Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics going from commando krav maga to krav maga

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    blokrocbet

I just sighned up for my firsrt krav maga class. I have been in commando krav maga for about 2 years. I like commando and will stick with it but i wanted to add krav to the arsenol.

I fighured id post because many people will wonder why im switching and what i got out of commando as well as my new training

please feel free to ask but be respectfull

psyops

Re: going from commando krav maga to krav maga

Ok,

Well congrats on the move first of all. I would be interested in knowing what similarities and differences you notice. As you know I am not a Moni Aizik fan. However I would like to hear from you regarding the tactics of each system as they appear to you.

quote Psyops:

Ok,

Well congrats on the move first of all. I would be interested in knowing what similarities and differences you notice. As you know I am not a Moni Aizik fan. However I would like to hear from you regarding the tactics of each system as they appear to you.

Psyops !
    I have to say you are the most “open minded” person I encounter
    I respect that a lot. Personaly, I don’t like people with very little Krav Maga origin using the word Krav Maga. For example Hisardut, or commando Krav Maga.

coatesy

It’ll be great to hear what you think about them both as you know both sides now and you have more strings to you’re bow,
    would anyone have a problem with ckm if it wasnt called ckm as i have had a few posts on the other say they dont work im not going to name anyone saying there bs so not very opened minded if they havent done it and just say they dont,
    itll be great to hear you’re feedback enjoy it all

blokrocbet

Went to my first krav maga class today. Private leson. My first impression is they are very similar. I learnd 360 defense in CKM and it was the same here. I think i like KM more as there doesnt seem to be a lot of locks and holds like CKM. Although CKM is pretty esay to learn im not good at that kind of thing

psyops

quote OttawaLoneWolf:

Psyops !
    I have to say you are the most “open minded” person I encounter
    I respect that a lot. Personaly, I don’t like people with very little Krav Maga origin using the word Krav Maga. For example Hisardut, or commando Krav Maga.

Thank you….

We are here to learn and we actually have a few people who have trained in both styles. While my feelings about Moni are well documented I think it only fair that those who have trained in both systems, and with multiple Krav organizations or as I call them the Krav Maga alphabet gang (IKMA,KMWW,IKMF,KMF etc… ) these individuals should be allowed and encouraged to share their assesments. We can all learn from them.

coatesy

i hope my message to you was useful i think if you read the other ckm post you’ll find alot of narrow mindedness but i think you’re opinion will count more than anyones on here as you are practising both so i waould like to hear more about how you feel on what you learn

blokrocbet

Went to another Krav Class. There aome stark diffrences no arm locks. but ckm seem to control the gun better, but what to do after the gun is most def a krav issue. Hope i can post more

leejam99

do you think in the heat of the moment you will be able to perform the arm lock if the gunman is recoiling his arm, sweaty, etc? What do you mean by “what to do after the gun is most def a krav issue”?

blokrocbet

No i dont think using an amr lock will work for me. Some one who has yeaRS OF bjj training maybee but me. what i can tell from my limmited experience disarm then stricking is what i ment be it being a Krav issue. CKM lacks effective stricking

jsumm54421

I know that IKMA is unlike KMWW in many ways yet there are noticable common threads. CKM has a totally different approach from all of these organizations, however, there is at least one common thread. Let me see if I can do it in a simple manner. This is not about what is better, but, what is the difference.

When facing multiple attackers, an individual’s chance of success is very low. This is such an important concept in CKM because it teaches that one has only a second or two to launch an attack before being overwelmed by multiple attackers. Engaging with an attacker any longer would prevent one from being able to address other attackers. Yes, one or two strikes and get out of there! CKM views staying engaged for a period of time with one attacker creates a “tunnel vision” situation leaving one unaware of the dangers lurking from others. Students are taught to quickly disengage to add distance between themselves and the attackers, thus, adding precious seconds of additonal reaction time to deal with other potential threats.

Ground defenses have a max time of 5 seconds to be executed and students are timed by their instructors. If the students take longer that 5 seconds to get off the ground then the entire class must punch, stomp and kick the student until told to stop. There are no combatives that require one to stay engaged with an attacker for more that a second or two. For the record, I have yet to see any Judo throws CKM.

CKM has different views on preemptive striking and 90% of the techniques are different from those in the various Krav Maga systems.

Unlike CKM, most Krav Maga systems add some of the most basic techniques from Boxing, Muay Thai, Wrestling and Small Circle Jui Jitsu to name a few. These techniques create a nice list of combatives. The key here is that Krav is interested in the simple techniques that are easy to learn in a short amount of time. Only techniques that one can execute with little effort will be useful in a real life attack. Although, many of these strikes belong to other systems, the intended targets of the strikes is what adds a bit of uniqueness to Krav Maga. CKM shares in this same understanding of the importance of attacking points of weakness.

The common thread in CKM and other forms of Krav Maga is in added reality to attacks by pressure testing a students execution of a technique. This approach is unlike most traditional martial arts and sport arts as real, mentally taxing, pressure situations are created to test ones ability to successfully execute techniques. This is where students learn that complex, awkward techniques will be of little use to them in a real life attack situation. This is the essence of reality base systems and is what Krav Maga is most respected for and is the core of all CKM training.

I train in many systems / styles so I won’t go into why I do this and what’s best because I know I’m on an island with my views. (jkd)
    I am into self defense and enjoy open dialog with others who are serious about their training.

My final word is this: The street predator has only one or two techniques, but, he is a master of these techniques. His techniques are tried, tested and proven! Train in what you believe in, and remember that the system and techniques are as only as good as the person doing them.

bradm

jsumm54421 – well stated!

kior

quote jsumm54421:

My final word is this: The street predator has only one or two techniques, but, he is a master of these techniques. His techniques are tried, tested and proven! Train in what you believe in, and remember that the system and techniques are as only as good as the person doing them.

Talking about the street predator makes me wonder about the non street predator. As in the kind of opponent that a highly trained commando such as Moni would have apparently been fighting against in war. In your opinion why has CKM not been adopted in the ‘regular’ IDF training? I understand Moni claims that his system is used by special forces and that he also teaches it to civilians although the former claim is highly contested to say the least. If it works for civilians and it works for the special forces why not the regular army grunts? Why do they not get access to this system?

blokrocbet

Been thru my second week of krav maga. This is a lot easyer to learn IMHO

jsumm54421

Kior,

In reply to: “If it works for civilians and it works for the special forces why not the regular army grunts?”

I know a US Navy Seal who has had highly specialized training outside of that of a normal US soldier. I think this may be common. If you want to train in current military IDF Krav Maga then you must train with Ran or someone who has trained with him.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: