Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    cjs-dad
    Keymaster

This is one of those times I wish I were a mod, because this thread would get split into a new one so guys could continue the outside material discussion further without taking this thread too far off topic.

Anyone feel like further discussing that topic please open a new thread Iíd be glad to be my opinionated self it in.

But lets keep the ìfight class drillsî train of thought in here for our fine older gentleman from the state of Ohio

(this is the part wher I try and swing things back on topic)

Can anyone suggest some station drills as well for our friend

unstpabl1

Re:

quote \”OldKravDude\:

Another statement you made that perplexes me is that the MMA world doesn’t take Krav serious. I have never heard that before. MMA guys don’t respect a single area martial art that teaches that just stand up, just ground or just kicking is the ultimate self defense. They know you need it all and Krav is teaching that you need it all. They kno wthat we aren’t training people for their competitions but taking housewives, white colar workers, etc. and making them well rounded.

OKD

Its actually an interesting dicotomy and I think that when I have PO’d krav instructors, it has been about stuff like this. I finished a conversation on another board the other day where the Gracie Barra guy asked Are there any videos out there of krav guys not doing San Soo self defense or puching bags? Do they ever work against resiting opponents?. Later after I found a stand up sparring vid, His comment was Thats basic kickboxing. 🙄 you could feel the derision. This is a common reaction, suprisingly as it may seem. Its one of the reasons I started posting on a krav forum , when I don’t train in it.. It didn’t match the preception of the krav I’d seen and always wanted to train in.

The san soo comment is a hard core slam,especially because of a video thats floating around. The basic kb line suprised me, cause what were his expectaions. Anyway there are many reasons for this preception which I’ve brought up in the past, not to slam KMAA, but to try to help and to find out for myself. Unless an mma guy comes and watches the right types of class, he’s not going to get it. He walks in skeptical if he walks in at all. Sad thing is they compliment each other so well

I realise this took a great thread off topic, but the drill took us to perception, by some idiot(Unstpabl1) Sorry

mike

garddawg

I have an idea. Let’s have John Whitman record some CD’s where he says, 1…….3…….Defense……….. 4………4………3. Then the CD’s would be Krav CD’s and they would be okay to use. I for one would feel much better about using CD’s made by John than bringing in a CD where Bas was heard saying 1…….3…….Defense……….. 4………4………3.

jburtonpdx

SSSSSOOOOOOOOOO another drill I was thinking of is…..

Scenario based stuff – carrying groceries to the car, standing at a bus stop (with stuff for work in hands, maybe with headphones on), holding a baby in arms or maybe baby in a stroller….

forget it, lets just fight. I will stand there and anybody that wants can come up and start a fight with me…. I will respond as I see fit. 8)

wait is that Krav or are we reaching \”outside the system\” to much? sorry had to throw in a little sarcasm.

bradm

10 second fight for your life.

Here’s one drill we done a few times when I took Krav in Georgia. All the students donned their sparring gear. They would form a large circle (depending how many students were in class). One student would step in the middle. The insturctor would select one student from the circle to jump in and spar with the one in the middle. They would spar for about 10 – 15 seconds. Then the instructor would yell switch and the student that jumped in would jump back out and another student would jump in and spar with the one in the middle for 10 – 15 seconds. This would continue until all the students in the circle had sparred with the one in the middle. They poor guy in the middle sparred continuously with all the students in the circle. It was very tiring for the guy in the middle because he had to face a new fresh opponent every 10 – 15 seconds. That’s why we called it the \”10second fight for your life\” i guess 😈

Each student took his turn in the middle.

garddawg

BradM,
    We used to call that \”Pig in the middle\”. Used to use it in wrestling, boxing. Have used it in Krav Maga as well both with sparring and techniques.

Oh my GOD! I brought something in from the outside!

jburtonpdx,
    Used the one holding a baby. We used a tombstone pad to simulate the baby. After the students had done the drill I told them they could have, done it better and proceeded to show them how they could have used the \”baby\” to beat the attacker into submission. Some of the class didn’t appreciate my sense of humor.

giant-killer

Maybe, if it’s your neighbor’s kid… 🙂

Anyway, personally I do think it makes sense to bring in outside systems. At the NTC we have BJJ and MMA classes, also Muay Thai and Boxing and they all compliment KM well. We don’t usually play the Bas tape anymore but use what is called the \”Bas combination\”. Basically, the timer is put on, one of the students has either focus mitts or thai pads and yells out the 1-4 combination for the other student.

johnl-d11

Lets just put pads on and start swinging.. sound good? 😀

vwr32

Re:

quote \”JohnL\:

Lets just put pads on and start swinging.. sound good? 😀

Speaking of which, thought this might add a new dimension to training.

http://www.revgear.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2452&osCsid=8321443e640a0b07df76c8bfa5ee5a4c

jburtonpdx
    quote :

Lets just put pads on and start swinging.. sound good?

I dunno – you always kick me in the head…. Then I get mad and start throwing hard punches, it just degenerates from there…..

Heh, sure sounds fun! 😈

oldkravdude

Unstp, The gracie guy you mentioned has to realize that the tapes out there are for very beginners. You are right that if he saw the right class (have him watch a John, Michael or Darren led class) he would get it. A straight self defense guy may deride his art as unpractical, just getting submissions and in trouble with multi attackers or if their is a weapon involved. People think whatever they do is the answer and put everything else down. I can even be guilty of that!!

Cj’s dad, I am not really that damned old! Just feel like it after years of Krav! Anyhow, thanks for starting the other thread and for trying to make this about drill ideas. I have gotten a few from this thread. I’m not really clueless, I have a lot of drills, but I am always looking for more.

Thanks!!

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

LOL it’s unstops fault he’s quick to point out how young I am (43) so when I saw \”old Krav Dude\” well.. you must be old!!! Hence the old ìerî Krav dude

j/k buddy best of luck with the new class and I think your post benefited everyone.

garddawg

CJ’s Dad and Unstpble1
    Does that suit look familiar from the clip of the test I sent you. 😉

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Re:

quote \”garddawg\:

CJ’s Dad and Unstpble1
    Does that suit look familiar from the clip of the test I sent you. 😉

ya think? LOL

unstpabl1

Re:

quote \”OldKravDude\:

Unstp, The gracie guy you mentioned has to realize that the tapes out there are for very beginners. You are right that if he saw the right class (have him watch a John, Michael or Darren led class) he would get it. A straight self defense guy may deride his art as unpractical, just getting submissions and in trouble with multi attackers or if their is a weapon involved. People think whatever they do is the answer and put everything else down. I can even be guilty of that!!
    Thanks!!

I totally agree with you. Sean and I on another post were talking about being krav Skeptical, stuff I’ve posted of concerns weren’t to slam. They were legitamate questions. Of course there gonna piss the true believer off, but they are the concerns someone looking at RBSD is going to question, especially if they have an understanding of a lot of disappointment in trying systems or experience in combat sport arts.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: