Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics how long in krav maga

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    dkst

You know what, it doesn’t really matter to me, my instructor is great, who knows if I’ll even be in the same place by the time I’m ready to test at the higher levels (I’m level two for two months). What does bother me is the amount of time it takes people to move up on the lower levels. 6 months to test out of level 1, I can just imagen how long it will take to get out of level 2. All that said, I’m lovin my classes and learning new things in level 2 all the time.

sinias

I talked to a guy named Moni. I guess he teaches combat krav maga in canada. Anyways he told me for Phase 1 and 2 certification it takes about a year and a half. Not sure if this is the same with other Krav maga organizations. That is the same as, i guess, yellow and green belt.

anonymous

I ran into a guy that was taking Krav classes and he complained that it was similar to Tae Kwon Do.

WTF????

He told me he took them at a school that taught all sorts of things.

Apparently, this instructor decided to teach his own form of Krav. Stances were totally different, as were kicks, etc….

It seems that if you are going to teach Krav. Teach Krav, not TKD or anythingelse.

I guess if I were paying rent for a storefront, I might change things to suit my $$$ needs as well.

sinias

One thing I’ve noticed in a lot of schools is they will use a name of a certain system like Krav Maga or JKD to get students in the door. I know of one in my town that is a Kenpo studio (per say) and on his sign he has JKD concepts. The only type of JKD this place teaches is maybe the stance and a few simple trapping techniques. I don’t even think the Kenpo is anything I’ve seen before but then again I come from CHA3 Kenpo not American Kenpo.

dannyp

How long in Krav Maga?

I’ve been practicing Krav for 6 years. I only have the 2nd level belt. My approach is physical fitness and my JKD foundation that generally steers my philosophy. I really enjoy Krav I vs. Krav 2. It seems to be more physically challenging. My satisfaction comes from practicing a punch and a kick a million times. It just makes me more accurate and efficient. A lot of instructors I train under, I remember were newbies and I remember teaching them. But surprisingly now, they can point out what I’m doing wrong or when I get sloppy. So my opinion on this topic is that the qualified guys, more times than not, will stop doing Krav and you’ll have to learn from someone with less experience. It will be up to you to develop your path, whether in Krav or something else. My take is that Krav is the most modern of the arts and if you could perfect it, it’s all worth it. Forget the belts, in a confrontation, you’ll only need a few strong hits.

tough-girl

My studio tests up to Level 4, and it’ll be at least a year, probably a year and a half before I’m ready to test 4. Even after that, supposing we keep the same set of instructors, I’ll have plenty to learn. We have an instructor who served with the IDF who’s routinely showing us things that aren’t in the curriculum, and several current members of US armed forces who show us what they learn in their ongoing training.
    While I’ve always been happy with my studio, seeing what others have makes me even more thankful for it…if we only taught Level 1, it wouldn’t be the same for me, I really like sparring, the weopons skills, etc.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: