Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Help, My knee’s don’t like the exercise

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Hi all, I am hoping a few of the experieinced folks here may have some advise. I am trying Krav at the LA location as it is very near my office. I have loved it, except that after each session (or two if I get lucky) when I get home my knee starts to hurt and by the next morning I can’t walk. It takes two to four weeks to feel normal again, and the first session back it starts all over again. I took an extra two weeks before my last class and spent some time on treadmills working up to 2.5 miles without any pain before going back to class, and now I am on my second week off now after my last class and am still not walking without a limp. The pain is on the inside of my right knee, it never hurts during the class, only hours afterward. I confess I have not been into very strenuous activity for quite a few years and am now 46 and heavy, so I’m not a spring or a springy chicken. My doctor took xrays and see’s nothing wrong and offers no advise except to act my age and try something less taxing (and a prescription for ibupofen). I would like to see if the forum has any advise, maybe from experience on what I can do to talk my knee into letting me continue, or perhaps a refferal to a really good sports medicine person who would be more helpful than my HMO doc. I really want to work through this, but also take more than one to two classes a month without all the hobble time in between.
    Thank you to anyone who has anything to offer/suggest.

crazy-train

Re: Help, My knee’s don’t like the exercise

I didn’t have it as bad as what you describe, but I did have the sore knees after class. After losing a few pounds they didn’t hurt as much, but still was annoying. I eventually got some knee braces. I started out with a set that has the hinged steel bar, then stepped down to a set that has the flexible band down the side, then to a set that was more of a compression type of brace. This seemed to work, for me, coupled with some rest when they needed it.

Hope it helps.

unstpabl1

Don, I’m going to preface this by saying I’m not a doctor, so anything I say should be taken with grain of salt.

Seeing the Doc said there is nothing “apparently wrong” try the ibprofen after class and “ICE” the knees ASAP. For some reason their becoming inflamed from the work, could be the weight, could be not strong enough to handle the work load….Ice will probably go a long way in solving the problem, even 18 y/o NBA stars are required to ice the knees down after practice and games…maybe you can do away with the ibprofen, but I think you’ll like the ice…either way its worth a try….most athletes are using cold therapy as part of their regeneration process…lot of info on the web should you be inclined to google

Hope this helps

jjbklb

i’d suggest taking Tylenol BEFORE you leave for class.

maddogmean

I had some knee problems as well. I went to a sports medicine doctor. He couldn’t find anything seriously wrong. He said I may have bruised some cartilage. I attributed it to full-force knees to the heavy bag during our bag class. Now I just watch the knees to the heavy bag and wear a brace during class.

unstpabl1

quote jjbklb:

i’d suggest taking Tylenol BEFORE you leave for class.

Tylenol is a pain reliever, so it will mask only the pain. Ibprofen is an antiinflamitory so it will work against the inflamation. Which is why the doctor offered him the ibprofen script instead of acetaminophen. I take both with no problems and prescibed during gout attacks. Just taking vicadin( acetaminophen) alone will not knock out an attack(gout), but the NSAID alone will. However the vicadin helps ese the pain. What I’m saying is you can use both ibprofen and tylenol and they work good in tandem to relieve both the pain and the inflamation, but don’t take some idiots(mine) advice over the net, ask your pharmicist. Remember there are side effects to all drugs and I’m of the Less is More camp.

Taking a NSAID before class isn’t a bad idea. I do/did before class sometimes, but make sure you take them with food as they can cause stomach issues

stevem174

I am not a Doc, but I have had two knee surgeries. I would suggest you find a good orthopedic Doc. If you don’t have any allergies to meds, the NSAIDS are a good idea, but I would include ice as soon as you can after you workout. I have been known to drive home from the gym with ice wraps on.

safetyal

Let me preface with I am not a doctor, but I did watch an actor play one on tv.

Check out some of the running websites. They talk about different kind of running gaits (pronation) and what can attribute to what is commonly called runners knee. See if changing your shoe type helps. I had a similar problem when I first started.

bjelder

I’m not a doctor either, but I did stay at the holiday inn express last night.

Have you thought about physical therapy? If not for rehabilitation, they should have some excellent exercises to strengthen your leg muscles which in turn should help with knee pain?

Just a thought.

Thank you all for the replies. I am gathering ice packs and wraps, checking the running sites and getting ready to give it another go. I may try to find a good private practice orhto or sports doc if this continues, misery does love company so, I’m sorry to hear others have been down this road, but glad I’m not the exception this time. That gives me some hope there maybe a light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks again to all who took the time to chime in,
    Don

garddawg

Don
    I am just an old guy, but I’m pretty active. Not a doctor, but make my living training people.
    1. Adjust your diet and lose weight. Your knees will thank you.
    2. Take Fish Oil. Lots of it. Your joints will thank you, your heart will as well.
    3. Learn to squat properly and then do it a couple of times a week. This almost always cures knee pain in people who have been inactive and who have relatively healthy knees.

jjbklb

I take Fish oil two to three times a day for it’s mild anti-inflammatory effect.

I can tolerate NSAIDS like ibuprofin for only a couple of days before it upsets my stomach.

The safest thing to take for long-term day in /day out use is Tylenol.

future-swat

quote Don Trousdale:

Hi all, I am hoping a few of the experieinced folks here may have some advise. I am trying Krav at the LA location as it is very near my office. I have loved it, except that after each session (or two if I get lucky) when I get home my knee starts to hurt and by the next morning I can’t walk. It takes two to four weeks to feel normal again, and the first session back it starts all over again. I took an extra two weeks before my last class and spent some time on treadmills working up to 2.5 miles without any pain before going back to class, and now I am on my second week off now after my last class and am still not walking without a limp. The pain is on the inside of my right knee, it never hurts during the class, only hours afterward. I confess I have not been into very strenuous activity for quite a few years and am now 46 and heavy, so I’m not a spring or a springy chicken. My doctor took xrays and see’s nothing wrong and offers no advise except to act my age and try something less taxing (and a prescription for ibupofen). I would like to see if the forum has any advise, maybe from experience on what I can do to talk my knee into letting me continue, or perhaps a refferal to a really good sports medicine person who would be more helpful than my HMO doc. I really want to work through this, but also take more than one to two classes a month without all the hobble time in between.
    Thank you to anyone who has anything to offer/suggest.

Possibly shed a few pounds then get back into it.Haven’t done it yet but at 46 and outta shape,then jumping right into an intese program is hard on your body.Start a good workout program shed some pounds then try again.If you continue you could hurt yourself then, never be able to do or enjoy Krav.

scottppa

Hello, Don and everyone –

New to this forum – found it after googling for Krav and knee injuries. I’ve only been in Krav Maga for a few months and my progress has been slow, but now it’s even more hampered – was warming up in KMFit class about 10 days ago and felt a “pop” in my left knee. Stupidly, I gutted it out and finished the class. Turns out I tore the medial cartilage in my left knee – I’m day 4 postop now. What’s frustrating is that I LOVE this – I’ve been out of class since the injury and I’m going CRAZY. I see my orthopedic surgeon in follow-up tomorrow, but I know it’s going to be a while until I can be back in class again. I don’t have a bag or pads at home – any suggestions on what I can do to keep working my Krav in the meantime? Should I let my instructor know? Don – good luck and take care of those knees! I’m glad it wasn’t a ligament or anything, but I’ll tell you — this is FRUSTRATING!

unstpabl1

don’t be in a rush to jump back in. take the time to fully recover. That doesn’t mean sitting on your butt eating bon bons and drinking sodas by the gallons like me. Try to see a good sports physical therapist. The time you take to rehab and the patience you utilize will be rewarded. However if you scrimp on either and don’t follow thru, you’ll set yourself even farther back

As they keep telling me krav will still be there and absolutely tell your instructor. He may have sources you know not of

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: