Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics How to defend the BUM RUSH?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Quick question. I have a pretty good idea how to defend against a person charging in to tackle you but what do you all feel is the best way to defend against a person who comes charging at you throwing a barrage of punches? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

anonymous

If you circle to the right or left, it should be harder for the guy to follow you and hit you at the same time. Meanwhile, you might get a good angle for a strong counter.

Another thing to do may be to dodge his punches and get close to him, tying him up. This might work especially well if he is throwing very wide hook punches (you could do a type of stick defense, once inside give knees, elbows).

You could also duck underneath the punches and go for a takedown, however that may be more complicated and not always the best thing to do in a street fight.

If he is just throwing punches, you could use kicks as a counter, keeping him at a distance and stopping the \”rush\” (front kick to midsection, if he is too close, klck to the groin).

Any type of strong counter would probably be the best way to stop him, if he is hurt himself, he’ll have a harder time continuing his attack.

Thanks GK.

I have thought about the defensive front kick (assuming I had enough time to get momentum behind me as I deliver the kick) but I think that would be more appropriate for someone who intends to tackle you.

We seem to be thinking along the same lines. I was considering getting off on an angle, throwing a flurry of counters, and then tie him up. I think I would stay away from the takedown. I don’t like the taste of knees.

Next question. Do you angle off to his jab side/hand or his straight?

jon-herman

Overhead stick/bat defense is also a consideration especially if the kicking range has been compromised.

Jon

Re:

quote \”Jon Herman\:

Overhead stick/bat defense is also a consideration especially if the kicking range has been compromised.

Jon

What type of kick did you have in mind if the kicking range had not been compromised?

esco

i was once in this scenario. i was lucky enough to see it coming from aways away. dude charged me from like the distance of a basketball court head on full speed. like i said i was able to see it coming, i got into a fighting stance and went with a front kick. i aimed for where an opponents abdomen would be in a sparring match, but because he was leaning forward when it happened i caught him more in the lower chest area. anyway, i didn’t time it right and instead of kicking him with my heel with my leg extended, it was more like him running into it/ smashing my foot into him while my leg was only 3/4 of the way there. it worked effectively enough. he fell to the ground, more like crumpled, with all the air knocked out of him. the force of the impact was really hard though and i ended up falling backwards, more like knocked back by the impact and my leg was sore for a week after that.

Re:

quote \”Esco\:

i was once in this scenario. i was lucky enough to see it coming from aways away. dude charged me from like the distance of a basketball court head on full speed. like i said i was able to see it coming, i got into a fighting stance and went with a front kick. i aimed for where an opponents abdomen would be in a sparring match, but because he was leaning forward when it happened i caught him more in the lower chest area. anyway, i didn’t time it right and instead of kicking him with my heel with my leg extended, it was more like him running into it/ smashing my foot into him while my leg was only 3/4 of the way there. it worked effectively enough. he fell to the ground, more like crumpled, with all the air knocked out of him. the force of the impact was really hard though and i ended up falling backwards, more like knocked back by the impact and my leg was sore for a week after that.

Thanks for the input ESCO. Unless you have your momentum going forward into the front kick I can’t see any other outcome but you being knocked to the ground by the sheer force of the oncoming/rushing attacker. Every time you raise that leg you open yourself up to the possibility of being knocked off balance.

I had a situation like that where I was in a fight and the guy was about 3 feet away, we were throwing punches and before I knew it he had crouched down and shot forward into a rush attempt to bowl me over. He had put his shoulder into my midsection, and I was on my way down. Instinctively I had used the momentum to role with it and found myself on top instead of the bottom. Needless to say the fight didn’t last long as my barage of punches landed seemlessly to his face.

My instructor has gone over situations like these a couple of times.

If they are moving towards you and taking a haymaker type swing, they are aiming at a specific distance.
    1st, Chin down, hands up.
    2nd, move towards the attacker forcing him to miss and at the same time, shooting your arms fwd (covering your ears).
    3rd, your hands are now right at the attackers shoulder/neck. Control position etc, etc.

For a running/shooting/charging opponent, we consistenly practice \”defense\” during our drills. That’s where you kick your legs out from under you and push your arms down, landing on your stomach. My other instructor was showing how this works a while back. When the person dives towards you, you redirect them down – right into the control position. He’s so good at defending against this, he purposely sticks his left leg out as bait.

And if you can’t master any techniques to avoid going to the ground, take some ground fighting. Nothing wrong with being well-rounded.

kravronny

If you have the room and the time defensive front-kick is always the best. We practiced this several times with body-shields the attacker holding it over his abdomen/chest area and running at full speed while the defender kicking into the charge.

It works quite well imho.

kravi

I’ve only tried this in training, but a small step to the
    side and a hard kick to the pubick bone seems to work just fine.

It will make your oponent bend over and you have enough time
    for wat ever you want to do next.

prekarious1

quick sidestep at last minute with shin kick directed towards his knees. At the least he falls and gives you time to make a decision

anonymous

We work on defensive front kick sometimes in class. Your partner gets a large kicking shield and walks toward you, first slowly, then faster. That way you can practice your timing and kick as hard as you can. If your weight is in the right place, you should probably be able to remain standing, even if he is coming at full speed. We also use a similar kick against knife attacks.

The idea of someone rushing in at full speed makes me think of a MMA fight I saw years ago. A tall guy fighting a short one. The fight starts, the referee gives the signal to start fighting, first round, both guys start from their respective corners. The tall guy just stands there, motionless and the short one runs as fast as he can, across the octagon. Once he gets close enough, the tall guy extends his arm – it’s not even a punch, he just put his fist there – the short guy has so much speed, he runs right into the fist, his head is pushed backwards, his legs fly up into the air and he slides into the fence. Knockout, end of fight.

That wasn’t the UFC, some other MMA event, but it was one of the stranger fights I’ve seen. It shows that if a guy comes in with great velocity, your punch doesn’t even need to have much on it to knock the guy out. He actually knocks HIMSELF out by running against your fist. Same with a kick.

As for which way to circle, usually toward the jab side is best, but if he rushes you, he may not be in an actual fighting stance, so it’s harder to determine which side to go to. You could probably go either way, or guess that he is right-handed and go toward his left, away from his (presumed) strong side.

clfmak

One other kick I’ve seen used to good effect is the side kick to the midsection. The only problem is that it pust you sideways so it may be putting your dead side towards your opponent. I’ve known people who spar sideways just to throw this kick when someone gets close enough- and it works way better than it sounds for some people. This happens in sanshou sometimes also. From a MMA standpoint, it puts that leg out there as a target for leg kicks, but in my opinion this isn’t super important for self defense (and I’ve seen people go for the leg kick and have it countered with a side kick- especially effective because the receiver is on one leg and spinning in place). The response I would feel most comfortable with, though, is attacking with repeated straight palm strikes under the chin- even done fairly slow, thses strikes will mess up forward momentum. If the chin is tucked and your strikes slide off the head, then they’re probably already all over you. Your hands slide over the head and you clinch for knees, trying to pull the head down so they don’t have good posture for striking. You might have to sprawl.

Re:

quote \”prekarious1\:

quick sidestep at last minute with shin kick directed towards his knees. At the least he falls and gives you time to make a decision

It seems to pull off an effective side step and kick you would have to have perfect timing. If the attacker comes in throwing wild punches (haymakers, crosses, jabs, ect) you may get caught with a wild punch or two. As I am sure as most of you know who have at least trained a similar scenario that your reaction to a barrage of punches is a tendency to blink (a lot and for inexperience people maybe even close your eyes) which of course may lead to you getting KTFO. Any thoughts on that?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: