Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Knowledge Transfer to family?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

My wife and son are eager to learn what I have been learning in class.

However, they are unable to attend the classes due to geographic location and time. I travel very far to get to work and luckily there are Krav classes here..but there are none down there.

There are other reasons why they won’t be able to attend a class.

This is not have them “pull themselves up by their bootstraps type of situation” either.

Money is not the issue either.

I asked this question on a martial arts forum when I was taking Hapkido and I was given some legitimate reasoning as to why I might not want to transfer knowledge e.g. incorrect technique being taught and teaching them bad habits.

I strongly disagreed, but agreed to disagree.

Do you think I could transfer knowledge. I am not a pro yet, but I am developing good habits not bad ones.

Any thoughts?

Thank you for your time!

kmman

Re: Knowledge Transfer to family?

There is nothing that can replace a quality instructor. I would be concerned about safety etc.

This is just my opinion, but you can try http://www.kravmagabootcamp.com which is real good online stuff. It cant replace a live instructor but it does confirm much of whats being taught in your class.

Just my 2c.

kmman

Let me add that theres just no way you can replace a live instructors corrections to your mistakes, the intensity, the extra push you need with online stuff.

Another thing you can do is by the Complete Krav Maga book and use as a reference.

quote KMMAN:

Let me add that theres just no way you can replace a live instructors corrections to your mistakes, the intensity, the extra push you need with online stuff.

Another thing you can do is by the Complete Krav Maga book and use as a reference.

Thank you for your thoughts.

I would have to say that 90% of my class comes down to us correcting one another. If it is ok then, then why not with my wife?

I would certainly know how to correct my wife no?

I am not trying to be something that I am not though, and not trying to argue.

I still don’t get this angle. It is quite common. If you are right, then I would like to understand why.

I still feel that my wife would be better off than with no training at all.

Please continue.

kmman

I do not think we are disagreeing.

While you are saying she will learn something, I am saying she will not learn as much.

We are both saying she can and will learn. It just will not be the same.

You teaching her what you learned last night might be OK, but your instructor knows the long term reason WHY he taught it…what that move ultimately leads to etc. Youre getting the building blocks and you might not know, just yet, the “why”.

I do try to teach my sons some things, and they learn but, lets face it, if I say do 50 pushups they might dog it…if an instructor said it, they’d bust their butts.

Try Ron Nakash’s site. You may find it interesting. I do not know the cost.

ryan

Just as something to consider, it is possible the 90% of the time you are correcting each other, you are doing so incorrectly and/or focusing on something the instructor does not deem important or worthy of emphasis. This also begs the question of what about the other 10%?

I’m not saying you should or shouldn’t teach your family, just offering another view.

quote KMMAN:

I do not think we are disagreeing.

While you are saying she will learn something, I am saying she will not learn as much.

We are both saying she can and will learn. It just will not be the same.

You teaching her what you learned last night might be OK, but your instructor knows the long term reason WHY he taught it…what that move ultimately leads to etc. Youre getting the building blocks and you might not know, just yet, the “why”.

I do try to teach my sons some things, and they learn but, lets face it, if I say do 50 pushups they might dog it…if an instructor said it, they’d bust their butts.

Try Ron Nakash’s site. You may find it interesting. I do not know the cost.

Priceless!!

Especially the part about dogging it! Maybe I will learn the WHY later though, and by that time she will already know the moves?

Points well taken on the why!

quote Ryan:

Just as something to consider, it is possible the 90% of the time you are correcting each other, you are doing so incorrectly and/or focusing on something the instructor does not deem important or worthy of emphasis. This also begs the question of what about the other 10%?

I’m not saying you should or shouldn’t teach your family, just offering another view.

Also priceless to ponder, perhaps I need to be more analytical? In being so, I would say that our class is pretty uniform e.g. I am being corrected by others on something the class already knows the instructor will catch them on.

Hmmm….still there are probably deeper reasons. Could be that we are just being trained to go at it “RAW” to build stamina.

unstpabl1

Krav is not brain surgery or complicated. It’s basic and fundamental. Hapkido is much more technical. FMA’s or silat much more sophisticated.

i don’t see why you can’t teach your wife what you’ve learned or by the book. Your at level one…you learn more by teaching, because it forces you to pay attention…just pay attention to the form of the tech..go slow…slow is smooth…smooth is fast…most beginners go too fast or too much power

I’m not sure about teaching the wife and kid though. The wife trains and gets better than you…kicks your azz during your next fight..the kid grows up, you try to ground him, he kicks your azz…you’ve lost control of your house all because of krav….just saying

Ryans’ right, pay attention…shut up and trainthumbsup

quote unstpabl1:

Krav is not brain surgery or complicated. It’s basic and fundamental. Hapkido is much more technical. FMA’s or silat much more sophisticated.

i don’t see why you can’t teach your wife what you’ve learned or by the book. Your at level one…you learn more by teaching, because it forces you to pay attention…just pay attention to the form of the tech..go slow…slow is smooth…smooth is fast…most beginners go too fast or too much power

I’m not sure about teaching the wife and kid though. The wife trains and gets better than you…kicks your azz during your next fight..the kid grows up, you try to ground him, he kicks your azz…you’ve lost control of your house all because of krav….just saying

Good stuff…funny!!!

kmman

quote unstpabl1:

Excellent point on slowing up….This weekend I had a class and it was me and a few younger kids and a few “older” women. I could not go full speed or full power but I really got a lot out of it because I was slowing up and working 100% on mechanics. I felt that helped me a lot.

bradm

I see no problem with showing your wife or anyone else what you have learned. Note the operative word is “show”. Since you have not been to and passed an instructor course, I don’t believe you (me or anyone else) is qualified to “teach” in that sense. However, I see nothing wrong with getting together with family or friends for a workout and show them what you have been taught. But always throw a disclaimer in that you are NOT a certrified instructor and since you are a student, your technique may not be profected yet.

I live in an active adult community and we have two great fitness centers. A couple years ago I met one of the residents that has studied Haganah. I told him I studied Krav Maga and we decided to get toghter in the fitness center when no other classes were scheduled to work out and practice/show the techniques we knew. People would see us training and ask what we were doing. When we told them, some of them asked if they could join, that they would like to learn some self defense stuff. I said sure – but understand that I am not a certified instructor but I will be glad to “show” what I know. I also told them not to get a false sense of confidence and think that they can go out on the street and successfully defend them selves after a couple weeks of training with me. At times there were 8/9 people training with us. I always told them all the same thing. I also referred them to the Krav web site if they wanted to know more abut the system and told them to check out one of the local schools teaching Krav if they were really interested in learning correct technique from a certified instructor. Anyway, my training partner moved and I no longer work out or “show” Krav at the fitness center.

But in the end – I agree, nothing beats training with a qualified and certifed instructor.

kmman

I think everyone is agreeing here.

I had this issue with JKD since there were no real good instructors locally. In the end, I was able to cross train and train this form of JKD distantly. I think the key if you are is to train fewer techniques and use tons of reps.

As Bruce Lee once said “I’d rather fighter someone who has trained 10,000 kicks one time then someone who has trained one kick 10,000 times”. I think thats the quote, Im pretty accurate anyway.

A big THANKS here! Points well read and taken.

We need a thanks button eh?

lampley1

the school i take krav at i thought was teaching us wrong so i reviewed the video’s of mr levine and we are being taught wrong the bear hug was taught way wrong but this school is liencenced with krav maga world wide and they only have 1 instructor whom i have never seen some one help i am paying alot of money for 5 people

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: