is it removes any element of surprise for knowing when the attack is coming. But I’d still do my best if my instructor decides to incorporate training videos/cd’s other than Krav cirriculum into our training.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: