Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Getting totally owned in fight class… Help!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Re: Getting totally owned in fight class… Help!

quote DKatman:

I had this one guy stand right in front of me, throw his leg out and back heal me in the nose (yes, through my head gear). I could not believe how he even did it, let alone how I could just stand there and not move away. I was glad my nose wasn’t broken (and I wasn’t so sure it wasn’t at first).Then I let the same fool kick me in the back of the head not more than ten minutes later. I am not even sure which direction that kick started.

Fool?

dkatman

quote CJs Dad:

Fool?

HA!!!! I wasn’t calling anyone out.

I guess that could be added to the quotes, although it wasn’t in a post:

“What? Did you think it was a joke (The flying spinning axe kick)?

miriam

quote CJs Dad:

Fool?

Uh oh, Dave… you have awakened and enraged the beast!!! :OhMy:

fiend

Been out for a couple days there, wow these responses are awesome. I’m downloading this page to my computer so I can reference it often. It’s probably going to take me a few weeks to even make a dent in absorbing all this great advice, but I’ll write an update next week on how it went. Thanks everyone!

kirk

Dave: I hear you on the kick and not know where it even started or came from. Not in Krav (I’m not lvl 2 yet to spar) but in a previous MA, I was sparring an instructor and out of no where, all of a sudden… BAM!!!

Round house to the jaw and I dropped like a ton ‘o bricks!!

After I picked myself up I noticed two things: One I was holding back because of his rank. Two, he (at the time) was a friend and I didn’t take any aggresion into the sparring session.

I have a bad habit of holding back and “pulling punching” with my training partners because I don’t want anyone to her hurt.

Well after I got dropped, needless to say I didn’t care how many times he hit me or where, I was going after him like I should have from the begining. I landed some great shots, unfortunitly for every one good one, I got 5 of his!

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

All jokes aside you can’t really compare the two it’s not a fair benchmark for your skill level. That was a pretty large lvl 3/4 class (25ish) and imho you were easily the best person I sparred. Having said that I was impressed that you excelled beyond your peers.

And as you know I sparred the entire class, twice. So I have a pretty good baseline.

FWIW I didn’t do a JSFAK I was just having fun and you did great. Thanks for holding back. 🙂

gabe

I learned how to punch greatly with boxing classes, i have a friend that gives them so i show up at least once a week there to practice some punching techniques and learn new things, he also is an MMA fighter so he teaches me how to fight properly and use all opportunitys.

kirsten

I would say that since you are enrolled in a KM class, you seem to be thinking of self-defense and not the fighting aspect. See if you can take some private lessons or find a friend that is a beginner like you and meet up a few times to spar at your own pace and work on putting the pieces together.

Mostly, just don’t get so down on yourself. It takes A LOT of time to get proficient at sparring. There is a lot to overcome, practice, learn, and just DO in general. Take it easy on yourself and the rest will come.

As for head gear, we don’t use them and I don’t even sell them. But unless you are on the fight team and taking the fight team classes, you have to wear at least a 16 oz full glove. NO MMA GLOVES or crappy sporting chain store ADDIDAS cheap gloves! Since we stopped using headgear, we have fewer injuries and fewer KO’s. The guys have better control and it doesn’t save your nose anyway. However, you must follow the rules of your training center and every KM school I know makes them a requirement.

So good luck and don’t quit, just keep going and doing your best and you will get there soon enough.

g-v

quote DKatman:

OK – I wrote so much, I wanted to put this at the top. Someone very early on recommended jumping rope a lot to get me better conditioned for footwork. I need to start that again.

Oh yes. I think within the first three classes, I might have been one of the guys “owning” you. I remember feeling so good. I barely got hit. I was able to move around and felt really comfortable. That all changed, but those were the good ole days.

My training partner and I started together. He was great at KM; aggressive, technically proficient. But he was very frustrated in intro to fight. I am taller. I am longer. I was much more aggressive while sparring. We switched partners often. I saw the same things in others. They were wide eyed. They really didn’t want me to hit them. They would retreat and think about defending my attacks. I learned that if I kept throwing jabs, even if they had next to nothing on them, I could keep my opponent worrying about getting hit and they would forget to throw at me.

Man was I proud of myself. But it also made me look at myself and how it went for me. I also switched to a partner that looked visibly scared of fighting. (Oooh! I need to preface this with pointing out how when you spar and train with someone regularly, you learn them. even at 50%, you go a little harder because you know each others limits. Conversely, you go a little lighter when you know someone and don’t want to push them too far in their limits) Well, this guy showed me with his first few punches and combinations that he wanted to play 50% meaning 50%, and he wanted to make the motions and practice extending punches and defending the punches, but he had no intention of really hitting me or being hit buy me. I felt it was akin to the difference between sparring with someone and doing tai chi at the park. We went through the motions, but it was just posturing with incredibly slow movements. It wasn’t much for fighting, but it was great for vision. It was good for stringing together combos (in super dynamic slo-mo). It was good for me. It was good that he let it know that he wanted to slow down. Now just seeing his physical stature, I would not have come at him like a bull out of the gates. But it was still better to set the ground rules. Because it also let me know that while I didn’t think it was appropriate to hit him too hard, it also let me know that he didn’t plan on me being his punching bag either.

I realized that I was going a little too aggressively against people in general for us both to get out of the class what we needed. I have slowed it down a lot since then when sparring all the time. I make sure I stop and give openings so it is a trade, not just someone defending me. But I have also learned that if going into a “fight” smother them and don’t give them the luxury of feeling like they can hit me too. I also start every spar with someone by telling them: Tell me to slow down when I start going to hard. I will try to slow it down, but you’ll scare me when you start hitting me and I will speed up. I feel like it sets the tone right off the bat that you are more than welcome (and it is my error, not your weakness) to slow me down. And it also keeps it in my head right before we start sparring. I haven’t had anyone ask me to slow down. I have said it to myself out loud while sparring.

Also, I am not great at sparring at all. I feel like I wrote this as if I am a killer at sparring. My hat gets handed to me all the time. I am not nearly as good as I even think this portrayed me. And lately, it has been getting handed to me more. I feel like I am good enough that it invites people to spar pretty well against me. And they do. I have only been down on myself because I feel like I have had so many flaws exposed lately. I do fairly well against people at my level. But people who know what they are doing really toy with me. I have been getting particularly great advice from instructors lately. I can see how the subtle (which are paramount) pointers really help. It is like in intro to fight, we were learning get in, get your shots, and get out. I will too often stand there, right in someone’s live side, ready to trade, planning on getting the better of it (and then still not). I was moving in and out. I was coached to move around a lot more side to side. Then there was just letting my head sit there as I defend and counter. I was given the advice of keeping my head moving. I can see it. I need to put it into play more.

I had this one guy stand right in front of me, throw his leg out and back heal me in the nose (yes, through my head gear). I could not believe how he even did it, let alone how I could just stand there and not move away. I was glad my nose wasn’t broken (and I wasn’t so sure it wasn’t at first).Then I let the same fool kick me in the back of the head not more than ten minutes later. I am not even sure which direction that kick started.

Good Luck,

Dave

Ha, that was a fun read!

But anyways, when shyte happens without a heads up, like being jumped by some holeass right out of the blue, one would be hard-pressed to use their mad sparring skillz, anyways. Training for that is better served if your partner straps on a bullet suit and charges you, and you just go at him, balls out.

dkatman

quote G.V.:

Ha, that was a fun read!

But anyways, when shyte happens without a heads up, like being jumped by some holeass right out of the blue, one would be hard-pressed to use their mad sparring skillz, anyways. Training for that is better served if your partner straps on a bullet suit and charges you, and you just go at him, balls out.

Thanks.

I agree with you in that sparring can be fun and beneficial, but the Self Defense aspects of Krav Maga are more important for overall safety. But, like you said, it serves a different purpose. I don’t know enough about the statistics for what is more likely between someone just rushing me and someone giving me lip and escalating until they go to throw. I prefer a varied education – jack of all trades, master of none.

Dave

g-v

Yeh, I hear ya.

quote DKatman:

My training partner and I started together. He was great at KM; aggressive, technically proficient. But he was very frustrated in intro to fight. I am taller. I am longer. I was much more aggressive while sparring.

Hello from San Diego, old friend… for the record, it wasn’t your jab that kept me away… it was the lack of deodorant.

I hope you and everybody in L.A. are doing well…

fiend

Thanks for the continued words of encouragement, here’s a bit of an update after 2 weeks: I’m improving!

1) Headgear – I got the Everlast NON-MMA version and it works great! The chin strap is the trick. It makes a big difference

2) Slower Pace – Our class was actually reprimanded and asked to slow down a LOT. Apparently the other fight class actually had a broken nose and another guy KO’d from sparring. I really didn’t mind going hard, but find that I’m learning infinitely more this way, so I guess I’m glad we were told to slow it down (If anyone from my class is on here, they’ve probably figured out who I am now!). By the end we picked it up a bit again, and I was actually noticing shots coming, and noticing bad patterns I set myself up for.

3) Shadow Boxing – I’ve been slacking, but have managed to do some here and there, between that and class, I think my body is catching up to what my brain wants, if that makes sense.

Conclusion: You guys were 100% right in your advice. I’m no Rocky, but I feel like I’ve done a 180 on all of it, and am noticing much improvement.

thumbsup

sflakrav1

I just wanted to say that I am trying to get better and better at sparring and that there is a lot of good advice here. Thank you all.

dkatman

quote NewKravAddict:

Hello from San Diego, old friend… for the record, it wasn’t your jab that kept me away… it was the lack of deodorant.

I hope you and everybody in L.A. are doing well…

OK…Now I am a little confused. Doesn’t “jab” mean I don’t wear deodorant and I have an offensive odor?

Really good to hear from you. I hope things are going well for you down south. You may have to make a drive up here sometime to get a little training in.

Dave

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: