Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Going to the range…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    kravron

So I am trying to organize a trip to the gun range for my Krav class. My instructor has been doing bits and portions of the gun defenses over the past month. I figured that in addition to learning how to disarm people should know how to use what they take. I also wanted the class to understand how loud, strong, and final using a gun can be.

I know that in the Krav summer camp they do trips to the gun range, but do any other instructors try and organize a trip to the range to impart knowledge about the weapon to their students? When I brought it up to my instructor he thought it was a good idea. What do you guys think?

nancypants

Our instructor organized two different gun classes for us a couple of years ago – they were great! We signed up in groups of ten and had a classroom portion and a range portion for a total of maybe 4-6 hours. The reason we had the class is because a lot of the advanced students that were learning gun defenses had never fired (or in some cases, even seen!) a gun. He wanted us to know what to do with a gun if we defended and ended up with the attacker’s gun. We were lucky in that one of our advanced students works for the Sheriff’s Department and he was an awesome teacher – he also had connections at the range and got us one side by ourselves to shoot.

lor

I like the idea too. I have zero experience with guns, so I’d jump at the chance to go to the range.

nancypants

That’s exactly how I was – I was one of the \”never even saw a gun\” people and as it turns out, shooting is fun! (I defend my previous gun ignorance by mentioning that I’m not actually a native Texan)

anonymous

I think it’s an excellent idea. I would certainly love to go. I know I’ve suggested it a few times on the forum, even had a poll about it and it looked like people were interested.

Thanks to FFDO, I’ve been to the range once now and it was a great experience. It was just an indoor range, though, and we were there only for about an hour, so I’m far from perfect.

I was also one of those \”never seen a real gun before\” people and the noise of the gunshots made me flinch each time I heard it for the first few minutes, even though I had those ear protectors on. Could very well happen that a shot goes off as you are doing the defense and if you have never heard how loud a gunshot really is, you might freeze up for a moment, giving your assailant the opportunity to get back the gun.

I also learned how hard it is to hit anything with a gun, even from a relatively short distance.

I wished we would go to the gun range on a regular basis, or at least once in a while. There’s a good private one somewhere in the mountains, where they go during the summer camp, or also some public ones (probably cheaper).

kravmdjeff

I realized very quickly as a KM instructor that I would have to be conversant in handguns to talk to all the LEO and military guys we had coming in, so I’ve had friends taking me out to do so.

Also one of our other instructors at another location is certified with the NRA as an instructor.

ffdo

I of course think it is a great idea……

You have to know what to do with a gun once you take it. Be that shoot it or simply hold it safely while keeping it from being taken back….. Not to mention, putting 500 rounds down range is almost as destressing as KM….

JC

usnavy-233

I actually started shooting LONG before I ever started Krav. I think it’s a matter of necessity to have 1) Situational Awareness, 2) Unarmed self-defense skills and 3) Firearms training. If anyone is in the Northern VA area and would like to hit the range, any time, toss me a line. I’ll be happy to let you use my pistols and if you’re new to firearms, I’ll throw out a few pointers.

-Walt

kravmdjeff

Walt, though I’m not in Northern VA, I’m less than an hour’s drive away.

I’m not a total newbie when it comes to shooting, but like other stuff I feel I learn best if I have a bunch of different people pointing stuff out to me. Maybe we can set something up soon. My co-instructor might like to go too (though he has his own guns).

While we’re on the topic. Any suggestions for a good first handgun? I got to try a few out the other day and I know what i already like so far, but just wondering what your thoughts are here.

ffdo

For a first handgun…….

It depends how much training you are willing to do with them.

My mother has a .357 mag revolver. because you point it, shoot it, have six shots that will always work. simple. Plus, it can shhot .38 spl or the mag rounds.

Autos vary widely. And, do you want to carry weapon with one in the chamber, or have to rack the weapon to load it. There is double action, single action double action only etc etc. There are external safeties and autos with internal safeties only. For simplicity, I like Glocks. There is no external safety aside from one that is on the trigger. They are accurate, have good pointability and shoot nicely. They will shoot with a round in the chamber but no clip. (Nice when covering while doing a tactical reload.) I would find a range that rents pistols and try various ones available.

Calibers are another choice. personally, in an auto I like .40 cal or .357 sig. .45s rock, but my hands aren’t big enough for a double stacked mag in this cal, and I like having more than 7/8 shots. .9 mm tend to poke holes without dropping the bad guy.

JC

nancypants

When I first started shooting, I would rent or borrow a different gun every time I went. At some point, I ended up trying a gun belonging to a friend of a friend and absolutely loved it, so then it was just a matter of tracking one down and buying it. I’ve heard varying opinions from different people about which gun they like better, but until you’ve shot it a little, I don’t think you can really know. My recommendation would definitely be to shoot a couple of boxes with a variety of guns and see how you like them.

usnavy-233

Jeff,
    As it was already alluded to, guns are like cars. There is something for everyone in all varieties and options. But, just like a car, you don’t buy it before you test-drive it. Know what I mean? Now, with that saidÖ.

\”.9 mm tend to poke holes without dropping the bad guy.\”

FFDO, how many bad guys have you had to drop??
    Sorry, just had to ask. 😉
    Ok, for the real answer about caliber…..
    http://www.tacticalforums.com/cgi-bin/tacticalubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=78;t=000964

As far as setting something up, I’m more than happy to meet you either in NOVA or Southern MD. In NOVA the best range is Shooter’s paradise. The only range I’ve been to in MD is Maryland Small Arms Range in Upper Marlboro. It’s not a bad spot. More rift raft then I typically like to be around, but it’ll do. It may be a good \”in between\” spot for us to meet. How soon are you looking at getting to the range? I can meet you on Friday, FEB 3rd or just about anytime the following week. Unfortunately my weekends are tied up with work until FEB 11th but I will be running the youth group at my church from 6-8PM on Saturdays so anything early in the day works for me. If you want to toss me a line we can discuss the timing via e-mail. Cool?

-Walt

anonymous

I wished I were in Maryland…. 😀

ffdo

NONE luckily…..

Regardless of how manly it may seem and regardless if you had a choice or not, a duty related shooting will haunt most people for the rest of their lives….. Think bout the two FAMs that put down the guy in Miami with the backpack and threat of a bomb. I believe they had no choice and did what they had to do but they will still relive that in their head for years to come, if not forever….. I have no desire to shoot anyone for any reason, but if I ever have to, I will do it, and I will do it without hesitation and hit exactly where I intend to….

Tht said, my stated views were based on duty related shooting statistics of various cals. I liked the page you posted. Even there, look at the diff in the balistic gel test between the 9 ball and the other commonly used cals. pretty large difference between the 9mm and the others, while the others looked relatively close.

The range in Upper Marlborro isn’t to bad….

JC

kravron

WAIT…for me to get to maryland. I will happily bring my .45 and Shotgun to the range for another Krav \”shootout\”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: