Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books Gun Defenses against a revolver

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    markb-d6

With the retent discussion of the dangers of grabbing a revolver near the cylinder. Out of curiosity how would you suggest modifying the techniques to reduce these dangers?

Re: Gun Defenses against a revolver

quote MarkB:

With the retent discussion of the dangers of grabbing a revolver near the cylinder. Out of curiosity how would you suggest modifying the techniques to reduce these dangers?

Well, be careful what you watch on mythbusters for one….LOL, any standard revolver cartridge will not produce enough blast at the cylinder gap to do any real damage to a human hand. With some of the big cartridges (.500 S&W, etc) , there is a very small area where damage could hypothetically occur. Controlling the weapon forward of the cylinder will mitigate any possible damage. This control should not be an issue, as the barrels on those particular guns provide lots of real estate. As an aside, any revolver with a cylinder that large would be difficult to fire if the cylinder rotation was being retarded by the defenders grasp. In short, there is no need to modify the technique.

paul

i also dont think you would run into a high dollar weapon such as a 454 or even a 327 in a typical holdup

paul

we are talking guns here not muscle cars

carpecanis

I’ve experimented with one of my revolvers (unloaded of course) and I found that it’s impossible to fire the gun in double action if you’re gripping onto the cylinder. No matter how strong the attacker, there’s no way his one trigger finger can overwhelm the strengh of someone’s entire hand. However, if the attacker has cocked the revolver for single-action fire, then you can’t prevent it from firing.

black-ops

:wav: OOO..PICK ME…PICK ME..I KNOW THIS ONE!!!!!!

All you have to do is stick your finger in the end of the barrel! Problem solved. You might wonder how i have come across this information, well, I am no firearms expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night….oh, and i save a bunch of money on ym car insurance by switching to Geico.

Actually, someone said it already. If its a DA and the hammer is already down, you just grab the cylinder.

mara-jade

quote Black_Ops:

:wav: OOO..PICK ME…PICK ME..I KNOW THIS ONE!!!!!!

All you have to do is stick your finger in the end of the barrel! Problem solved. You might wonder how i have come across this information, well, I am no firearms expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night….oh, and i save a bunch of money on ym car insurance by switching to Geico.

Actually, someone said it already. If its a DA and the hammer is already down, you just grab the cylinder.

Yeah, you’ll fit in with the rest of us just fine:wav:thumbsuprofl2

black-ops

Yeah, i am starting to get all warm and fuzzy here. Its just a transition, Im usually posting with all my gun buddies, i dont have any Krav buddies…unless im practicing in the mirror

aviatordave

quote paul:

i also dont think you would run into a high dollar weapon such as a 454 or even a 327 in a typical holdup

Don’t bet on that. One of my friends was with his pregnant wife in Dallas and got held up by two guys that were driving down the street and jumped out of their car. The one holding his wife had a handgun of some type, the one that confronted him had an UZI.

Then again, it was at night, so it may have been a 426 Hemi, or perhaps a 351 Windsor and not an UZI.

Also, after seeing the pic of the guy’s missing thumb from arf.com and thinking it was total BS, I shot a .357 magnum with a chunk of steak and a pencil shoved through it taped to the barrel. It didn’t sever the pencil, but it blasted a large chunk of the steak off. It would definitely cause severe pain once you realized what had happened. But it would probably be one of those things where if you don’t see it happen, the pain doesn’t hit for a few seconds. Especially if you were busy beating the hell out of someone that was trying to shoot you.

So how do you prevent your fingers getting blown off doing a revolver defence?? I’d be afraid to even attempt one if I knew my fingers could get blown off (I’m a professional musician)

aviatordave

quote Liquid Rockface:

So how do you prevent your fingers getting blown off doing a revolver defence?? I’d be afraid to even attempt one if I knew my fingers could get blown off (I’m a professional musician)

I guess you could always just allow yourself to be shot, but at least your fingers would be uninjured. Hopefully they won’t hit something else important like your heart, spine, liver, GI tract, or brain.

kms1974

I don’t know exactly how much damage the gasses would inflict on the human hand, but I would expect a serious burn at the very least.

aviatordave

quote Kms1974:

I don’t know exactly how much damage the gasses would inflict on the human hand, but I would expect a serious burn at the very least.

Actually there won’t be much burning. Not over a wide area like if you put your hand on a hot stove or picked up a hot coal. It will be a blast of gas at around 35,000 psi bursting out of a gap just a few thousandths wide.

The main injury will be trauma. It will slash through skin and muscle like a knife, then the pressure from that blast will really spread the wound wide open. I have a short barreled rifle that has a flash hider on the end. A few times, I’ve let sandbags at the range get just under the flash hider. If I don’t notice it, the next shot blasts a huge tear through the sandbag denim, and blows out half the sand, but there’s no burning. It would do bad things to skin and muscle.

jstrauss

Instead of grabbing the barrel, would it be feasible to modify the technique and just use a flat hand to push the barrel and/or chamber out of the way while moving in, throwing combatives and controlling the wrist while removing the gun holding the chamber? If the hand is flat, would the blast coming from the chamber still affect the hand, or is it directional, only blasting straight ahead?

That sounds convoluted as written. I’m imagining this happening and it looks much more vivid.

aviatordave

quote jstrauss:

Instead of grabbing the barrel, would it be feasible to modify the technique and just use a flat hand to push the barrel and/or chamber out of the way while moving in, throwing combatives and controlling the wrist while removing the gun holding the chamber? If the hand is flat, would the blast coming from the chamber still affect the hand, or is it directional, only blasting straight ahead?

That sounds convoluted as written. I’m imagining this happening and it looks much more vivid.

The blast from the barrel/cylinder gap comes straight out of both sides. It actually shoots out in a full circle, but will be shielded upwards and downwards by the revolver frame. I have only been barely introduced to gun disarms, but I’d be very surprised if anyone would recommend using a different technique. Especially since as long as you have a grasp of the cylinder, the gun will be able to fire once at most, and that’s only if it’s already cocked. If it isn’t already cocked, it won’t be able to fire even one time. I definitely wouldn’t do anything just with a flat hand. Your control over that firearm is literally a life and death struggle. Once you’ve got it, don’t ever let go as you literally beat the other guy into submission. I’ve seen the results of several people who have actually had finger trauma caused by cylinder blowby from a revolver. But they were all still alive. The odds of dying from cylinder blast are about nil, as compared to the odds of dying from a point-blank gunshot would which are very high.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: