Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics How do you keep in shape for Krav

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    johnny-fred

I am 13 to 😀

So i should basically use:

Deadlifts, Squats, Bench Press (Powerlifts)
    Snatch, Clean And Jerk (Olympic Lifting)
    (All with dumbbells)

And some other compound movements such as

Rows
    Shoulder Press
    Push Press
    Jerk Press
    Lunges

Also pullups, crunches, pushups, etc?

Thanks for all the info,

garddawg

That would be a good start. Mix in some running and you’ll be set. (I do mean run, not jog. Anything from the 50 to 800 at an all out run.) Do you have a heavy bag?

johnny-fred

yes, I have a heavy bag (80 pounds) and some gloves. And when doing the olympic lifting movements, does it have to be 1 handed, or can it be 2 handed (using dumbbells) since the videos i saw (crossfit) it showed 1 handed…

thanks for all the help,

garddawg

Most can be done with two dumbbells. The snatch, because of stability issues should be done with a bar or a single dumbbell.

johnny-fred

Yes, but i heard that kids, up to about 15 or 16, should do low weight, high reps when lifting weights (8-12 reps) because it can ‘damage their growth plates’ or something, is this true? Also, how often can you do these exercises (days a week), and how many sets or reps?

thanks,

jjbklb

Amir Perots workout

I recently got Amir Perets 2- disc self-defense DVD set.

Volume 1 has a 30 minute exercise workout that is very intensive.It works all your major muscle groups.It includes an interesting variation to the push-up where one arm is placed further back than the other.

I had a problem with the DVD image freezing unexpectedly several times .I only played it through once,so I’ll have to re view it once more to see if I got a bad disc or the DVD went kerflunkey (technical term) on me.

By the way,on my last Krav class before Thanksgiving,our instructor said that in honor of the upcoming increased calories & our missing a class ,we would have an extra ‘fun’ workout .We really hit the conditioning extra hard.We ended up doing a total of 200 sit-ups in various forms.

We also took stacks of exercise pads.we would do a set of push-ups next to them.Next,a set with one arm on the stack & one on the floor.Next,both arms on the stack,then the other side.

After the class,the floor had the most sweat puddles that I had seen yet. 🙂

garddawg

J.F.
    My wife is working on her youth fitness trainer certification so she could probably answer this more fully. The generally accepted view is that once a young person is around 12-13 it is okay to lift weights. New studies are showing that there is no detremental effects of light weight lifting at younger age. My own case study would be my six year old who every day has to pack his 25 pound book pack to school. He lifts it from the floor (Deadlift), carries it on his back and picks things up he has dropped on the ground (squats/lunges), Climbs into my truck (weighted pullups) and puts it on the counter each night when he comes home (overhead press/push press). I will get back to you in a few years to let you know if he sustains any longterm damage.
    If you have concerns or want help getting started feel free to email us off our site, we would be glad to help you with specifics and get you started.

johnny-fred

Ok, thanks,

And should i have a ‘routine’ or how should i ‘plan’ each workout. Also, are their any other specific exercises I should focus on other than the ones at the top of this page? And are Hindu pushups, Hindu Squats, and the Back Bridge (Matt Furey’s ‘royal court’ you’ve probably heard of them) really as good as some people say they are?

garddawg

Personally, I like the Hindu Pushups and use them in my warmup. I like the bridging exercises although I don’t likegoing to the extremes Furey suggests. I think the Hindu Squats he suggests are good but not as functional as working on becomming limber enough to do deep squats with your heels on the ground. But that is just my opinion.
    As far as routine, I follow CrossFit WOD, and use the Bas tapes for SPP and Krav Maga for specific skills. So, my \”routine\” changes daily. Todays workout will be to get as many rounds as I can in 20 minutes of:
    Deadlifting 155 pounds X 21 reps and a 400 meter run. My wife will do the same workout but drop the weight to 95, and my son will use a smaller weight. After that. I’ll probably hit the bags and work on some KM techniques.

johnny-fred

Yes, but is it okay to follow a set routine (like at the top of the first page) And how many sets and reps should I do,

thanks,

garddawg

J.F.
    Sure it is okay to follow a set rep routine. Let me ask you a question. Why would you; given that the bodybuilding model you propose, of set reps and rest between exercises leads to diminshing returns?

johnny-fred

So if i use a set rep routine, the workout will not be as effective as if i didn’t? Then what do i do for each workout… just whatever i feel like?

clfmak

For fighting, check out Matt Furey’s stuff. He was a world shuai chao kung fu champion (similar to judo or glima) a good while ago (one might say a bit too long ago to keep going on and on about, but whatever) and his work is all bodyweight exercises.
    For fighting, it is more important to have short term intense endurance. You get this from sprints and such, not running marathons. Explosive force is what is useful in fighting, either striking or grappling.
    With weights, you can do non-isolation exercises like \”slow\” shadowboxing with weights, or structured exercises like continuous timed uppercuts with weights. Structured punching with weights is a key stage in developing forceful punches in shaolin kung fu.
    And, with this segue, stance training: Combatives people tend to avoid anything involved with traditional martial arts like the plague. But stance training can be very useful for developing combative fitness. In stance training, you build leg strength that is functional for balance, kicking, lifting, and grappling. If you’re doing curls or something with your arms, try doing it standing in a horse stance, bow stance, etc.

garddawg

J.F.
    Often I get people who come into my gym who say they want to learn self defense. They ask me what they should take. I recommend Krav Maga, because I believe, after 25 years in the martial arts, that Krav Maga has been designed to be easy to learn, retain and perform under pressure, and is far and away the best choice for someone wanting to learn self defense. Invariably, someone will say \”What if I take Muay Thai and BJJ. Can I learn to defend myself if I train in those\”. The answer to that is \”Yes you can, it is just harder to get to the stated goal of learning self defense\”. When somebody says to me I want to be stronger and more fit for fighting, I recommend CrossFit. Because after years of working out, trying various programs I have found nothing that works like CrossFit. Invariably someone will say, I want to do this or that program. If that is what you want to do, go ahead. You just won’t get the same results you would if you follow the CrossFit program.

johnny-fred

Ok, but if I don’t use a routine, and I don’t use crossfit, what do I do for each workout?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: