Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    raneman

This is really quite a strange thing but maybe someone can explain this. I was speaking with one of the delivery guys here at work and he is an aspiring Mixed Martial Artist and I was telling him about the cool seminar we had about chokes. We were in a discussion about kicking someone in the groin from behind like when you throw the attacker into the wall after a choke esacape. He told me it would be better to kick them in the rear end to get to the tailbone. I had to laugh because one of the comments our instructor in the seminar made was “why is everyone obsessed with kicking people in the butt”. I am definately sticking to what I was taught but was wondering..why would you kick them in the butt?

Might be a stupid question but maybe there is a reason other than humiliation. 🙂

Re: Kick to the butt..huh?

Ok, I’ll try answer this one. Well first of all what if your attacker is a woman, not a man, secondly what if he’s had his testes removed for whatever reason and/or he’s wearing a cup (yes, VERY unlikely I know, so I’ll move on to my next point)

The real reason though is that a kick to the tailbone hurts like CRAZY. It completely immobilizes the person for hours. You cannot move your legs, breathing hurts, everything hurts. Trust me, I’ve been there! You can easily break the tailbone because it’s not very thick, and the only “danger” is that you could damage his spinal chord and he could be permanently paralyzed, so this isn’t a move to take lightly, in my opinion.

As for it’s stopping power, I think that a kick to the tailbone well executed is at LEAST as immobilizing as a kick to the groin from behind, especially as from behind your accuracy for the groin is rather worse I think. A kick to the tailbone can immobilize somebody for as long as a couple of days!

emil

In order to really get the coccyx, you would literally have to put your foot in someone’s ass. You would need 3 things: time and desire to shove your foot in that area, and a hard narrow nosed boot-cowboy boot and a large crack. Given that you’re already in an advantageous position(behind the person) you have many other, easier to execute options like shoving the person in to the wall, kicking the back of their knees, pushing them to the ground, or kicking between the legs. I have a problem with targeting specific anatomical areas-you’re adrenalized, trying to defend your life and should be looking for exits not tiny bones in someones behind. But I guess if you’re really trying to be an “ass hole” you could kick someone there…

Emil, I don’t mean to contradict you but I disagree. In order to kick their coccyx you just need to hit with the point of your foot at the base of their spine, at the top of their crack. It is really not difficult to hit and at worst you’ll hit their lower back (also should be very painful and will knock them down) or you might kick their groin still…

raneman

Thanks for the explanation Liquid and it does make sense that it could be a potential target but just seems like too much “thinking” considering the situation. There just seems to be too much “padding” in that area to make it viable in most cases.

emil

yes, not difficult if the opponent is not moving, is bent over, you get the angle just right etc. it’s one thing to train these hypothetical “deadly” pressure points in a dojo, it’s something different to worry about when someone just tried to choke the hell out of you and you have tunnel vision, your heart rate is increased two-fold and you can think straight. do people injure that area? -all the time, by falling on it or may be even by accidental kick in a soccer match. however in a given context-defending your life-I would be hesitant to recommend targeting a small area hidden behind a layer of connective tissue and fat and protected on almost all sides by two pelvic bones.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

You know hat was my first reaction when I initially read the post, yeah theres a great pressure point there that would do serious damage but not sure if I was wearing tennis shoes how well I’d be able to actually hit it during a fight.

I think from that position the groin might be a much easier and more preferred target.

giant-killer

Hmmm, so from which angle exactly would you have to hit it? From underneath? If you miss the right spot, will it still hurt, or likely not do anything? How about a punch to that area, would that do anything?

badge54

It is the center of balance isn’t it? Well somewhere in the hips. Attacking the base will knock them off base.

The Perinium, Coccyx would be bonus points. Round kicks to the buttocks would not be effective, Push kicks for balance displacement.

Badge54

vwr32

GlobalSecurity.org shows a defense using the tailbone as an attack while on the ground, but the strike is delivered by the knee. Wouldn’t it have to be a straight on force to just above the butt crack, below the small of the back? I can’t see doing this from a standing position with the foot.. maybe with a round knee strike tho. If I’ve just put this guy against a wall and I’m going to use the foot, it’ll be a groin strike I think.

blindfold

I think a knee to the lower back would be effective. This is working on being in a position to do this. If by some odd chance you had a back shot with a knee, hey why not aim lower and try to snap them in half. Always keep your options open.

bradm

Not to argue for or against either point. Just a thought. If you’ve slammed the guy face forward against a wall and his legs are spread apart, then a kick to the groin could work. But what if the guy is face forward against the wall and his legs are not seperated? He could be standing with legs close together or maybe one leg more in front on the other. I don’t think a groin kick would get through to its target in this case. Perhaps a kick to the lower back would work better, or a knee as someone mentioned.

quote BradM:

Not to argue for or against either point. Just a thought. If you’ve slammed the guy face forward against a wall and his legs are spread apart, then a kick to the groin could work. But what if the guy is face forward against the wall and his legs are not seperated? He could be standing with legs close together or maybe one leg more in front on the other. I don’t think a groin kick would get through to its target in this case. Perhaps a kick to the lower back would work better, or a knee as someone mentioned.

Hell… If his back is turned and he’s face first against the wall, why not go ahead and use the wall to do some damage too by kicking him in the back of the head? Getting your face bounced off a brick wall is never any fun.

leejam99

i’ve had my tailbone almost break from falling on my butt off a jump snowboarding……it HURTS!! it feels like you have the biggest turtle inside your butt ripping your you know what trying to get out….and that feeling spreads through out the body.

now with that said, i’m not sure if you can duplicate that with a kick. It would have to be a pretty hard kick with a steel toe boots in the right place..or a hard knee i guess… but i would still do a groan kick if i had the choice.

vwr32

quote leejam99:

it feels like you have the biggest turtle inside your butt ripping your you know what trying to get out

That’s quite a comparison… maybe we should lock the drunk stories thread before we find out how u came to this analogy lol.

Agreed tho, striking that area would be pretty difficult. Some of the things contributing to deciding what strike is used might also be distance to the attacker. Being closer to him might yield a weaker (if not impossible) groin strike, so going straight for a forward knee to the lower back might be the best option. A strong front kick to the small of the back might not specifically hit the tailbone (especially if the strike surface of the shoe distributes the force of the blow along the bottom of the shoe), but would send the attacker back into the wall like downforlife was talking about. A perfectly placed heel would be painful too… but it still seems like an awful small target which will be constantly moving.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: