Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Increasing Flexibilty

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    kmman

Aside from good old fashioned stretching, are there any supplements that may help flexibility?

peterako

Re: Increasing Flexibilty

In class we do kicks which work well for stretching.

The first is where you bring your rear leg straight up in front of you, keeping your leg as straight as possible. The other is a crescent kick.

Hope that gives you a different perspective, though I’m not sure if anything is really better than just stretching it out.

mara-jade

I’ve heard a few of my instructors say Yoga is excellent for increasing flexibility.

kmman

Anything on the vitamin/mineral end like Chondroitin type products (which I think is for joints).

tech94

there are no magic pills for flexibility. im a registered nurse and i can tell you that most supplements are either completely useless and a waste of money while some are actually very dangerous and do far more harm than good. ephedra is 1 that killed far too many before it was banned. the supplements dont have nearly enough concentration to be effective in some cases as well. i have taken care of about 3 or 4 people in ICU that have suffered liver and/or kidney damage as a result of some herbal supplements as well

I’d be curious to hear strategies and techniques to increase flexibility…

The instructor in our group introduced ‘PNF’ stretching to the training sessions – we do a version of the flex-hold one from time to time:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PNF_stretching

On another note: I thought glucosamine & chondroitin are supplements which are alleged to increase cartilage in human joints (?)

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/chondroitin-sulfate/NS_patient-chondroitin

Chondroitin was first extracted and purified in the 1960s. It is currently manufactured from natural sources (shark/beef cartilage or bovine trachea) or by synthetic means. The consensus of expert and industry opinions supports the use of chondroitin and its common partner agent, glucosamine, for improving symptoms and stopping (or possibly reversing) the degenerative process of osteoarthritis

Osteoarthritis

Multiple controlled clinical trials since the 1980s have examined the use of oral chondroitin in patients with osteoarthritis of the knee and other locations (spine, hips, finger joints). Most of these studies have reported significant benefits in terms of symptoms (such as pain), function (such as mobility), and reduced medication requirements (such as anti-inflammatories). However, most studies have been brief (six month duration) with methodological weaknesses. Despite these weaknesses and potential for bias in the available results, the weight of scientific evidence points to a beneficial effect when chondroitin is used for 6-24 months. Longer-term effects are not clear. Early studies of chondroitin applied to the skin have also been conducted. Chondroitin is frequently used with glucosamine. Glucosamine has independently been demonstrated to benefit patients with osteoarthritis (particularly of the knee). It remains unclear if there is added benefit of using these two agents together compared to using either alone.

kirsten

I loves me my ephedrine! Been taking it for 10 years and never had a problem. My friends doctor even takes it, but its banned now because like everything- people can use it improperly and die. I also take joint supp’s like a glucosamine with chondroitin when I am running and they start to ache. I even gave the joint supp’s to my aging dog and I saw first hand the quality of her life improve.

But back to the original topic- Do the majority of your stretching AFTER class when you are warmed up, joints are loose and the blood is flowing. The pre-class stretching is more to prevent injury than to make gains in flexibility. Use a partner to help you stretch or a jumprope or old martial arts belt. This will help you deepen your stretch. Hold the stretch and breath through it.

la-revancha

Started using it in 03. Just did #2 tone yesterday.

I have recommended this series a number of times for a couple of years now. If you can get over the guy’s fruitiness, it is an exceptional isometric workout and a stretch.

Not only has it improved flexibility, it has alleviated tight muscles/fascia associated with back pain and such. I start to feel back pain if I stop doing yoga.

happyloaf

Anyone else use power yoga? If so does it really work?

Haven’t used Power Yoga but can vouch for the usefullness and effectiveness of Dallas Page’s YRG (Yoga for Regular Guys).

It combines iso-metrics and iso-kenetics with a yoga workout. He developed it while in his mid-40s to keep him going in his pro-wrestling career.

I used it a lot when I first started training in Krav to help me recover from my Krav workouts and increase my flexibility.

Google “Yoga for Regular Guys” if you want more info. He has some pretty incredible testimonials.

CCB

spartankrav

I took La Rev’s rec and mixed in Power Yoga. I can vouche for its effectiveness. I will also concur that the guy on the DVD is a bit of freak. But seriously – it is great. Also check out some of the Rodney Yee DVDs from Gaiam.

kirsten

I tried yoga, but for the life of me I just can’t seem to get into it…

bradm

I have arthritis in both hips and shoulders. I’ve also been using glucosimine with chondrotin for a couple years now and found that it helps. There is a new product coming out called triclosimine (sp.) that is suppose to be a lot better than glucosimine. I’ve been waiting for it to be stocked in the local pharmacies. I’m anxious to give it a try. Anything to prolong hip replacement.

tech94

bahkram yoga is great! i suffered back pain for 15yrs especially since i’ve laways been very active and when i was a paramedic i was always bending in awkward positions. my back has never felt better.

kvmorl

Good topic… After year in Krav my horrible flexibility hasn’t improved much. Gonna give Power Yoga a try.

Tried a Yoga class in a local gym once, felt like a gorilla in there all women and only guy, plus the only person can’t even reach toes standing in there, they all though it was funny as hell and trying to help… not doing that again, anyways marriage wouldn’t last very long if i kept going.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: