Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Help a newb with Krav Maga

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    golf-pro

Hi,

My wife and I want to learn krav maga for self defense. We aren’t the richest people in the world, and DVD’s are less than the cost of the classes they offer here in Louisville, KY.

is it necessary to be involved in a class and “be physical” or can you learn what to practice and be proficient with DVD learning?

Thanks!

jay99

Re: Help a newb with Krav Maga

The DVD’s can help, the book can help, but nothing can replace a class. If the timing for training in a class does not work for you just yet than perhaps think of adding the Bas Rutten work out discs as well. That should offer you some good exposure to start with until you can join us in a class.

Hope that helps!

golf-pro

Thanks for the response!

kmman

How far is school from you?

golf-pro

not far, 10 miles or so.

But it’s a school that’s for boxing, BJJ, kids stuff and personal fitness training called Core in Louisville, KY

Rolando Haddad is the teacher. (maybe fought in UFC?)

Classes seem high. $100 per person per month. $30 enrollment fee.

http://www.corelouisville.com

What do you think? Does it seem trustworthy?

I haven’t heard anything about that school, but their website looks interesting. $100 a month isn’t bad, especialy if it’s inclusive of all the classes. Anybody heard of this place before?

J-

golf-pro

well, it’s not inclusive of all classes, just KM. BJJ is like $115 a month, etc. The bag costs another $50 per month, and the access to the gym is $35 (for training outside of class).

But they are the only place that teaches KM in town.

Sooo… thats why I contemplated the dvd’s.

What KM association are they a part of I don’t see any affiliation on their site? (NM I just noticed they are a part of KMWW)

$100 a month is not bad at all as that is what I pay currently for my classes.

If they offer a trial period I’d check them out and see what they have to offer you but just remember you can’t get to know the school completely from just one visit.

They look like a pretty legitimate place but then again I dealt with a Jeet Kun Do Dojo online trying to buy shoes from them and got ripped off.

The DVDs’ are a good addition to your training as well as the Krav Maga book but nothing can take the place of having a certified instructor showing you the techniques properly and critiquing you to hone your skills.

golf-pro

The gentleman that runs the place, Rolando Haddad emailed me to tell me that his affiliation was with KMWW and what Darren Levine (sp?) teaches.

That’s good, right?

jburtonpdx

quote golf_pro:

The gentleman that runs the place, Rolando Haddad emailed me to tell me that his affiliation was with KMWW and what Darren Levine (sp?) teaches.

That’s good, right?

uhm…

yep, thats the stuff…

jonj480

I am by no means an expert, what with a whole month under my belt, but I think that the big thing that you would miss from the DVDs is the mentality training. The whole “never give up” attitude, and when you have given all that you think you can, give a little more to save your life.

I think that in a class setting, you push yourself harder than what you would at home. I know that for me, I work much harder when I am not by myself. If you had asked me 2 months ago if I thought I could do an hour of cardio, I would have laughed at you. Not that it is easy now, but every class I go to, I can push a little harder.

Again, I am new myself, and not an expert, but I know that if I was watching a DVD I would not train nearly as hard as they push us to in class.

If you have the opportunity, I would try out the school. Krav training has been amazingly beneficial to me so far, and I would not have seen most of the benefits if I was learning by myself at home.

stevetuna

Mr. Haddad’s establishment is listed on the “Locations” section of the main Krav Maga website (kravmaga.com). Thus, you know that he offers classes taught by instructors trained by the best and that the curriculum meets the Krav Maga standards.

Give it a try! You may find that the cost of $100 per month is pretty cheap when compared to the benefits that you’ll get. Good luck!

kmman

$100 a month is not bad…unlimited KM classes? Do they train up to higher levels? See if you get family discount? Try a free class or trial class. If they are KMWW thats all you need to know since they will follow a curriculum. Tapes cannot teach what classes can. Theres no way of correcting.

Go for it….you will not regret it.

golf-pro

!!!UPDATE!!!

So I went to the beginning class tonight to observe. Here is what happened.

1 hour class of beginners. Looks like everyone has had 1 or two classes so far (no one really advanced).

The instructor was Mr. Haddad. It was VERY spontaneous. No set schedule. He had the students warm up (cardio, stretches) and then do some striking (knees, straight punches) for half of the hour. Then for about 20 mins worked on kicking from your back and getting up.

Not really what I was expecting and very off the cuff. I was expecting a curriculum (sp?) and more of “how to get out of this situation (i.e. choked”). Is this how most classes are?

I thought the people were great and the facilities were awesome, but for $180 a month for my wife and I, I am still undecided.

The do train higher levels, at least there was a sign up sheet for taking an orange/blue test (?).
    What do you think?

ryan

Ro is a very talented instructor and fighter. I would highly recommend him and his school.

I don’t understand your description of the class, though. He had a warm-up, a lesson on combatives, and a lesson on basic groundfighting. Sounds organized to me (plus, remember, this was just ONE class.)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: