Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Have you used KM in real life

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author

Re: Have you used KM in real life

quote TheCrownsOwn:

You need help. I’m not joking. If you are visualizing killing people with this type of frequency you could be a danger to yourself or others. It isn’t funny. It’s disturbing. Please, get a check up. It isn’t funny at all….

I disagree with you completely. This is a basic lesson in situational awareness for armed professionals and has some merit for unarmed but trained individuals. I will agree that most people would be extremely well off just opening their eyes and actually “seeing” their surroundings, but for those who are armed and are obligated to act in defense of innocent life, things are different. It’s not a matter of “visualizing” or “fantasizing” about the gory details (which I hope is what you mean), rather it’s an ongoing decision cycle based on Boyds OODA loop. If this person does “A”, I will do “B”. The reality is that the end result of the suspects actions will generally be their own demise at my hands. Visualizing, gameplanning, whatever you want to call it, has saved my life on numerous occasions. There is truth in the training maxim “Be polite, be professional, have a plan to kill everyone you meet”.

cmetalman

https://kravmaga.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2335 , older topic sound familiar?

It is sometime very hard to tell online what that person’s mind, body language and facial experssions may be on the internet.

David may have meant well. That is why the next post I made ( post # 15 ) was to show what is normal and what is not normal.

Boyd’s OODA Loop can be read in the books that Loren Christensen writes about martial arts and self defense.

Sometimes people say something and it comes across as wrong when it is actually right.

quote cmetalman:

Well, at least we’re consistent!thumbsup

mara-jade

quote Jeremy Stafford:

Well, at least we’re consistent!thumbsup

Hey Jeremy!

Great to see you! Hope things are going well for you!:wav:

quote mara_jade:

Hey Jeremy!

couldn’t be better…. I hope you are well, Mara!

unstpabl1

quote mara_jade:

Hey Jeremy!

+1 :beer:

As a member of my city’s metal scene, I go to a lot of shows, and see my fair share of bar brawls. Generally, I let them go their course. A couple weeks ago, however, a fight was getting a bit out hand, and I moved through the crowd and grabbed the dominant fighter’s shirt and tried to jerk him back to separate him from the other guy, who was getting beaten pretty bad. Really, grabbing the shirt wasn’t a great idea, as he just became aggressive towards me. He threw a punch typical of someone without organized fighting experience, wide without any form of guard or strong posture. Instincts kicked in, I ducked out of the way, grabbed him around his torso, and charged him off his feet.

Once I had him in a mount I just hit him a couple of times, and when he tried to shield himself I got off of him and pulled him to his feet. After that he cooperated with me. I told him that if he’s going to pick fights, do it elsewhere. And that was the end of it.

I’m not one to try to spark conflict, but I have to admit, it was nice falling into a situation that required the skills I’d learned in Krav Maga in the real world. It really gave me more confidence in the system and made me feel like my monthly payment is going to something worthwhile.

dkatman

Ha! I am stuck somewhere between “Lighten up, Francis!” and just plain are you serious?

I am normally above online mudslinging and so I will try to maintain some self respect.

I remember the threads referenced quite well. I probably should have chosen my words more carefully. But somehow when I am trying to conjure the image of Liam Neeson in Taken and you are visualizing Dexter, you may be the one who needs help.

I find it very how I have been made out to be the psychiatric patient because of the images you see when you read my words. I apologize for trying to use a metaphor instead of a simile (it is always easier to understand a comparison when words such as “like” are used). Yes, I really meant neutralizing the threat. I have no interest or desire in stopping anyone from living or from causing there death. I did not become “excited” by the awareness I had.

I have a coworker who likes to pop out as if to attack my a la Kato (that is a Pink Panther reference for those who are still sure the voices speak to me; the Francis reference is from Stripes….that is also a movie). He does not really attack me, but is like “what would you do then” from a safe distance. I always tell him that the first hit is free…Frankly I am sure I don’t have any option other than taking the first shot I have no reason to expect…it is what I do from there that I can control.

I was really looking to add that I still benefit and use Krav Maga without striking anyone.

While I used that example, I do not always visualize people attacking me. I do work in downtown LA. There is a wide variety of people and characters. Sometimes it is just being vigilant in noticing what people have in their hands as they walk by. Is that a cell phone? Is it a blade? Are they walking with a closed fist? What is their demeanor? I had a former coworker who was cut by a needle from someone on the street a year before I started work there. I do not live my life in fear that this will happen to me. I do not fantasize someone will try it. But I do try to keep an eye on my surroundings (you know, when I am not typing emails as I walk along the street) and try to have some kind of a plan if……

It is way easier to defend an overhand knife attack when the instructor says “attack your partner with an overhand stab with your right hand” than having some randomly or not randomly pull out a knife and stab at you. But we don’t really train for the “partner” attack. We train for the instances we may be thrust into using what we have learned. While I like to think I will respond appropriately, every day I don’t have to strike anyone is a day that it all worked to perfection.

Good Luck to you and thank you for the concern.

Dave

Dave, not that you need any back up from me, but I totally understood where you are coming from and I happen to agree with you 100%. Those observational and tactical readiness skills will keep you alive one day. Good job bro!

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: