Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Is it taboo to wear shorts to Krav classes??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    usnavy-233

Just wondering if there is some quirk I don’t know about here. I was talking with my instructor tonight while warming up and I had mentioned that I was thinking of cutting some of my sweats into shorts because I get so hot while working out. He mentioned that there was \”something about Krav Maga wear they don’t like shorts\” or something to that affect. He couldn’t recall exactly but he alluded to the fact that shorts were taboo in Krav Maga. Anyone care to add their insight to this? Thanks much.

-Walt

Never, ever heard of that. Some instructors at my place wear shorts, others wear workout pants.

garddawg

Ask your instructors. We are in SoCal. Hardly ever wear anything but shorts.

clfmak

Just make sure you don’t wear short baggy shorts if you’re doing high kicks or diong sit ups with a partner. 😀

sunnysd

Or come to class dressed like the Klitschko brothers… 😯

g-v

I’m against shorts in class. The matt gets alot less sweaty when everyone’s wearing pants. Also, it’s good when your partner wears pants over the shin guards when we use them, so you don’t get all scratched up by them.

ffdo

I have seen shorts but the thought of matt burns all over my knees has stopped me from ever trying it. Ground work would be far less fun.

JC

usnavy-233

Some very interesting and practical points to the \”shorts\” thought. I guess either way I’ll just suck it up and get some light work-out pants instead of sweat pants. The \”sweat\” pants are really starting to live up to there name! Thanks guys.

dkst

I own 3 Krav Maga shorts, symbol and all. I’ve worn the pants, but I get way to hot. If shorts weren’t allowed, they wouldn’t manufacture KM shorts.

rta

Re:

quote \”dkst\:

I own 3 Krav Maga shorts, symbol and all. I’ve worn the pants, but I get way to hot. If shorts weren’t allowed, they wouldn’t manufacture KM shorts.

Ummmm they manufacture hats and keychains, but I wouldn’t wear them to class either. Personally, I prefer my partner to be wearing pants and always wear pants myself, but I know of no rule. I always wonder if the people who don’t wear pants are aware of the different bacterias they might pick up off the floor. Hairy, sweaty legs are just gross to grapple with, but sweaty, smelly feet would be worse.

dkst

You could always wear a hat to class if you wanted, talk about being hot. Each to his own, grappling class, I wear pants, but it reminds me why I don’t wear them for anyother class. If I were worried about germs, I wouldn’t be involved with KM. Have you had to bear hug a guy after 55 minutes of class, are you worried about your forearm against a sweating neck, there are a thousand places during class that I would be more concerned with then the floor.

Like I said, each to his own. I do agree with you, there is no rule. How ever, if I were to show up in cut off shorts to class, I might be told to get a better pair. I think it is a respect thing. Plus, we have to wear KM gear for upper level classes, once again, a respect thing. I think it comes from other MA’s.

triple-b

Never hear of that. We had a lot of guys wear shorts to class in the summer. Though I would put a ban on wearing sleeveless shirts, exspecialy then we are grappling.

usnavy-233

\”How ever, if I were to show up in cut off shorts to class, I might be told to get a better pair. I think it is a respect thing. Plus, we have to wear KM gear for upper level classes, once again, a respect thing.\”

I guess I should have elborated on that. I have sweat pants that I’ll be \”cutting down\” to make into long shorts. But I will hem them back up. It’s not like I would cut a pair of jeans and then go strolling in with all the fray hanging everywhere. I agree with you, it would be a matter of respect. At any rate, I think I’m just going to order some Krav gear. I’ve been wanting a couple t-shirts so I might as well spring for the pants also. Does anyone know the best place to get Krav gear at a good price? I’m in NOVA and the price of a pair opf Krav pants here is $40. I can’t justify $40 for a pair of pants that I’m going to roll around, kick around and sweat in. I know they’ll be getting beat up, so I’d rather not shell out quite so much on them. Yeah, I know. I’m cheap!! With a wife and two kids I have to be! 😉

Thanks for all the feedback everybody.

-Walt

jl

Walt

Revgear is where some get their KM stuff. I can’t remember what I paid but it wasn’t $40 bones. One thing you’ll like is they are real light and dry out fast. As for shorts….if KM makes em and no rule says different, I see no reason not to wear them unless your instructor has a problem with it for their own reasons. Never have I seen anyone come in shorts. However, I do wear sleeveless KM shirts. I am a sweater like some of you and it just keeps my temp. down when working out. My instructor also sometimes goes to his sleeveless gear so I think I’m OK.

kravmdjeff

Let me put my two cents this way…I think certain people should perhaps not wear shorts. For most people it’s okay, but certain people it’s not.

Need I explicate?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: