Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Funny KM references in new \"24\" book

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    anonymous

I checked out John’s \”24\” book the other day and was surprised when I came across some familiar-sounding names:

There is a \”Dr Viatour\” (reminding me of Thierry Viatour, KM Europe). Also a \”Todd Romond\” (similar to Matt Romond, NTC). Even more strikingly, a landlady worries about making sure \”Junior Merkle\” (NTC) \”didn’t honk his horn and shout at three o’clock in the morning after playing drums in whatever band he was part of.\” Then, best of all, there is \”Kokushi Matsumoto\” (KM Tokyo), the \”Prime Minister of Japan\”, who is described as being \”always a strong ally\”.

Also, at one point, the CTU agents are sent over to the intersection of \”Olympic and Colby\”, which just happens to be the intersection where the NTC is located.

All mere coincidence or silent tribute I wonder?

taikei

Coincidence.
    Kokushi is a Japanese noun for \”nationalist\”, name Matsumoto is a typical last name like \”Johnson\”.

Didn’t know my instructor was playing prime minister. Where is he these days.

chris

You know, I got seasons 4 & 5 of 24 on DVD (never watched it on tv but I like it) and there is no question that the stunt coordinators have the performers on that show utilize Krav moves. It’s ingrained into the show on some level. Maybe the producers decided to implement it and that filtered down to the novelist when they were commissioned?

adamadam

If you have a look at the link below, it says that Tony Almeida is a Certified Krav Maga Instructor in his bio!

http://www.fox.com/24/profiles/season4/ta.htm

anonymous

I don’t think it \”filtered down\” to the novelist, more like the other way around, since the novelist is one of the heads of KM in the US. 8)

Okay, so the Kokushi thing is pure coincidence then… 😉 Made me laugh though, when I read it. With Kokushi as Prime Minister, they really wouldn’t need Jack Bauer at all, Kokushi could just take care of it! 😀

Tony Almeida KM expert? Hmmm, that’s interesting. Not sure I’ve seen him do KM moves on the show, but maybe I haven’t been looking for it. I’ll look for it now. Unfortunately Jack doesn’t seem to know KM according to his bio and he might need it more than Tony.

dukiejf

It’s been a while since I’ve seen season 2 of 24, but I seem to remember Jack doing something like a handgun to chest defense against Tony in that scene where he breaks Tony’s ankle. Vaguely Kravish, I dunno.

meangene

24 is by far the greatest TV show of all time. And i have noticed some Krav Maga action in some of the fight scenes. Not to mention that Krav Maga has been in quite a few movies as well.

anonymous

I’ve only seen parts of season two and three, so I’m no expert, but I like the show. I guess the new season starts tomorrow, so let’s all watch closely for those hidden KM references. Maybe I’ll get to be chancellor of Germany! 😀

kravmdjeff

What’s really funny is Tom Clancy’s Krav Maga reference in the novel \”Splinter Cell\” (most of you probably recognize the name from the video game) in which a spy trains at a Krav Maga facility in Towson, MD (note: there is no Krav Maga facility in Towson, MD…only a lot of rowdy college kids that drink too much. Krav Maga Maryland’s Owings Mills facility is about a ten-fifteen minute drive away, though). I don’t remember the exact reference, but apparantly one of the instructors hits the spy with a \”spinning heel kick to the kidney\” during a sparring session.

Us Krav folks in Maryland found that quite funny.

anonymous

Spinning heel kick to the kidney? Doesn’t sound very Krav-like.

Now that it turns out that Tony Almeida is a KM instructor, maybe he could be giving some KM lessons at the NTC in the next \”24\” novel. Then the terrorists could come in and fight the KM students and it would be a huge brawl, but of course the KM students would prevail and kick some serious terrorist butt. 😈

mikes
    quote :

Tony Almeida KM expert? Hmmm, that’s interesting. Not sure I’ve seen him do KM moves on the show, but maybe I haven’t been looking for it.
    quote :

Now that it turns out that Tony Almeida is a KM instructor, maybe he could be giving some KM lessons at the NTC in the next \”24\” novel

FYI – Tony Almeda died last season

anonymous

Damn, thanks for spoiling, I’m only up to the middle of season 3. 🙁 But, it’s okay, I forgive you. 😀

The novels are really supposed to take place before season 1, so all of the characters are still alive, Nina is still with CTU etc. Plenty of time for Tony to come and teach at the NTC. 😀

I saw this year’s seaon premiere and didn’t like this new CTU boss or the other characters. Tony was good, why did they kill him off? Ryan Chappelle was good also. Good characters. That new guy either looks like a banker or a Star Trek captain reject. 😆

bradm

Who all saw the four hour (2 hours, 2 days) season opener. Nuke attack in LA. 😥 Hope you guys at NTC all survive. 😛

kravjeff

Re:

quote \”KravMDjeff\:

What’s really funny is Tom Clancy’s Krav Maga reference in the novel \”Splinter Cell\” (most of you probably recognize the name from the video game) in which a spy trains at a Krav Maga facility in Towson, MD (note: there is no Krav Maga facility in Towson, MD…

Reading Operation Barracuda (I think that was the title) was the first time I’d heard of Krav Maga … After a little online research, I was training! Thanks Tom Clancy!!!

8)

anonymous

I’m not worried about the nukes – I’m just worried about the snow that’s falling in Brentwood! 😯 🙁 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: