Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Handling threats in high school

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    don

Re: Handling threats in high school

Lot of good info and food for thought in the posts above! As has been mentioned, you can be confident in yourself but be careful not to overestimate your own abilities and be very careful not to underestimate your opponent (there is usually a possibility, however small, that even the least able opponent can get a lucky shot in).

I normally like to remind my students/partners that until proven otherwise, every BG has fighting skills, is armed with one or more deadly weapons, and has friends waiting to jump in to help him…

High school and growing up has really really changed since my time. A lot more negative influences out there, deadly weapons, harder drugs, school shootings, many instances of broken homes/poor upbringing, decreased sensitivity to sex/drugs/violence/etc, kids getting killed, more gangs, more gang violence, less honor, less fairness, less take it like a man and being responsible, etal… Be careful…

ncsam160

If this guy has been losing multiple fights, it makes me think he has something to prove. He got torn up in public, and now his ego is hurt, and he needs to prove he can fight.

Be watchful, but let it go. You don’t have to let him shove you around, but I wouldn’t give him the time of day. Nothing annoys bullies more than you not being intimidated by him.

jdawgmcb

quote NCSam160:

If this guy has been losing multiple fights, it makes me think he has something to prove. He got torn up in public, and now his ego is hurt, and he needs to prove he can fight.

Be watchful, but let it go. You don’t have to let him shove you around, but I wouldn’t give him the time of day. Nothing annoys bullies more than you not being intimidated by him.

What would be the appropriate action if he jumped me or simply threw a punch at me after a verbal encounter?

blitzshlag

A couple points:

If this kid has a history of street fighting and you don’t, trained or untrained, he has a big leg up on you. Like others have said, a month (or 5 months) of class training won’t prepare you as much as a few real-world fights. So don’t underestimate the threat.

Whatever you decide to do, the most important thing is that you stand your ground. Letting bullies pick on you is the kind of thing that can haunt you for the rest of your life, and in the near term ruin your social life because you come off looking weak. Worse-case scenario (unless this guy is gang-connected) is you take a few punches, and maybe catch a few days out of school. Nobody’s going to convict you of any crime for a fight you didn’t start. The upside of that is you’ll be proud you stood your ground, and trust me he’ll look for a different target regardless of the outcome.

Good luck.

stevetuna

If he jumped you or punched at you, then you are being attacked. Thus, you should defend yourself. And anything worth doing is worth doing well, right? Use an appropriate amount of force to defend yourself. No more, no less.

Consider this for a moment: If you knock him down, you do not have the automatic right to kick him in the head. You must understand that the context of the situation is very important. Two guys in a fight at school is different than a mugger attacking you in a parking lot or a large male attacking a small female.

Do what you must to keep yourself safe. But understand completely that you win every single fight that you don’t get in.

Good luck, and keep training. Soon you’ll realize that ignoring a bully and avoiding a fight is a better way (as was previously stated by NCSam).

ncsam160

quote jdawgmcb:

What would be the appropriate action if he jumped me or simply threw a punch at me after a verbal encounter?

Defend yourself. If he throws a punch, you are not obligated to take it. If he takes a swing, then by all means go hands on. Like the above poster said, you don’t have to render the guy unconcious, but defend yourself and end the fight. Meet a threat with like force.

Also a good point by the above poster, is that the best fights are the ones you avoid. One of the best pieces of training I’ve ever received is learning how to be confident enough in my abilities so that I can avoid a fight.

stickfig13

Why don’t you set up a fight at your Gym to see who’s boss 🙂

Invite the whole school. HE will look like the chump if he doesn’t show.

stephx777

quote blitzshlag:

Nobody’s going to convict you of any crime for a fight you didn’t start.

Not necessarily. High schools today (at least mine) are alot more strict about that. Just recently two kids at my school got into a fight. The one guy punched the other guy from behind, so the other guy promptly turned around and fought back. Both got in trouble. In fact, despit there being eyewitness saying he didn’t start the fight, the guy that got hit got in more trouble because he was the first one the teacher saw.

So yeah, when it comes to high school, don’t always think claiming self defense will protect you.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: