Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books Gun Defenses against a revolver

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    jstrauss

Re: Gun Defenses against a revolver

Good points. Getting your finger hurt or severed is better than dying.

kirsten

Hmm… I think that trying to recognize a revolver, then change the to a different defense when under stress would make it difficult for some.

I second Jeremy’s post. I don’t see a need to change the defense. Just grab tightly on your control of the weapon because the barrel feels WAY different than what most people are used to. I just did a week long class with Jon Pascal up on Portland Oregon and one officer had a revolver because he has always carried a “wheel gun” and likes it. So he had a revolver blue gun and it was hilarious to watch the faces of his partners. It is suprising after training with a Sig or Glock replica then grabbing a revolver… feels like a pencil.

Long story short, I urge you to pick up a revolver blue gun and practice with it for this very reason. Variety IS the spice of life. 🙂

inky

So I did my first live fire gun defense session this weekend using a Sig Sauer P229 .40 and an S&W 686 combat .357mag.

With an auto I am 100% positive that the gun grab defenses I am learning are the proper techniques I need to keep drilling into myself to create a speedy reflexive action. Grabbing from the port side of the arm is great!, the pop of the round is nothing against the palm and while hot it did not burn at all, also knowing that the casing is going to jam the pistol and remove the firearm from the equation is an awesome feeling.
    But with a revolver I feel different, yes if it has not been cocked you cannot fire if someone has a hold of the cylinder… but if it is cocked… which I will assume it is in any situation can be a very bad thing. Forget 1 or 2 fingers if you seal up the breach between the barrel and cylinder you could loose the whole hand (think fire cracker) we simulated this by gaff-taping the pistol and placing it inside a rather large squash. Wow that was fun but also it put a bit of fear in me about using the defense on a .357 and up as .38 was a joke… nothing to fear from the blast but a small burn. While I havenít looked at changing how id react to the threat of a gun I know if I were to feel a revolver in my hand id adjust accordingly. Yes of course I would rather loose a few fingers perhaps a hand… but what good am I if I lost my hand I’m on the ground screaming bloody Mary and the would be thug plugs me in the brain-pan.

Keep on training fast and thinking faster i suppose.
    I will remember to get some vid’s next time to share the experience.

Hardcore stuff, I love KM.

Cheers

Guys, I am failing to understand the logic of altering, or deciding not to do a defense based on whether it is a revolver or not. For one, it is a final option, meaning that you believe that if you do not defend, you will be shot. It is inherently risky, even under the best circumstances. If you really think that you are going to be killed, wouldn’t you rather risk damage to your hand than a slug ripping through your body? It seems like a no brainer. Second, if you do the defense correctly, your control point is in front of the escaping gasses, clear of any danger. This is a non starter.

michaelmall

My two cents,I agree with Mr Stafford.I would
    rather have a possible hand injury or burn than
    to have a bullet in my body.I could see a burn
    from a cheaper gun but not a higher priced gun.
    And with the adrenaline you would not know it
    until it is over.Chicks dig scares.

inky

I’m in no way saying id do anything different then what i am currently learning and i feel i am in no way qualified to start adapting my own defense. Yes it is always a last resort to grab a gun… If i can grab it that means someone is pointing it at me in some very close proximity and at that point a gun is a gun is a gun and i will do any and everything to live. I’m just saying that after seeing what can happen if i were to compleetly wrap my hand around the breech of a .357… lets just say is scares the bleeping bleep out of me. But also this was my first exposure to a live fire situation, I’ll grab a rubber gun with gusto all day long but when it comes to grabing a live pistol it really drives home all the many, many, many variables that can go wrong in a fraction of a second. If i were to ever preform a gun grab in defense of my own life i don’t think i could distinguish what firearm it was till my hands a already placed on it and at that point i’m not going to let go to get a better possition. But lets also say someone got “my 686 with 7 rounds of handloaded dydrashock” i want to be intamatly familer with the feel and where i can grab it with out causing a seal hopefully jamming the web of my hand between the hammer and pin or just grabbing the cylinder before it’s cocked.

and oh yes they do dig scares yo :-p

michaelmall

Well what scares me is a bullet passing through mybody 44,357,22,38 ect.
    So with that said, don,t let it scare you.Keep on train for it an believe for it
    not to happen.

Anonymous

i am unsure weather to stick with the commando krav maga i have tried in or to switch to the ikmf gun disarm . has anyone any thoughts . take a look at my gun defences and let me know what you think . be nice .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNaVmyCcdTI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNaVmyCcdTI

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: