Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Is it normal during an introductory class to just about give up?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

I have taken two classes and now I am level 1.

During the first class, I felt so winded during situations that I didn’t even think that I would feel that way that I was just about to walk off and say it wasn’t for me.

During the second class, I was probably like only 1% beyond that feeling.

My boss is former army and I asked him how he would prepare going into this before I even started the class.

I think his advice was extremely wise. He said that I will learn that my body is stronger than my mind. The mind will tell you to stop, but your body can actually take you further.

I remembered this when I hit the mat and didn’t want to get back up. I thought of my son and was somehow able to get up.

During the next class, I can’t exactly remember what it was that made me feel as if though I couldn’t get back up, but there was certainly something.

(I have horrible memory).

So is this normal?

Thanks!

mara-jade

Re: Is it normal during an introductory class to just about give up?

Welcome to the forum (don’t remember seeing your id before)

OMG – that feeling IS SO normal (at least to me) it’s not funny. Hubby and I taking our first Cardio class as an example, like every 10 minutes we were stopping and going “WTF are we doing here?”. Our first KM classes – yeah, same thing.

IT WILL get easier if you put the time you need to work things through. Don’t worry about everyone else if they’re more advanced than you. EVERYONE was a newbie once.

Please feel free to post if you’ve got other concerns – best wishes on your training:wav:

For Hubby and I – after being at our center over 5 years now, we’ve never regretted our decisionthumbsup

quote mara_jade:

Welcome to the forum (don’t remember seeing your id before)

OMG – that feeling IS SO normal (at least to me) it’s not funny. Hubby and I taking our first Cardio class as an example, like every 10 minutes we were stopping and going “WTF are we doing here?”. Our first KM classes – yeah, same thing.

IT WILL get easier if you put the time you need to work things through. Don’t worry about everyone else if they’re more advanced than you. EVERYONE was a newbie once.

Please feel free to post if you’ve got other concerns – best wishes on your training:wav:

For Hubby and I – after being at our center over 5 years now, we’ve never regretted our decisionthumbsup

Very clear! Thanks, I wasn’t too concerned because I know that I get winded easier than others in general. I just wanted to make sure haha!

coda-vex

That’s ok bro. Several years ago I took my first class and just about hurled on the mat. Had to go into the bathroom and purge.

KNow your limits but don’t give up.

ohiobuckeye

Hey I think you’re the same person that I recommended on another forum to look into Krav Maga. Is that correct?

Well anyhow I’ve started recently as well and I went in thinking I was in good shape. At this point I leave every class drenched in sweat and pretty much tapped out of energy and strength.

That’s one of the instructor’s goals. Making sure you get a great workout combined with your techniques.

I do suggest combinging aerobic and anarobic training to supplement your Krav Maga. Doing intervals on a bike/elliptical will surely help you make it through class much easier.

To specifically answer your question in most of my classes there is at least one person that doesn’t complete all exercises/workouts and it appears to be conditioning or in some cases pain.

OB

mara-jade

quote Coda Vex:

That’s ok bro. Several years ago I took my first class and just about hurled on the mat. Had to go into the bathroom and purge.

So far that hasn’t happened to us yet<KNOCK WOOD>. I’m not saying it wasn’t close a few a few times thoughrofl2

unstpabl1

The thing I admire about krav is the Toughness training. Toughness is mental, physical and emotional. James Loehr defines toughness as strength, flexibility, responsiveness and resiliency….learning to hurt someone is easy. I poke your eye, bite your ear, punch your throat, etc…but pushing yourself through traing like this, that developes indomitable spirit….its unbeatable…I envy you, stay strong…you’ll grow in ways you can’t imagine, all for the price of a little vomit once in a while:OhMy:

aviatordave

If you haven’t been working out regularly, it’s perfectly normal. If it’s just fatigue, just keep pushing through it. Yeah, when you get tired, you’ll get slower. Just push as hard as you can. Your technique will get sloppy. Do the best you can. You’ll be surprised at how quickly the body can adapt and improve. Your endurance will improve much faster than visible changes in body composition. Just don’t push through a real injury. Several years ago I kept pushing through painful weightlifting workouts with an undiagnosed rotator cuff impingement. I finally got it checked out when I couldn’t pick up my 15lb newborn daughter, or lift a gallon of milk out of the fridge without pain. The result? 6 months before I could do day to day stuff, and 6 more months before I could load it fully again.

The key is that you stick with it long enough that you start feeling results. If you keep going regularly, I bet in 3-4 weeks time the feelings of wanting to quit will be long gone.

But you CAN do it. Just make youself.

Lol – the ID..

The vid sure brings back memories – Alexis Sayle ‘Didn’t You Kill My Brother?’:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KXlBeziPJ4

As for the question – yes, its pretty normal to feel that way at first if one is not reasonably fit. I know with myself, there were times I thought I might not survive and / or heave on the spot…. doing some extra physical fitness training (jogging, running, walking, weights etc) during the week in addition to KM really helps a lot in surviving the classes IMO..

kmman

Perfectly normal. If you’ve been inactive thats going to happen. I couldnt make it through my first class. Its important to go at your own pace. You’ll see a huge difference in 4 or 5 classes assuming you take them regularly.

You should look at it as a “wake up” call and another reason you NEED to be training.

Also, you’ll learn how to pace yourself as you learn your body. Its eay to burn yourself out on one of the first drills. I find it very helpful to stay FOCUSED ON MY BREATHING. Anytime I have the pads, or a break or the instructor is speaking I’m 100% focus on my breathing…same when stretching.

Breathing – yes, that is a big lesson (!)..

I had to learn to be aware of that early on – its very easy to forget to breathe in the middle of stress drills especially…

paul

it will get better and soon you will be adding another class and wondering why in the heck do you keep doing that to yoursel!

ali-s

It’s perfectly normal. And after a while, you really do acclimate – and then you want to push yourself even HARDER. Or maybe it’s just me that actually enjoys being sore? 🙂

quote Coda Vex:

Thanks!

quote OhioBuckeye:

Hey I think you’re the same person that I recommended on another forum to look into Krav Maga. Is that correct?

Well anyhow I’ve started recently as well and I went in thinking I was in good shape. At this point I leave every class drenched in sweat and pretty much tapped out of energy and strength.

That’s one of the instructor’s goals. Making sure you get a great workout combined with your techniques.

I do suggest combinging aerobic and anarobic training to supplement your Krav Maga. Doing intervals on a bike/elliptical will surely help you make it through class much easier.

To specifically answer your question in most of my classes there is at least one person that doesn’t complete all exercises/workouts and it appears to be conditioning or in some cases pain.

OB

Thanks for the info!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: