Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics GK, I hope you are alright.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    markx3

Since weíre all having fun hereÖ

Honestly this wasnít my idea, but I think Iím going to change my forum name from Markx3 to Giantkiller_killer. 🙂

minkai

Good one!!! 😀 Honestly!!! (No offense, GK!!) 😉

anonymous

There goes my good reputation! 🙁

Mark, your justification is right on! 😉 It’s actually healing up nicely. Note: If you are ever getting your skull cracked at the NTC, make sure to have Kelly attend to it, turns out she makes a superb cut(wo)man. We might want to rent her out to the Klitschko brothers. 🙂

It doesn’t really hurt, but I can still feel the wound up there, so I guess I’ll force myself not to come today. One of my favorite classes might have involved ground fighting with punches, good stuff, but probably not what I should be doing today… 😥

Mark, I think you are right, I may not have hit your arm exactly at the wrist. It was a very strong and fast attack and I did feel my arm cave in under the pressure. I may have been off balance, too, since we were doing one attack after the other. The good news is that it still worked pretty well under all of those circumstances. I got cut, but on the hardest part of my body (head) instead of the softest and most vulnerable one (neck or chest).

By the way, is it really a statistical improbability that there could be more than one tiny German who really likes Amir in Level 5? 😉

noonian

Yep. The rest of us is taller. 😉

anonymous

Level 5, noonian? I thought you just fought through your green belt test…. 8)

noonian

Ouch! 😯 Pulling rank now, hm? 😉

Guess my comment was a low blow. Ooops, no pun intended. Or was it?!? 😉

What ever: hope your head is better – that was what this thread was all about, right?

So take care! 😉

clfmak

Anyone ever seen the X rays of that gut that got stabbed in the head with the combat knife? He had what looked like a Ka Bar all the way down to the handle in his head at a 45 degree downward angle. Strange thing was that he didn’t notice it for quite some time.

And you STILL want to try training with a live blade?

g-v

Re:

quote \”CLFMak\:

And you STILL want to try training with a live blade?

Oooooo, snazzy relevant observation! 😉

markx3

noonian,

I had fun working with you yesterday!

Email me when you get a chance.

[email protected]

anonymous

Hey CLFMak,

Guts got heads? 😕 I don’t get it…. 😆

Anyway, I was kind of hoping you’d discover this thread, since you are the knife expert. The guy that got stabbed (I assume you meant guy, right? 😉 ), where did he get stabbed exactly? How big was the knife/blade?

I got hit on top of the head, right behind the forehead, which I believe is the strongest part of the skull. Could a combat knife penetrate that? How about a smaller folder knife? Would it have been likely that the knife would have cracked my skull if it had been real?

When I’m talking about the real knives, I’m not talking about doing this type of drill. Here we were going very fast, live attacks, one on top of the other, from different angles, which almost guarantees that you might make a mistake down the road.

With real knives, I would go a lot more slowly and controlled, it would really just serve to train the psychological aspect of seeing a real knife and then still feel confident enough to try and defend against it.

anonymous

noonian,

What’s that thing on your avatar? Looks kind of like a robot turkey or a cow in a robe lifting a duck without feathers…. 😕 Eigenartig. 😉

kmsf

Looks like a guy coming out of his Karate outfit through the neck. Look again. 😆

clfmak

I meant to write \”guy\” not \”gut\”. The guy got stabbed right in the head. I’ve actually seen the story more than once on TV, but can’t find it on the Internet (man, you get some weird Google search results). Anyway, the knife seemed to be in the head at a 45 degree downward angle. It was most likely a downward ice pick style stab, but I guess it could be an angle 6 stab in a forehand grip, but it would probably be less up and down. The knife was a ka bar style fighting knife, single edged, with a blade about seven inches long. If I recall it had a saw edge on its spine (Rambo style) that complicated the removal, but I could be mistaken. The blade went all the way in.
    I’ve heard that the top of the head is not the hardest part of the head. If it was, you could probably punch it in boxing (but that’s also related to the spine, not just the head). Anatomically, the top of the head is where the two parietal bones and the frontal bones join at the sutures. I’ve read that this is why this is a lethal striking point in various martial arts books- its even in the old school \”Karate Striking Points\” poster I have. But I’m pretty sure you could only attack the sutures on a child where they’re still growing together- by adulthood they’re fused together. In some Chinese martial arts, they say there’s meridians that can be blocked by striking there, but I don’t really know about or believe in acupressure fighting. At any rate, I don’t think the top of the head is the strongest part of the head. The skull seems uniformly thick, so its weakness is related to the strength of the spine, internal structure of the skull as it relates to the brain, curvature of the skull, the brain itself, etc, so the weakest part is related to the angle its attacked and other factors. Different angles affect how the brain moves and how the shock is absorbed by the neck. The curvature of the skull is responsible for the sensitivity of the temples (and the temporal arteries). I would assume the strongest part of the head is the hairline, because it has a good curvature and the force is absorbed by the neck at a good angle (at least suring a headbutt).

anonymous

And the guy was fine after the knife had been removed? It had not penetrated the brain? Do you think a pocket or kitchen knife (less strong then the one used in the attack) could have caused similar damage?

Also interesting that the guy didn’t notice the knife at first. How was that possible? I remember some time ago there was a story about a woman in a supermarket, who was walking around, shopping, even standing in the checkout lane, paying for her stuff, all with a large knife protruding from her back. Apparently she had no idea that the knife was there and I guess the other customers in the store and the clerk didn’t dare to say anything. That was pretty bizarre.

I didn’t get hit right in the middle of the head by the way, more off to the side. My chin was tucked, so the impact didn’t really rattle my brain very much. It also didn’t hurt too bad. I just touched my head and could feel a hole, so I thought oh-oh. 😆

Anyway, it has healed well so far, I even took a ground fighting class today and it didn’t get ripped open again, so that’s good. Got an overstretched arm and a black eye in exchange though, but that’s another story….

clfmak

The knife definitely pierced the brain, but I believe he was OK later. As for not feeling it, there’s lots of bizarre stories like this- there was a guy that went to the hospital for a headache, and when X rayed, he had a nail driven through his palate into his head (underneath the chin, through all the soft parts). He dropped a nail gun, but didn’t realize he’d been shot until much later when they told him.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: