Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics How long does it take to get a Black Belt in Krav Maga?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    atakrav

Now I’m just curious, because people ask me whats the best self defense out there. I think of Mai Tai, Jui Juitsu and Karata but I always tell them Krav Maga. And they always ask me how long does it take to get a belt, and then I go through the whole shpeel of how Krav dosen’t have belts and what not. But how long DOES it take to get a black belt in Krav Maga?

lazlo

…when you can walk on the rice paper without leaving any foot prints…
    …when the lion shall lay down with the lamb and the warrior shall beat his sword into a plowshare…
    …when you can grab the marble out of my hand….
    ….when you can catch the fly with the chop sticks…aigh! beginners luck!

Well, according to the book it says….dang…left it at home…

jack-diesel

Thats too funny!

That was funny Lazlo!!! ROFLMAO!!! 😆

kravjeff

😆 😆 😆

ATAKRAV:

Check this out for a \”real\” answer if you’re still interested. My understanding is that Black Belt is by invitation only. However, this page (from the NTC) will give you some info as to roughly how long each level takes.

https://kravmaga.com/laselfdefense.asp

sexybaldman

Re:

quote \”kravjeff\:

😆 😆 😆

ATAKRAV:

Check this out for a \”real\” answer if you’re still interested. My understanding is that Black Belt is by invitation only. However, this page (from the NTC) will give you some info as to roughly how long each level takes.

https://kravmaga.com/laselfdefense.asp

ok, now I am a little concerned. I have been at level one for 7 months, and going 5 days a week and some of those days r for 2 or 3 hour classes. So, according to the website, a sutent attending 2-3 classes can test into level 2 in FOUR months. Kinda distrurbs me it took almost 8 months to take the level 2 test. Bummer! Anybody have any ideas as why it would take so long?

lazlo

-Your school wanted to wait until there was a group of people ready to test
    -It is my understanding/assumption/what have you….that any school must have instructors that are two belt levels above the people that they are testing. If this is the case, who tests black? NTC only?
    -Maybe it \”slipped their mind?\”
    -The time lines given are guidelines and maybe your school is much stricter or possibly the brass doesn’t feel you are ready which they should have discussed with you so I doubt it’s that.
    -Last, maybe there’s something weird going on. I tested for my brown belt and haven’t gotten the diploma yet. I was told that I passed along with the rest of the cadre. This was a loooong time ago. I was tested by a black belt so I think somethings up between my school and LA. There’s always something.

sexybaldman

Re:

quote \”Lazlo\:

-Your school wanted to wait until there was a group of people ready to test
    -It is my understanding/assumption/what have you….that any school must have instructors that are two belt levels above the people that they are testing. If this is the case, who tests black? NTC only?
    -Maybe it \”slipped their mind?\”
    -The time lines given are guidelines and maybe your school is much stricter or possibly the brass doesn’t feel you are ready which they should have discussed with you so I doubt it’s that.
    -Last, maybe there’s something weird going on. I tested for my brown belt and haven’t gotten the diploma yet. I was told that I passed along with the rest of the cadre. This was a loooong time ago. I was tested by a black belt so I think somethings up between my school and LA. There’s always something.

– well two or more is a group and i know 4 of us were definitely ready.

– Dunno about the level thing.

– It could have, but I doubt it.

– I beleive it goes back to having a group. But a big group, where to me 4 is plenty big. But, not my decision, just a little furstating.

– I hope there is nothing weird going on, but one just never knows.

Thanks for the response.

atakrav

Re:

[quote=\”Lazlo\”]
    quote]

Ha, our school was freakin ghetto then, Not only did they charge us a 60$ fee for testing but our instructor went down to Florida to get certified (not sure what level) and then certified people all the way up to level 3…

anonymous

Black belt used to be invitation only, I believe that is still the case. I wonder if they might change it at some point with increasing numbers of brown belts running around.

But anyway, belts aren’t all that important in my opinion, as long as you feel you know how to use your KM skills correctly. The mugger isn’t going to ask you what belt level you are. And if he does, you better not tell him. 😉

kravjeff

Re:

quote \”Giantkiller\:

Black belt used to be invitation only, I believe that is still the case. I wonder if they might change it at some point with increasing numbers of brown belts running around.

But anyway, belts aren’t all that important in my opinion, as long as you feel you know how to use your KM skills correctly. The mugger isn’t going to ask you what belt level you are. And if he does, you better not tell him. 😉

Agree – But is there material taught to \”Black Belts\” that is unavailable to others? I think that would be my primary motivation to receive the rank of black belt, though there are other reasons as well. The recognition of achievement is important to many of us, no matter what we work hard to achieve (might be work related, good grades, etc…). Being extrememely competitive (even with, if not especially with myself) being recognized for accomplishment is importnant to me – Hell, it was a big deal when I passed my Level I test!!!

atakrav

There is a really good book called the Art of War, I would recomend everyone to read.

anonymous

Black Belt material should be taught in LV5. Weapons vs other weapons, multiple attackers with weapons, rifle, granade, all the good stuff. I really hope they will continue doing this, so everyone will get a chance to learn these things.

kravmdjeff

Sexy, don’t be concerned. There’s a reason why rank is de-emphasized in Krav Maga in general. Do not let the period of training drive what happens, as long as you are accomplishing your goals and enjoying yourself. There could be a million reasons why the training is taking longer than the website suggests.

I can tell you for myself as an instructor that it is somewhat unrealistic to EXPECT students to test after four months…every person is different.

kravjeff

SexyBaldMan –

Even if you haven’t tested into Level II, you may (if you haven’t already) be able to start taking higher level classes … While I agree w/KravMDJeff about the de-emphasis of rank, I’d be frustrated about not being able to move on to more advanced training (if that’s the case). If I were you, I would talk to your instructor about testing, and starting the Level II curriculum.

Let us know what happens …

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: