Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books Halp, I’m being attacked. Oh wait I have keys.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Re: Halp, I’m being attacked. Oh wait I have keys.

quote vwr32:

Do you mean like this?

It takes a few tries to get the keys positioned just right and make a fist tight enough where I feel some confidence that I could actually repeatedly strike with them. Not sure everyone has the hand size/strength needed to really pull it off… maybe they do. The hassel and time requirement associated with doing this every time I walk to the car is probably why I’d much rather focus on situational awareness and solid strikes from elbows and fists.

Plus, if escape is one of the things you hope to do, I wouldn’t recommend using your car key. Bend it even a little bit and you’ll be on foot.

I prefer using one big key… Using multiple keys like that would be a bit too much and would detract from your situational awareness. On top of that, regular sized keys would probably just cut the hell out of your fingers and not be stable enough to make an effective strike.

J-

jjk

Well what do you guys think about people teaching it in one 2 hour university self defense clases?

quote jjk:

Well what do you guys think about people teaching it in one 2 hour university self defense clases?

Maybe briefly as a technique, but I wouldn’t focus on it.

satilan

quote mara_jade:

I admit, I can’t remember where I heard about holding the keys between your fingers for a weapon. I’ve been doing it whenever I’m heading to my vehicle. I’ve seen one in the KM DVDs (think it’s Marni in it), where she’s about to be attacked and throws the keys in the attacker’s as a distraction while then giving a front kick at the same time.

This is the correct way to use your keys.
    Keys provide with little effect, little range, and can easily cut you as much as your opponent. Use them as distraction. I also remember learning this in my “using the environment in a fight” class.

giant-killer

Hmmm, why use the keys if the actually brass knuckle is your key chain? :):

How about taking a bunch of keys (or quarters if you have them) into your hand and then punch the guy? Would the additional weight cause greater damage to the opponent?

quote Giant Killer:

How about taking a bunch of keys (or quarters if you have them) into your hand and then punch the guy? Would the additional weight cause greater damage to the opponent?

i dont know abou the keys, but a bunch of us used to use “fist packs” (usualy a roll of quarters) when we’d get into brawls in my younger days. usualy did quite a bit more damage.

jjk

quote Giant Killer:

No, probably not. Because force is equal to mass times velocity squared. Which means that if you had a choice, you would want to make your fists move faster, instead of making them heavier. If the quarters weighed down your hand a little bit, the effects could be offset because you moved slower.

This is one of the reasons amateurs, and people sparring, use heavier boxing gloves. And then real fights have lighter ones.

vwr32

quote Giant Killer:

that’s kind of the point….

I agree, a key is better than nothing. But in a discussion about teaching people to use something so readily handy to defend oneself, why not teach them to put something on there that might actually serve as a decent weapon? The instructors of these classes already have the attention of people interested in self-defense. It bears the same logic as telling someone they can pull their underwear off and strangle the attacker or simply throw a shoe at them in a home invasion instead of suggesting purchasing a weapon and learning how to use it.

Improv should be for when you’re caught unprepared imo. I don’t like to “plan” to be unprepared. It’s good to be able to think about potential weapons you can use in your environment, but if there’s something so specific that will *always* be with me as I’m walking across a dark parking lot… why not add something to them which will definitely be better than lobbing my keys into the darkness for distraction or hoping I can hit a soft target like his eye with a key as he’s swinging at me?

I took it off my keychain for the pic, but my keychain normally has a carabiner clip on it. You can get them in different sizes, they aren’t illegal, and it fits perfectly against my palm enclosing the first three fingers into a very solid makeshift brass knuckle.

I guess I just have an issue where people who are looking for ways to defend themselves are told to hold a key between their fingers. We’re a perfect example too. On a board dedicated to self-defense we can’t even come to a concensus about what’s the best way to hold the keys, or to throw them, or how many to hold at any given time.

The time to wonder if something is going to work for you isn’t when you’re being targeted by someone you think looks suspicisous. Holding a key between your fingers might be enough to build confidence in some, but maybe not others. Imo, there are simply too many items out there *made* to fit on a keychain which are leaps and bounds better than hoping a key works. While some folks wont find them as “personal” as say some tiny flip-flops or plastic beads, it may help them get home safely.

A quick google search yields tons of possible options. If you’re worried about the legality of something, browse a hardware store or sporting goods store. Pick things up, try them out… it just has to be better than a key.

kuboton
    “Black Cat” keychain
    LeClasp
    Pepper Spray for keychains
    Wild Katz and Dogz
    Stinger Keychain
    Romatron
    PlastiKen Knuckle Keychain (similar to my carabiner use)

If you’re not into buying without trying, a good place to look is swap meets or flea markets. Look around in the booths where they sell knives. Shop around and you’ll see lots of different odd looking keychains specifically designed to ruin an attacker’s day.

[/rant]

skaldgrimnir

I’ve seen some people damage their hands pretty bad when screwing around with keys. If you have a single long key, I feel it might work better.

If you have a mass of keys on a key chain, you could sort of whip it across an attackers face to cause a distraction.

But honestly, what might be better is something as simple as a bic pen. Take the cap off, and hold it in either an upward or downward position. It can pierce, and will usually have half an inch to an inch on a key…

In any case, I would guess that as you are stabbing or punching, or whatever, you need to do a quick kick to the shins or a knee, and once you can, get the hell out of there.

My wife, right now, has three guys who work in her tattoo shop and they make sure she makes it to her car before they leave. None the less, I make sure she has a knife (of legal length), and am planning on buying her a gun, safety classes, and a chl class.

giant-killer

Don’t the heavier boxing gloves also have more padding to protect the opponent?

mara-jade

Seeing those pictures of the brass knuckles, I came across this

http://budk.com/blast-knuckles-stun-gun/p/23%20PEZAPBK950/c/3100/

vwr32

quote mara_jade:

Seeing those pictures of the brass knuckles, I came across this

http://budk.com/blast-knuckles-stun-gun/p/23%20PEZAPBK950/c/3100/

whoa, i saw those at the flea market today and didn’t know what they were. cool. A little bulkier than other stunguns so not sure it would be my first pick.

mara-jade

There’s some doozies on stun products now. There’s even a cell phone one

http://budk.com/stun-guns/c/6238/c2c/sc/

vwr32

I don’t think i’d carry one because of the bulk, but am really thinking of getting one for my wife. Saw this one on youtube… I think the sound alone is enough to make someone think twice about attacking lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8-t_a-DwxY

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: