Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics how long in krav maga

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    jblackend

I was wondering what the average length of time a student stays in krav maga. i have been doing it 2.5 years and as much as i love it, it seems i havent learned anything really new in over six months.

I would like to continue but it seems our school isnt really teaching too much more advance classes since people are dropping out, or the instructors arent really certified to teach advance. As much as i dont want to leave I’m looking for a good martial art to add on to my krav maga. any suggestions or advice would be great. thanks

armitage

I’m not sure of your location and ability to travel, but you might want to look into attending seminars/training courses, or even other schools with higher level instructors. Also, have you graded as far as you can with your present school? Although I’ve been training on and off for a couple of years, now that I’m actually going for grading I’ve found that I’m really sharpening my techniques and maximising their effectiveness so to speak.

Just my $0.02 😉

vicious

some schools teach advanced material… there are over ten blue belts where i train…

i got my blue in ’02… just haven’t been concerned/ had the time to go for brown yet…

sinias

So, in some KM schools you have blue belts teaching others? So if someone were to get their blue belt and their current instructor hasn’t progressed any you have to look for another school or wait for a seminar to test for other belts? Just curious how KM teaching works.

g-v

What does blue belt translate to in terms of level?

jblackend

Thats the problem, some of the instructors dont even have belts in krav. maybe orange at best. i cant really go somewhere else because its over an hour away, not worth it.

vicious

white, yellow, orange, green, blue, brown, black…

And instructors have phase A B and C plus expert series to get themselves up to blue/brown… its their level of dedication… i understand time people have time constraints… i just would hope they make time…

leftie79

There are some Krav instructors here in the U.S that have their black belts. Not sure what ones.

If your instructor is blue belt and you were green belt for example, you would have to wait for your instructor to test for their brown belt before they can test you. Your instructor cannot be a blue belt testing you for blue. They have to be a belt ahead.

sinias

I guess I understand this from a traditional type of belt system. So, you can be a blue belt but if you take the certification course you can instruct someone two belt levels lower then you? What is the quality of instructors if you do it this way and donít you have a problem with maybe the student becoming the instructor if the current instructor doesn’t have the time or the money to move on to another belt level?

And if I’m understanding this right certification and being a black belt is totally different? Let me know if I’m wrong here. I believe what you teach in Krav Maga is very good but I’m a bit worried about the quality in the instructors you have. Seems to me that they are just being thrown out there and if an instructor gets a very serious student who wants to learn more that student is stuck because his/her instructor isn’t trained high enough to complete the training. I don’t mean to step on any toes here I just want to understand the philosophy you all have with your instructors.

kravmdjeff

I think that is a decent concern, but the benefit of actually teaching instructors how to teach far outweighs the possibility that a relatively inexperienced instructor.

My personal experience is this…I have been training in Krav for under a year. After 3-4 months of training, I certified for Phase A. So, all I teach right now are Level 1 classes…but I feel very confident in my ability to teach those classes effectively.

The fatal error that other MA systems (and other areas of instruction in general from professional certification to college education) is that, if you know the content, you can transfer the content regardless of one’s ability as a communicator.

There are several people I’ve met through Krav who are \”trained killers\” so to speak. I’m not one, but I believe I am a relatively good communicator, which is more important in my opinion than being able to be an expert on techniques that I’m not even going to be teaching in the first place until I’ve mastered them.

It puts the emphasis on the techniques themselves rather than the rank of the instructor.

jl

levels

jBlackend

it really depends on why you got involved with Krav in the first place. are you there to go up in levels or belts or are you there to learn how to defend yourself and possibly others? it was mentioned earlier about seminars and the like. Maybe Mr. Whitman could answer this a little more to shed light on the way the KMNTC works. (as far as levels vs. belts etc.) also he may help you in finding a way for you to advance…I understand your frustration, this is not the first time this has come up. Respectfully 🙂

jblackend

thats exactily the way i feel, I’m stuck because of the lack of instructors and the students for the advance classes.

that is the reason advance students are leaving because there is no instructors to teach, and this is the reason they are not having advance classes because of lack of students. so there is a communication gap here.

I’m taking krav to learn and to go through the belts. I dont want to continue to pay my monthly fee and not learn anything again for the next year.

jl

levels

I completely understand the dilema your going through. Again, maybe someone at the NTC can give you some direction. Don’t give up on Krav…hang in there. You’ll find a way 😈

dkst

Is there a list of teachers and levels they have accomplished? I would love to know what level my teacher has reached.

I can ask him, but I don’t want to insult him or make him unconfortable. Having said that, I know people are getting ready to test for out of level 4 so I assuming he has the ability to do that.

andre

Why be concerned about insulting him or making him feel uncomfortable. I imagine your paying for classes right. As long as you ask in a matter thatís non-confrontational, then I couldn’t foresee an instructor being phased by a paying customer asking what level their allowed to test to. If they do, then your training at the wrong school. 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: