Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books Halp, I’m being attacked. Oh wait I have keys.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    jjk

I was talking with a female friend of mine who attended a rape prevention class at a university a year or so ago. Among the things she learned was that you should take out your keys and use them as a weapon. Infact, she was so adamant about this technique she always told it to her friends when they were walking home at night.

I told her that any weapon is probably better than no weapon, but keys aren’t going to do much in any situation where you would have to use them. I think their effectiveness is lessened because if you’re punching, they’ll fold backwards, forwards, or simply retract into your fist. If you’re slashing, a key isn’t very sharp, and so can’t cut deep and will have trouble with clothing, especially a hoodie I would think.

So not that effective in my mind, and maybe counter productive at that level because it just SEEMED to me to produce a false confidence. Someone with their keys out would be more inclined to fight than escape, and also focus on the key holding hand as their only method of attack… which tends to happen with all weapons.

Am I just being an arse? Am I just being stupid? What do you guys think?

tonfachick

Re: Halp, I’m being attacked. Oh wait I have keys.

Keys? They worked great for me. I was jumped by a potential rapist in a local parking lot and used the keys to open the car door, which I promptly slammed into his head 3 or 4 times after downing him with a knee.

I love keys…

But seriously, as a weapon they are not a great choice for an untrained woman. Neither is a kubaton. I’ve found that teaching untrained women a few things that really work that don’t require props is the best way to go.

What if you brace the key between two fingers, like some kind of knuckleduster….and then do a straight punch, using your sharpest meanest key (no post office box keys please :P) as your striking area.

I think it should work pretty ok and you’d rip somebody’s skin really badly like that. It’s useless maybe against clothes, but hit somebody’s face and they’ll be bleeding crazily.

I can’t speak from experience obviously but I would think keys as a slashing tool could be nasty.

They aren’t very sharp which means when they do cut someone with those jagged edges it would hurt like h-e-l-l and leave a permanent mark especially if it were across the facial area.

I don’t remember where I learned it… It was probably in Hapkido when I was very young (because I’ve done this for a LONG time), but whenever I’m walking to or from my vehicle, I always position my Jeep key sticking out between my middle and ring fingers. It’s one of those big ones with the alarm buttons on it so when I make a fist, it actualy provides a lot of support, not unlike a pair of brass knuckles. Haven’t used it yet, but I have brainstormed several different uses. Slashing and hitting with your sharpest key (which I’d imagine you mean stabbing, which would be great for the neck) have been brought up, but if you have enough stability, it’s also great for pressure points. If you don’t have a large key like I do, you can also use the rest of your keys/key ring for support. Not as good because it’s not intigrated, but still effective!

As far as people focusing on the keys as a primary form of attack and ignoring other opportunities… Obviously any weapon you use is going to be worthless if you don’t know what you’re doing. People ask me all the time about the best way to fend off an attack and ALWAYS ask about weapons because of my background. The thing I always tell them is that if they’re not trained, and more so, not proficient, the weapon is just going to be taken away and used on them, or just piss off the attacker unless they get lucky. Whether it’s keys, a gun, or a nerf ball… If you don’t know what you’re doing, don’t use it!

J-

giant-killer

I guess keys could be used as a type of impromptu brass knuckle. If you stab with them, you should probably go for vulnerable areas, such as the eyes, ears (if it’s a long key), or neck. Then again, a strong kick to the groin may be simpler and more effective, especially for the untrained person.

Sometimes they tell us to use your keys to throw at the attacker, not to hurt, but to distract, to then get away or make a defense. Could work, but then one problem is that you just gave up your keys and with it (depending on which keys you threw at him) the chance to get into your vehicle and drive off, or get into your house/building, to safety. Also, he’s got your keys now, if those are house keys and he knows where you live (he might have seen you leave or enter your house) he could follow you there and attack you again (or burglarize the home before you have a chance to get a new lock).

jjk

Throw your keys at your attacker eh? Sounds like those guys on cops who throw their cellphones at the police.

guerriere

Keys poking out through your knuckles telegraph anxiety, not to mention you have to be pretty close to the bad guy to use them, and the average bad guy has probably done enough fighting to be able to defend against a strike and his reach is probably longer.

Better to hum to yourself “I’m badass. I have a fist in my hand.”

kpalena

I would imagine that unless it is a car key with a large plastic piece on the back side it is going to cut the hell out of your palm. A house type key probably will not work. A key with a plastic backing might be a fairly effective punch-dagger in a survival situtation.

quote Guerriere:

Keys poking out through your knuckles telegraph anxiety, not to mention you have to be pretty close to the bad guy to use them, and the average bad guy has probably done enough fighting to be able to defend against a strike and his reach is probably longer.

Better to hum to yourself “I’m badass. I have a fist in my hand.”

Once again, it’s all in how you present yourself. If you’re breathing heavy with a scared rabbit look on your face, you’re going to start tempting nuns to steal your wallet. I just casually hold my keys like that… usualy in my jacket pocket or in a manner where it doesn’t draw too much attention.

mara-jade

I admit, I can’t remember where I heard about holding the keys between your fingers for a weapon. I’ve been doing it whenever I’m heading to my vehicle. I’ve seen one in the KM DVDs (think it’s Marni in it), where she’s about to be attacked and throws the keys in the attacker’s as a distraction while then giving a front kick at the same time.

Now that I’ve been doing KM, I dunno that I’d use my keys for a weapon. Dunno till that happens and honestly, hope it never does.

bradm

Although just about anything can be a weapon “on the street”, However I wouldn’t consider keys a good weapon. Granted they can cause damage to the eyes, and face area at close range, but don’t count on them as a good defensive weapon. To me the main reason for carrying keys in your hand is to have them readily available to open your car door or house entrance door. Especially true for women because if a woman is standing beside her car fumbling in her purse for her car keys, she is an easy target. Also, with remote entry keys the control usually has a button to stop or set off the car alarm. Setting off the alarm if you feel threatened can act as a deterrent to an attacker.

quote BradM:

Although just about anything can be a weapon “on the street”, However I wouldn’t consider keys a good weapon. Granted they can cause damage to the eyes, and face area at close range, but don’t count on them as a good defensive weapon. To me the main reason for carrying keys in your hand is to have them readily available to open your car door or house entrance door. Especially true for women because if a woman is standing beside her car fumbling in her purse for her car keys, she is an easy target. Also, with remote entry keys the control usually has a button to stop or set off the car alarm. Setting off the alarm if you feel threatened can act as a deterrent to an attacker.

I don’t think anyone is arguing for keys being a “good” defensive weapon, but when an attacker walks up on someone, the last thing they’re expecting is a key to the eyeball. It’s not going to be effective in all situations, but it will in some. I agree that the main reason to have your keys readily available is so you can get into your vehicle/house/office quickly, but I’m all about leaving every available option open. You can always opt not to use them if the situation doesn’t call for it…

J-

bradm

quote downforlife76:

I don’t think anyone is arguing for keys being a “good” defensive weapon, but when an attacker walks up on someone, the last thing they’re expecting is a key to the eyeball. It’s not going to be effective in all situations, but it will in some. I agree that the main reason to have your keys readily available is so you can get into your vehicle/house/office quickly, but I’m all about leaving every available option open. You can always opt not to use them if the situation doesn’t call for it…

J-

I agree. Thought that was what I was trying to imply. Maybe my choice of words was wrong.

vwr32

quote Giant Killer:

I guess keys could be used as a type of impromptu brass knuckle.

Do you mean like this?

It takes a few tries to get the keys positioned just right and make a fist tight enough where I feel some confidence that I could actually repeatedly strike with them. Not sure everyone has the hand size/strength needed to really pull it off… maybe they do. The hassel and time requirement associated with doing this every time I walk to the car is probably why I’d much rather focus on situational awareness and solid strikes from elbows and fists.

Plus, if escape is one of the things you hope to do, I wouldn’t recommend using your car key. Bend it even a little bit and you’ll be on foot.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: