Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    kirsten

Re: grapplers circut

I do this workout and I highly recommend it. We make the lunges walking lunges and the squats walking (side-step) squats… and we do it after Bas’ Japanese Warm-up. My guys LOVE this workout!

I wanted to add the link to Randy actually doing this workout… I have no idea about the other one. This is the one I first got tuned into a while back and we built our circuit around it. Here is the link:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3224902600571518938

garddawg

Kirsten,
    I bet you don’t short every movement.

blokrocbet,
    You are KIDDING regarding no info right? Five years of online journals which can be accessed for only 25.00. A message board that has been running for 6 – 7 years, a comprehensive FAQ page, and a “Start Here” page, which points people to my website where I have 12 trainers from my gym several from Canada and the UK sitting there waiting to answer questions on how and why people should CrossFit.

To be honest as well, Randy was introduced to CrossFit several years ago by Tony Blauer, at least that was what Tony told me. The workout is classic CF. Here is one we do occasionally.

How many rounds can you complete in 20 minutes of:
    5 Deadlifts
    5 Hang Power Cleans
    5 Front Squats
    5 Push Presses
    5 Back Squats
    = 1
    use 95, 135 or 155

Like I said the workout shown is classic CrossFit, done poorly.

I can’t find the final copy of these, but here was the prel. warning orders.

http://board.crossfit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=488&d=1166041343

Page 8

Now I have to go call Tony he won’t believe this S***

kirsten

Jeff,
    LOL… Heck No! No point in doing it if your going to do it wrong.

Nate has horrible form in this video. Most people do when it comes to lifting… I got my horrible habits from HS gym class.

blokrocbet

Well im sorry for not being up to speed on your work out. But seeing as you are an expert on crossfit i would have expected a brief overview or some instruction from you. If you can provide it great if not well then i guess i have to stay with the other more informative sites. I bet im not the only one who says this

PS can you send me a link to the “Start Here” page as i cant seem to find it

kirsten

Actually Garddawg is very much an “expert” in crossfit. I personally listen to his lifting advice and watch his youtube video’s. Just follow is website links on his signature. You will easily find video.

His instructors are the people that know… But you will only get out of it what you want to. If you don’t like it, it’s okay. But I appreciate the chat that you guys are having and I hope that somebody reading this at least understands the importance of good form when moving weights or using body weight.

blokrocbet

Im sure he is and he sureley belives in crossfit. I just want him to explain the concept. I have heard about this before but that sales picth is lacking

kirsten

Oh, I see… well my guess is because Jeff isn’t a salesman… He is an instructor and uses CF personally so is passionate about it. Like us with KM…

blokrocbet

Great. Did i hear you say you used the work out i posted in your classes?

blokrocbet

Thanks for the heads up on page 8 i missed that

kirsten

Yes. I got turned onto Randy’s workout some time back… there is a link on the forum somewhere… We will sometimes do it in my conditioning/mma class. We always have a core theme. Some days its muscular endurance and we will do this, other days its plyometrics, every day is something different. But we always do the BRMMA Japanese Warm-Up and at least two of our 5 min. Bas Rutten fight rounds.. then we move on to the actual training and sparring/grappling at the end of class (its a 90 minute class). Everything is fight specific so my KM only students love this class too and its fun to watch my professional fighters training with my KM mom’s.. 🙂

blokrocbet

Really thats got to be cool especialy if the moms lump up the MMA fighters

garddawg

Too funny Kirsten.

blokrocbet
    Interesting path to get to the questions regarding CrossFit. First, let’s clear up the salesman, sales pitch thing. Unlike any other site I know of out there CrossFit does so much for free. They post a free workout every day. They host a message board. They post videos of every exercise. They do it for free and have for 8 years. For the average guy who wants more they offer the CrossFit Journal. It is $25 per year, and when/if you get it you have access to every article ever published. There done being a salesman.

Secondly the CF methodology. A few years ago I remember overhearing someone in phase training talking about one of Sam’s “warm ups”. We had been sprinting up the street, coming back inside, doing squats and push ups for rounds. Pretty brutal, and if you had not been in the military revolutionary. At the time most people’s workout included separating modalities. In other words you worked weights one day, cardio another, maybe bodyweight stuff another. Furthermore most people divided their weight training into Leg day and arm day etc… or push day and pull day. They continued by taking things down to isolating a certain muscle. This is what was advocated as good training.

The founders of CrossFit recognized that this was a poor way to ready oneself for the really world. Segmented training leads to segmented capacity. In a fight we don’t have the luxury of saying today I’m going to run, tomorrow I’ll grapple and later I’ll throw some kicks. Anyway the OC’s combined weight training, bodyweight stuff and aerobic training all into their workouts. Further they got rid of exercises that were fairly useless in the real world (does anyone really need to do calf raises to be better in war, sport, the fight, or life?) and replaced them with functional movements like cleans and deadlifts. Movements from gymnastics, Olympic weightlifting, and power lifting were used. They combined these movements in an infinite number of workouts that always changed. Then came the fun part a clock was added and it was done with intensity as defined by power output. The idea is that CrossFit is a strength and conditioning system designed around,varied if not random, functional movements performed at high intensity.

So what is our philosophy, what are we trying to do. Here is a quote you might be interested in. ìThe constantly varied and high intensity aspects of CrossFit provide devotees with a mental rigor, mental armor if you will, beyond the physical benefits normally associated with a fitness program. A CrossFit-trained Marine is one who is properly prepared both physically and mentally for the rigors of combat.î
    LtCol Dan Wilson, U.S. Marines

The idea is to make someone ready for life or whatever life throws at them. This whole concept was revolutionary when it was created (yes you can find it in Muscle and Fitness now as well as Men’s Health etc.) and part of my passion that you see is protecting the name and brand. None of us liked the KM knock offs. We hated seeing that. I feel that way about CF.

Back to being a salesman, check this out.
    http://operationphoenix.myshopify.com

Now if you’ll excuse me I have to go train. My workout partner is a Sergeant with Force. I’ll let him know you don’t think that CrossFit is used by Marines, and I’ll discuss it with the Lt. Col in the helicopter squadron that will be in tonight. He wants me to come down and help him get his command going on CrossFit. LOL

blokrocbet

WOW thanks for the info. So if i wanted to try Crossfit how would i go about it?

garddawg

http://www.CrossFit.com is the main Crossfit site. Lots and lots of info. They post the main CF workout of the day. Now there are about 800 affiliates around the country many of them post workouts as well. At Brand X, we take the main CrossFit workout of the day and scale it for people who are starting as well as answer questions about how to do the workout.

The link to our site is in my signature.

kirsten

It is sooo worth doing the WOD’s… they are free and awesome! You can also start with just the body weight exercises.

Did I mention I LOVE Crossfit?!!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: