Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Help a newb with Krav Maga

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    golf-pro

Re: Help a newb with Krav Maga

quote Ryan:

Ro is a very talented instructor and fighter. I would highly recommend him and his school.

I don’t understand your description of the class, though. He had a warm-up, a lesson on combatives, and a lesson on basic groundfighting. Sounds organized to me (plus, remember, this was just ONE class.)

You’re right, he did. And I am not discrediting his teaching at all. Just trying to see if this is how a class structure normally is for KM schools.

golf_pro I think you’ll find that there will be some variety in what you do from session to session and will have plenty of time to work on getting out of chokes, headlocks, & more advanced things as time goes on.

What you described in your class sounds like what our class does often as well.

kmcat

quote golf_pro:

… It was VERY spontaneous. No set schedule. He had the students warm up (cardio, stretches) and then do some striking (knees, straight punches) for half of the hour. Then for about 20 mins worked on kicking from your back and getting up.

Not really what I was expecting and very off the cuff. I was expecting a curriculum (sp?) and more of “how to get out of this situation (i.e. choked”). Is this how most classes are? …

This sounds like a typical class, but there is more to it than meets the eye. All of what you saw is part of the whole system.

The warm up physically exercises your body and “pre-stresses” you body.

The next part is learning a basic technique (per your level) and serves to introduce it to you if you have not seen it before, or review/practice if you have seen it before.

The last part is to work on a more advanced technique. Frequently it ties in with the basic technique although it does not have to.

The classes rotate through a whole series. As you come back lesson to lesson, week to week you will rotate through the whole curriculum (yes, they are following one).

Unlike traditional martial arts you don’t get a static situation presented. You will learn about chokes, but a static “how to get out of this situation” instruction list is not what Krav Maga is about.

A choke attack can easily turn into a different type of attack. Actual events are very fluid. With Krav Maga you learn various techniques/tools that are drilled till they become instinctive. There is also a never give up attitude that is taught as well.

The other thing the warm up does is simulate the stress of an actual attack so that you are not learning in your frontal lobe, you are learning in your cerebellum.

vinman

if they do indeed teach KM, then take the classes…its worth the money !!

kmky

If I’m not mistaken Rolando Haddad’s is the head instructor for the the guys that teach KM to the Kentucky State Police. I’ve only heard good things about his instruction.

golf-pro

I’ve been on a lot of different forums for different things in my life. Videogames, sports, etc. But you guys are really insightful and intelligent. All the more reason that I am interested in taking the classes.

Thanks for all the great feedback and it looks like my wife and I are going to start next week!

kmman

This was said before but schools follow a system of rotating class focus so this wek may be ground, next week may be striking….all with different techniques. You just happened to begin when fround was being focused on. This way, whenever you begin, you will be taught everything and they dont have to start a group of people at point “A”. You can start at pioint “M” and eventually will get to point “A”.

Our classes consist of warmups (instructors are creative), Combatives, various techniques and drills. They are always challenging.

ryan

As I said before, Ro is very good. Also, he’s sent some of his instructors here for certification, and they were very good as well (which is a further testament to Ro.) I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

la-revancha

He’s legit. One stop shop for whatever you’re looking for (self-defense, fighting, fitness), and quality instruction to boot!

Rolando, like Ryan Hoover, is good for America!!!

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: