Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Music really keeps me going during Krav. Anyone recommend any good Goa trance? I believe Goa originated in Israel too.

g-v

Re: Goa Trance

In my krav class, it’s techno…lots’a lots’a techno. Oh, and Godsmack. Lots’a Godsmack. Someone should mix that up and create Godsmack techno.

kravmdjeff

I’m a musician, so music is really important to me.

We play lots of hardcore, metal, rock. No techno. I don’t want people to think about attacks happening in a rhythmic pattern…plus it further dissociates Krav Maga training with an aerobics routine.

Lots of times my students tell me that they would rather have other music playing. But if the music is, well, unsettling, then I think it benefits training more.

I once put a Barry Manilow ballad on during a really aggressive drill just to throw them off and distract them. It worked. Teaching point: environment/surroundings will not always be indicative of danger/threat.

philst

We tend to play stuff along the lines of Marilyn Manson / Static X during drills which is good for helping create the \”stress\” environment. In fact I was completely thrown yesterday when my instructor played a techno style track.

I’ve never trained to Barry Manilow style stuff, how big an effect does it tend to have on your mindset?

g-v

Re:

quote \”KravMDjeff\:

I once put a Barry Manilow ballad on during a really aggressive drill just to throw them off and distract them. It worked. Teaching point: environment/surroundings will not always be indicative of danger/threat.

Ya know, that’s a good point.

kravmdjeff

Phil…it threw them for a loop to say the least. I got into my drill instructor mode and got them all fired up…and then let them loose to some soothing crap.

They all thought it was funny and was like \”what the heck is this crap?\”

But, had it been a real situation, they would have had a few seconds tacked on to their response time. Crucial seconds, as many of you know.

My thinking on it is, it throws students off for the initial impact, but then about 5 seconds after the fact, they make a decision to over-ride the music and become ultra-aggressive again. So, it only works if it’s a surprise, and if you don’t do it often.

daki

quote \”G.V.\:

In my krav class, it’s techno…lots’a lots’a techno. Oh, and Godsmack. Lots’a Godsmack. Someone should mix that up and create Godsmack techno.

I’m burning a few CDs for Bert to (hopefully) play in class. No techno Godsmack, but lots of Funker Vogt, Cruciform Injection, and KMFDM so it’s close.

g-v

Oooo, he’s gonna like that kmfdm. Throw in some nitzer ebb and 242, and Daki will become student numero uno. 😆

daki

If I had any of their music, I would. So I’ll be forced to sub in Rammstein and VNV Nation. Maybe some Velvet Acid Christ for flavor.

anonymous

I love to listen to music on my way to and from the NTC (in my car), but once in class, I really just think it’s loud and a distraction, making it harder to concentrate and learn or even to understand your partner or instructor sometimes. Plus, music can add to the cardio image.

I also don’t know if it’s such a good thing to become too reliant on a certain type of music playing in order to become aggressive. During most attacks, there probably won’t be any music at all, on the contrary, it may be very quiet when the assailant suddenly attacks or threatens the victim. It would be too bad if the victim then has a harder time fighting back, just because there is no heavy metal music to pump up his/her aggression.

If we are going to use music at all, I think we should do it in a way KravMDjeff was suggesting – to throw people off or confuse them while being attacked.

We could even go further than the Barry Manilow (although that’s going quite far, I have to admit 😉 ). We could either turn off the lights or go down to the garage, have one or a handful of \”victims\” walk around, while some horror music is playing in the background. You know, the kind of music that’s played in a movie as the scared young girl is walking through the abandoned house, just before she runs into the guy with the mask and the chainsaw. That might help students get into that scary mood and then they could be attacked by the other students. We could also have the \”victims\” close their eyes, while the \”attackers\” put on masks or pull stockings over their heads, play the scary music, then have them attack their fellow students that way. Sort of like a mix betwen a House of Horrors and Krav class. 😉

By the way, If we absolutely have to play the regular, non-scary music, how about some rock en espanol? Revancha, compadre, back me up on this one.

Oh, and what’s a Goa trance? Never heard of it. 😕

clfmak

\”In my krav class, it’s techno…lots’a lots’a techno. Oh, and Godsmack. Lots’a Godsmack. Someone should mix that up and create Godsmack techno.\”

Ramstein sounds kind of like Godsmack with techno. If GK has turned you off of Germans, there’s a Japanese band called the Mad Capsule Markets thats a good mix of rock and techno.

kravmdjeff

Re:

quote \”Giantkiller\:

), but once in class, I really just think it’s loud and a distraction, making it harder to concentrate and learn or even to understand your partner or instructor sometimes.

Again, part of why I play it. If you’re attacked in a parking lot, sure…it’ll probably be quiet. But if you’re in a bar or a club or any other crowded area, it’ll be quite loud…and the sound distraction is something I think aids in de-sensitization of stressful situations.

As far as being reliant upon loud music to be aggressive…whatever helps at the beginning is good, of course eventually a student needs to be aggressive whatever the circumstances. During some recent training, we didn’t have any music at all (which I wasn’t used to) and it actually caused me to go more internally to get aggressive…but I don’t think it’s harmful in either case.

anonymous

While it’s true that music may or may not be playing during an attack, the attack I would be most worried about (in terms of my ability to get aggressive) would be the one that happens when it’s very quiet and I’m all alone (dark side street or parking garage for example). Psychologically, there is something about silence that can be very frightening, even before an actual attack has occurred. While the attack inside a night club can be just as lethal or dangerous, just having other people around or hearing sounds such as music would probably not be a hinderance, if anything they might prevent you from freezing up as much as you would if you were all alone with the assailant.

As for class, the music doesn’t prevent me from getting aggressive, it’s just that it can be loud and annoying, making it harder to concentrate on learning a skill. It’s a somewhat newer thing, too, we didn’t used to have music playing in class several years ago, but then I guess it started creeping in.

By the way, even the Barry Manilow thing could happen, during a date rape situation or such….

Anyone remember \”A Clockwork Orange\” Adding the soundtrack of Beetoven to his torture made him mad after hearing it after.

daki

Re:

quote \”raving sultan\:

Anyone remember \”A Clockwork Orange\” Adding the soundtrack of Beetoven to his torture made him mad after hearing it after.

Imagine the chaos if they were to play The Macarena on repeat for an entire class.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: