Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics First Krav class at ATA….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    future-swat

Ok first off let me say i have seen alot of good krav online and on vids.The ATA class i attended tonight was total bs.I was in better shape than anybody in the class.Everybody in there were total dorks.Nothing like the athletes i seen training on there website.They were all dead after 100 jump jacks 20 pushups and 20 crunches(this was supposed to be the high intensity fitness part of the class,laughable to me)i guess if you are outta shape that would be hard.

I was very dissapointed i was hoping to be challenged and pushed to my breaking point,as i have heard on this forum and about other krav classes.i barely learned anything as nobody else knew what they were doin.I picked up on the stuff fast,maybe because of my prior combat training.Everyone else seemed to have downs syndrom and acted like the stuff was rocket science,so i spent more time listening to the coach explain to them how to do it, than actually doin it.

The class was only 45 mins long maybe 30 actual minutes of learning moves.Blocks and 1 takedown that i already knew from my wrestling days.Then after he tried to talk me into a contract which i obviously declined.They test for belts every 12 weeks which i guess he thought would impress me.I don’t give a crap about belts i care about learning.

i dunno if this was just a beginners class or what but they have 3 lvls and they only train 2 nights a week so not sure when or where the higher lvls train.I can tell you one thing though they won’t get a buck from me.

If anybody has info on a good krav school in or near Va Beach please let me know.I will def not waste my money on this place,it def isn’t the krav i was hoping for.I guess it’s back to BJJ for me till i can find a good krav school.I hope you still let me post on these forums as i am interested in krav,REAL Krav not some crap taught at a mcdojo like the one i wasted an hour of my day in tonight.:dunno:

maddogmean

Re: First Krav class at ATA….

You will see quite a bit of people that are out of shape in level 1 classes. I know I was one of those guys. I wasn’t overweight, but definitely had a gut. The warm up killed me every time. Now I go to class at least 3 days a week, sometimes 2 classes back to back. I’m in better shape now than when I was in high school. A friend of mine, dropped 30lbs since joining and is one of the best students in class. One of the benefits of Krav Maga is that it’s accessible to everyone reagardless of fitness or age. Sounds like you’ve had some MA training before, you may find the techniques simple. The system is designed that way, especially in level 1.

Check out the KMWW website or IKMF website (only two KM organizations that I know about) for locations. Good luck in finding a school. Hope you don’t give up on the system.

maddogmean

BTW in another thread, a person had some concerns about ATA level testing that sounds questionable in my opinion. I’d copy and paste the link but I’m on my iPhone. It’s a recent topic on General KM topics.

bjelder

Yikes… that is all.

future-swat

Ty for your responses Madog.Love eastwood btw:)This place is supposedly an official KMWW affiliate or whatever that thing is called(im still new to this system).This def was not what they portrayed in their website vid.I didn’t mean to offened anybody by calling these people dorks.But im used to training with athletes.

I assumed goin in there would be people who really aren’t very athletic and are eager to learn self defense.But this was honestly a joke.In the website vid it showed people drenched in sweat goin through vigirous workouts while a coach yelled at em(the warmup/fitness program was maybe 10 mins i didn’t even break a sweat)They showed guys hitting pads,fully padded guys(multiple)attacking 1 person and that person fighting em.Maybe this was a seminar they went to and played it off like it was a average class.I dunno.

I do know im am interested in Krav,but this isn’t it.I am lookin hard now to find a good school in my area.The only one i can find though so far is in Maryland:(Will keep lookin.In the meantime i will stick with BJJ.I def plan on keeping posting here though as i am highly interested in Krav.Im just not gonna get ripped off at some mcdojo claiming to teach it,when it seemed to me all they are teaching is some poor fool a false sense of security.

Also they want 170 a month for only 2 nights a week.The class was barely an hour long.I’ll be danged if i pay 170 a month for barely 2 hours of training.Hell i pay 140 a month at my BJJ gym,and i can go 6 nights a week if i so desire and the classes are almost 2 hours long.I really do hope i find a good school near me.

maddogmean

I hear ya. I wouldn’t join any school I wasn’t confident in. That’s why they let you try out a class. I can tell you that I’m enrolled at an excellent school that is purely KM and fitness revolving around KM, and there are all kinds of people that train there. When I started in Level 1, I trained with triathletes as well as senior citizens. I’ve trained with law enforcement officers and amputees. I don’t think you’ll find a school that doesn’t have a majority of everyday folks taking classes. People are interested in Krav Maga because they are interested in personal safety coupled with personal fitness. I’ve seen many level 1 students that didn’t know how to throw a punch…but over time they’ll learn.

When visiting a school look at the instructor’s teaching methods rather than the students there. You may also want to look in on a more advanced class. See if it’s just beginners being beginners or if issues persist in the advanced levels.

Keep up the training in BJJ. Maybe you’ll find a KM school you can call home.

dixonmj

That’s pretty pricey, especially for only 2 days a week. I agree with one of the other posts. Be more concerned with the staff than the students. There’ll be people of all fitness levels, more so in the beginner classes. At the end of the day, do what you’re doing..trust your gut feeling about a place. Any good organization is going to have some instructors that slipped through the cracks or they water down the teaching to get and keep as many fools as they can to sign their contracts. It’s a problem all styles have.

The system is very effective, but it is only as good as the individual instructor and the effort you put forth. I’m glad you take your training seriously, since KM isn’t a sport, it’s about survival.

I’ll post any links I find, if they might help you out. But, I cannot personally vouch for a specific school in your area. Hopefully, someone else can help you out there. Good luck!

munki1

Yes a level 1 class is going to have quite a mix.

It’s common for them to have very experience folks like you as well as 16 and 60 yo guys and girls who have never thrown a punch or done 20 push ups in a row in their life. That doesn’t make them dorks.

ATA Krav warm ups for me have been about 15 minutes just to get you a little warmed up and streched out to lesson the chance of injury. Thats all it’s for. The real workout is a one hour session before KM which I usually take. Both are offered 5 days a week in the evening as well as some days at noon and saturday.

I wasn’t overweight to begin with but I still lost fat and gained muscle to a net result of about 17 lbs gained and it’s all muscle spread out nicely.

Although I’m looking into whether we are being shorted when it comes to testing our instructor is all about mindset and real world thought. It’s reinforced many times every single class.

The only reason I care about testing is because I want to get into a higher-level only class.

To the OP all I can say is try another instructor. Good grief man it’s only an hour. :):

unstpabl1

Avoided this for a bit as I don’t really see a personal upside.

From being around here a bit, some ATA schools can be questionable….I’m not saying all or most or even that their bad, just that every so often it pops up.

Why? Well as in most cases krav is not the main product their selling at least I’m assuming that in this case, especially with only a 2 day a week schedule. you won’t find this in a dedicated KMAA school for obvious reasons

I think the rate of $170 is more than I would consider paying for 8 classes a month unless that included a dinner show and brothel after each class as well as an open bar. Hell, thats $30 less bjj pricing in Los Angeles.thumbsup So I agree with you on this

Your expectations of a beginners krav class is simply unrealistic and its something your going to have to deal with in any new system you go to. As Bruce Lee said you going to have to empty your cup

First, if you’ve been involved in the M/A’s your whole life, your going to know more, pick up quicker and be in better shape than anyone else in a Level 1 class. There is a reason, its a class to condition and teach the fundamentals of the system from the ground up. You’ve just gone back to kindergarten. Most will be deconditioned and and many will move like they had Downs sydrome as they sruggle to coordinate mind and body. Unfortunately, thats how we learn new skills in fits and spurts. Hoping to be pushed to your breaking point in your very 1st class is unrealistic, if you’ve been rolling for years

I’m disturbed though by the lack of empathy for others in your post, when I consider the fact that you say you’ve been a long time trainer and want to be a LEO. The more skilled always help out the weaker in the good classes I’ve been in and good training partners grow more than the ones they help. You get more than you give but you have to give 1st. If you think the level of trainees are weak in an L1 class, there are many suprises awaiting you at your academy. Many whom you’ll deem unworthy to be there, some you’ll be right on. I’m not judging or trying to put you down in anyway. Its just something that came through in your posts which may be unintentional and a result of high expectations

You also wanted to do Fight class on day 1 from your other posts. This again is an unrealistic expectation.Most schools you have to wait till you pss L1.

WHY? Why do you have to start at the beginning and wait for fight class…I know all this crap:): Even though you may have a strong base, the learning of the systems fundamentals is as important as anything else. Its what you’ll build your krav house with. Now, if you pick up things and have all the skillz you believe you have you’ll move up quickly, but like anything else laying the ground work is essential. Not allow Fight till the basics in this style is learned is a great idea. Most bite off more than they can chew then quit and also the need to make sure you play well with others. a scool has the obligation to protect byou as well as their students from you.

More importantly is the fact that this is a military system. You learn all the same in evolutions, breaking everything down to its simplest movement, drilling it, then moving on to the next element till the whole thing can be applied. It can be boring if you have prior training at first till you realize how it improves your game. You teach by assuming nobody knows s#@$ and progress from there. Your academy will probably have a similar teaching style. This is how krav brings up raw soft recruits to 70 y/o’s from moving like they have “down’s syndrome” :OhMy:to the videos you like. Unfortunately, if your not soft..you still have to go through it, but if you have the right attitude, not only will you breeze thru it…you’ll excell…if you don’t..you’ll just become softer

Anyway. it sounds like your making a good decision for yourself…just wanted to oint out a few things to consider…I wish you luck in finding a krav school…maybe there is a Force instructor from whatever academy your accepted to who may be talked into some privates, which would be a more personalized instruction

Hope it helps and welcome to the forum

future-swat

Unstopable1.Yes i see your point.I may have had higher expectations goin in since im used to training with athletes all around tough guy types lol:)However with my years of training i can pick a good coach out and this was not one.He even forgot to show us a move one time cause he got to caught up in talking about how bad somebody would be hurt if we did a certain elbow strike on them,how they would be in the hospital ect.I honestly have no faith in someone who just assumes cause you do something to somebody this is gonna instantly end the attack.I got in a fight with a guy one time broke his nose and cracked his eye socket,he was still coming at me like the terminator.

He also proceeded to talk about how hard he could hit.You don’t want me to elbow you in the nose like this trust me.I believe was one of his comments.Then he learned that in my past i had a black belt in taekwondo from ATA.He then went on to perform the black belt kata with horrible form lol.Then when i told him i would have to think about it before i signed on for the class he got really defensive and talked about how you couldn’t find a better place for self defense than here.

I appologize again to anybody i may have offended for calling some of the people dorks.It wasn’t intended to come out like that.Like i have stated before i have a type A personallity and it is hard to satisfy me lol:)But the coach wasn’t any better and i have a knack for picking out good coaches as ive been around em since high school.

When i can find a Krav school that i can go atleast 3 to 4 nights a week,and the coach doesn’t have the im a badass alla steven segal attitude.Then i know i will have a Krav gym to call my home.Alas atm it seems in my area the only places that teach Krav are ATA affiliated.Too bad im not rich then i could simply go to isreal and learn hehe:)

unstpabl1

If thre is another ATA school in the area, it may not have the same mentality as the other. It would be worth checking if thats the case as implied in your post.

If your trying to get into an academy or maybe the local PD has a Force instructor who may do privates while you continue the bjj. If not till a kmaa gym opens in the area, privates in boxing will help or Muay Thai and a reality based weapons class like AMOK or Dog Drothers

Krav is a great system as I’ve seen it, But I live in L.A.. If its not available in your area with an instructor your comfortable with and your considering a carreer as a LEO and trying to prepare for it, you have to look at the tools in your tool box and see what is needed. There are always options.

kirsten

I am sorry you had such a bad class. The best thing you can do to prepare for a future in LEO is to stay in excellent physical condition, work on your spelling and comprehension, practice speaking and work on answering typical oral board questions out loud. This is really the biggest area of importance.

The force training is of zero consideration when your going through the application process and initial FTEP training. They will give you the DT’s you need (well the DT’s they want you to have) at the academy. However, train in KM if that is something that interests you and you can find a quality instructor in your area. It may be worth it to find a place a little further away and just do seminars as they come available…

But if your training for fun, fitness and to learn a bit- then unstpabl1 is dead on with his advice to find anything good to train that you may like and is more reality based in nature.

future-swat

quote unstpabl1:

If thre is another ATA school in the area, it may not have the same mentality as the other. It would be worth checking if thats the case as implied in your post.

If your trying to get into an academy or maybe the local PD has a Force instructor who may do privates while you continue the bjj. If not till a kmaa gym opens in the area, privates in boxing will help or Muay Thai and a reality based weapons class like AMOK or Dog Drothers

Krav is a great system as I’ve seen it, But I live in L.A.. If its not available in your area with an instructor your comfortable with and your considering a carreer as a LEO and trying to prepare for it, you have to look at the tools in your tool box and see what is needed. There are always options.

Funny that you mention dog brothers.When the movie the hunted came out years ago,i looked into this system that they teach.Sayoc Kali.I def enjoyed it but it got a little to political and pricey for my taste.Plus there is so much argument now over who teaches the real deal and who doesn’t it’s kinda a turnoff.I would def jump at the chance to train with the dog brothers though lol,without a doubt.

bradm

Future Swat,
    Unstbal1 is correct. If there are other ATA schools in the area, check them out. I’ve posted this before, so i’ll make it short. I trained in Krav at an ATA school in Ga for almost 4 years and it was great. When I moved to Orlando and continued Krav at an ATA school here, it was not very good. I quit after a couple months. Point is, there are good and bad in every organization. Good luck in finding a training facility.

krujoe

IMHO I wouldn’t look at a class like this to get into shape. I’d rather spend the time working disarms, DT and practical training. Doing push-ups, Jumping Jacks, etc would be a waste of time. Especially for an hour class that meets twice a week.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: