Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics How to work out with Krav in mind…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    jay99

I am wondering if anyone can help me find a good source for diet plans and workouts that would help me improve my strength and conditioning (flexibility could not hurt either) with the ultimate goal of being the best Krav-arian or Krav-anite I can be. (Forgive me for not knowing how to properly phrase that last part).

I am typically training 4 evenings a week at the NTC – SO and try to mix it up with fitness, self defense and sparring classes (which include Sean’s ever expanding repertoire of creatively named pain!). I also have about 45 minutes or so during the afternoons M-F that I can use to go to the gym. I recently tried to add on a couple of pounds of “good” weight and spent a month or so lifting heavier weights and adding more calories to my diet but I was not happy with the impact it had on my training. I felt much slower and like I had lost some of my stamina. With out this coming off to cheesy …What I would like to find now is more of a “fighter’s” workout and diet. If such a thing exists…

I saw the books available on the Ross Training website and they looked pretty good. Anyone know of any others or have experience using those?

Thanks!

Re: How to work out with Krav in mind…

I can give you a little help with the diet thing.

A HUGE mistake people make is to focus only on what they eat and not how much. Mrs. Hippie has a masters degree in this crap (for those of you who are big on Krav history, she did her research on a Wingate institute thing).

What you want to do is figure out your BMR/RMR to get a rough idea of how many calories a day your body is burning. Remember that this is only a ballpark.

Then do a quick survey of the foods you plan to eat and the portion sizes. The relationship between your calorie intake and your BMR/RMR will determine whether you’re going to gain, lose, or maintain weight.

AFTER you know how many calories you should be shooting for, then take a look at the kinds of foods you’re eating. Make sure you’re not wasting calories on empty crap and that you’re getting sufficient energy to do your workouts.

Remember… Calories are calories… The way the calories will burn is different but if you’re trying to gain weight, you’ll need to add calories, if you’re trying to lose, you need to drop. 3000 calories of protien will cause you to put on just as much weight as 3000 calories of starch.

There are various web sites that will give you the math for the BMR and RMR calculations and there are several useful sites that can give you ballpark estimates of how many calories are in certain foods.

I would give you links and be more helpful but the motherboard on my notebook crashed and I’m on a borrowed machine and don’t have my bookmarks.

craig-p

Hey Jamie you have some of the best people I know of for this stuff training with you evey night in S.O. I sent you a PM with contact info.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

First of let me just say I’m not sure if that’s a compliment or sadistic request. Seeing how you named “Gauntlet from Hell” I shall continue to endeavor to be more creative for you.

As far as the diet Craigs right if you look around at the center just about all of the instructors eat well and are in great shape. Kevin would be a really good person to help you with a plan.

Both Dave G. and I were at about 250 last year hes now under 200 and I’m having problems staying up at 210 where I want to be.

jay99

It was a total compliment my friend. And did I really name the Gauntlet?? I must have been so exhausted I did not know what was coming out of my mouth – lol. Probablly just happy to be able breath!

I am hesitant to ask anybody at the NTC because I am sure it takes a little while to help someone out with that kind of stuff and I did not want to burden anyone, ya know…

rq

Awesome q jay99, I’m curious as to what type of workouts would be good for KM as well – I used to bodybuild years back. I was @ 240lbs 8% bodyfat, now I’m sitting between 190-200 @ 19% bf – haven’t been in the gym in probably 6 years!

Not sure which would be better, Bodybuildings 10-12 reps. powerliftings 2-4 or circuit trainings super high reps would be more helpful for KM? Anyone have an opinion?

Oh yeah … my diet still sucks 😛

blindfold

If you are looking for endurance you should train for endurance. 12-15 reps is more for endurance than for powerlifting. Being able to keep your strength over a long time from with minimal rest is what you want in a survival situation.

As far as opinion on dieting and foods. Avoid high sugars at all costs. Calories may be calories, but some get into your system faaster than others and process to fat quicker. This would be why people eat oatmeal instead of a snickers, for a carb before a workout. The oatmeal is a complex carb(takes longer to process over a longer period of time) and the snickers is a simple carb (it goes into your system withing minutes). Also if you are taking in alot of fats be careful, what kind and how much.

Just a thought and good luck thumbsup

leejam99

if you just come to my Thai pad class and MMA fitness class…that’s all you need 🙂

garddawg

“■ Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds,
    some fruit, little starch and no sugar. Keep
    intake to levels that will support exercise but
    not body fat.

■ Practice and train major lifts: Deadlift, clean,
    squat, presses, C&J, and snatch. Similarly,
    master the basics of gymnastics: pull-ups,
    dips, rope climb, push-ups, sit-ups, presses to
    handstand, pirouettes, flips, splits, and holds.
    Bike, run, swim, row, etc, hard and fast.

■ Five or six days per week mix these elements
    in as many combinations and patterns
    as creativity will allow. Routine is the enemy.
    Keep workouts short and intense.

■ Regularly learn and play new sports.”

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

This should be your signature file

quote garddawg:

“■ Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds,
    some fruit, little starch and no sugar. Keep
    intake to levels that will support exercise but
    not body fat.

■ Practice and train major lifts: Deadlift, clean,
    squat, presses, C&J, and snatch. Similarly,
    master the basics of gymnastics: pull-ups,
    dips, rope climb, push-ups, sit-ups, presses to
    handstand, pirouettes, flips, splits, and holds.
    Bike, run, swim, row, etc, hard and fast.

■ Five or six days per week mix these elements
    in as many combinations and patterns
    as creativity will allow. Routine is the enemy.
    Keep workouts short and intense.

■ Regularly learn and play new sports.”

jay99

quote leejam99:

if you just come to my Thai pad class and MMA fitness class…that’s all you need 🙂

Thank you for putting together such a detailed program for me, James. I can feel my life changing for the better already – lol . I only missed class because I was sick last week. I shall return this week to resume my training, Master Yoda… I promise!

la-revancha

quote Jay99:

I also have about 45 minutes or so during the afternoons M-F that I can use to go to the gym. Thanks!

Here is the yoga DVD I’ve been doing for nearly 4 years now:
    http://www.amazon.com/Bryan-Kest-Power-Complete-Collection/dp/B0001WTWYC

TREMENDOUS benefits in terms of alleviating back pain, increasing flexibility, isometric stamina, and most importantly, breathing in uncomfortable positions.

Its what I do on my day’s off or when life gets to crazy too get in to train. Its portable and allows you to train without the ridicule of your peers for doing yoga. And yes, the dude is fruity as hell, but if you can ignore that, the workout is good.

And no KM supplemental workout is complete without this:

http://www.basrutten.tv/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=B&Product_Code=WCDVD&Category_Code=DV

Would have never achieved a KM black belt without it.

Both of these, aside from crossfit, are workouts that can fit into 45 minutes.

jburtonpdx

quote La Revancha:

“If you are not tired you can do some sit ups. Keep moving. We are starting in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1… 4 etc…”

When it gets quiet, I can hear Bas in the background….

Its great (read:painful) to do from the ground. Have your training partner in the mount with focus mits.

johnl-d11

quote La Revancha:

Here is the yoga DVD I’ve been doing for nearly 4 years now:
    http://www.amazon.com/Bryan-Kest-Power-Complete-Collection/dp/B0001WTWYC

TREMENDOUS benefits in terms of alleviating back pain, increasing flexibility, isometric stamina, and most importantly, breathing in uncomfortable positions.

I’ve been thinking of doing those power yoga DVD’s, just gotta find the time

jay99

Does that power yoga DVD work if you have never really done yoga?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: