Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Knowledge Transfer to family?

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    ryan

Re: Knowledge Transfer to family?

Not sure what you hope to accomplish here. Send an email to [email protected].

devilnuts

I am currently working towards my Instructor Qualification in MCMAP (Marine Corps Martial Arts Program). Here are my thoughts on the subject:

It is entirely possible to teach what you know, as long as you know how to teach it. Knowing techniques and being proficient in their execution is NOT the same as being able to instruct. It is one thing to do what your instructors say, and another to 1) understand why you are doing it that way, and 2) be able to effectively communicate this information to your students.

You don’t have to be a master to be a teacher, but you do have to be a teacher to teach correctly. If you don’t know the entire mechanics behind the material and have controls in place to keep it safe, you should not be instructing. This is why certification is important.

There is also the matter of liability, but that is an entirely new ball of wax. I have no problems teaching my wife how to get out of a choke hold, but no way in hell would I try teaching the neighbor’s kids. If something goes wrong, it’s your a**.

My $.02

unstpabl1

quote DevilNuts:

. I have no problems teaching my wife how to get out of a choke hold, but no way in hell would I try teaching the neighbor’s kids. If something goes wrong, it’s your a**.

My $.02

I’m sure Phil Hartman trusted his wife too:dunno: just saying:chair:domestic bliss and all

devilnuts

I had to google Phil Hartman.

I actually had a girlfriend long time ago whom I tried to teach the rear naked choke to (back then I knew it as the sleeper hold). Well I forgot to tell her what it means when I tap, and I awoke twitching on the floor and she was terrified that she just maimed me.

unstpabl1

quote DevilNuts:

I actually had a girlfriend long time ago whom I tried to teach the rear naked choke to (back then I knew it as the sleeper hold). Well I forgot to tell her what it means when I tap, and I awoke twitching on the floor and she was terrified that she just maimed me.

And people here think I’m an alarmist…just because I’m parnoid doesn’t mean everyone isn’t out to get me:woohoo::woohoo:

I showed some basic combatives and wrist grab releases to my kid & we ‘train’ them occasionally – they think its fun… very casual & obviously nothing like ‘official’ KM training.. I don’t see the harm in showing basic stuff within reasonable limits to family members or friends – who knows, maybe the KM bug will bite them..

Wiki

Meme
    A meme (pronounced /ˈmiːm/, rhyming with “cream”[1]) is a postulated unit or element of cultural ideas, symbols or practices, and is transmitted from one mind to another through speech, gestures, rituals, or other imitable phenomena. (The etymology of the term relates to the Greek word
    mimema for “something imitated”.)[2] Supporters of the concept regard memes as cultural analogues to genes, in that they self-replicate and respond to selective pressures.[3] Memeticists have not empirically proven the existence of discrete memes or their proposed mechanism, and memes (as distinct from ideas or cultural phenomena) do not form part of the consensus of mainstream social sciences.
    Transmission

Life-forms can transmit information vertically (from generation to generation) via replication of genes or horizontally through viruses and transposons. Memes can replicate vertically or horizontally within a single biological generation. They may also lie dormant for long periods of time. Memes spread by the behaviors that they generate in their hosts. Imitation counts as an important characteristic in the propagation of memes. Imitation often involves the copying of an observed behaviour of another individual, but memes may transmit from one individual to another through a copy recorded in an inanimate source, such as a book or a musical score. Researchers have observed memetic copying in just a few species on Earth, including hominids, dolphins and birds (which learn how to sing by imitating their parents or neighbors).[9]
    Some commentators have likened the transmission of memes to the spread of contagions.[10] Social contagions such as fads, hysterias and copycat suicides[9] exemplify memes seen as the contagious imitation of ideas. Observers distinguish the contagious imitation of memes from instinctively contagious phenomenon such as yawning and laughing, which they consider innate (rather than socially learned) behaviors.
    Aaron Lynch described seven general patterns of meme transmission, or “thought contagion”:[11]

1. Quantity of parenthood: an idea which influences the number of children one has. Children respond particularly receptively to the ideas of their parents, and thus ideas which directly or indirectly encourage a higher birthrate will replicate themselves at a higher rate than those that discourage higher birthrates.
    2. Efficiency of parenthood: an idea which increases the proportion of children who will adopt ideas of their parents. Cultural separatism exemplifies one practice in which one can expect a higher rate of meme-replication — because the meme for separation creates a barrier from exposure to competing ideas.
    3. Proselytic: ideas generally passed to others beyond one’s own children. Ideas that encourage the proselytism of a meme, as seen in many religious or political movements, can replicate memes horizontally through a given generation, spreading more rapidly than parent-to-child meme-transmissions do.
    4. Preservational: ideas which influence those that hold them to continue to hold them for a long time. Ideas which encourage longevity in their hosts, or leave their hosts particularly resistant to abandoning or replacing these ideas, enhance the preservability of memes and afford protection from the competition or proselytism of other memes.
    5. Adversative: ideas which influence those that hold them to attack or sabotage competing ideas and/or those that hold them. Adversative replication can give an advantage in meme transmission when the meme itself encourages aggression against other memes.
    6. Cognitive: ideas perceived as cogent by most in the population who encounter them. Cognitively transmitted memes depend heavily on a cluster of other ideas and cognitive traits already widely held in the population, and thus usually spread more passively than other forms of meme transmission. Memes spread in cognitive transmission do not count as self-replicating.
    7. Motivational: ideas that people adopt because they perceive some self-interest in adopting them. Strictly speaking, motivationally transmitted memes do not self-propagate, but this mode of transmission often occurs in association with memes self-replicated in the efficiency parental, proselytic and preservational modes.
    coda-vex

quote DevilNuts:

Holy crap! Funny and scary at the same time! Reminds me of a gun disarm I was showing my girlfriend years ago that I was shown when I was an MP in the army. The technique involved a head/body bob while grabbing the barrel and jamming the pistol into the attacker’s face. Kind of a dangerous and not so effective defense unless your not really planning on shooting said girl friend and end up with a torn cheek from the bb guns rear sights.

Ahhh youth!

kirsten

My friend used to randomly attack his girlfriend around the house in an effort to get her to take classes with him… One day he attacked… she attacked back like all girls do and nailed him in the “pills”… He left her alone after that.

Its funny how many of you guys try to do this to your significant others and all seem to end up with the same result. LOL

unstpabl1

quote Kirsten:

My friend used to randomly attack his girlfriend around the house in an effort to get her to take classes with him… One day he attacked… she attacked back like all girls do and nailed him in the “pills”… He left her alone after that.

Its funny how many of you guys try to do this to your significant others and all seem to end up with the same result. LOL

Inspector Clasuea style:woohoo: Fitting end..You go girls

peterako

quote Kirsten:

Haha. I guess some knowledge was transferred from Krav.

Groin strike FTW. rofl2

rfc

Seems I’ve heard that “A little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing”.

I’ve got 3 sons between 19 and 23 years old and I’ve thought about the same thing. Here’s how I see it…

If you and your family are truly committed to training together then, there is probably some benefit; however, the basics of Krav are taught in an environment of high adrenaline and physical stress. This stuff has to be burned into your brain and muscle memory under those conditions. I personally don’t see that happening in my family living room or basement rec room.

In a real “street encounter”, it’s generally accepted that a big chunk (like 20, 30, 40%) of your training will go out the window in an instant. If I taught my sons under non-stress conditions, I would imagine virtually ALL of their training would go out the window. I would hate to give them a false sense of confidence.

Are your kids young??? The training techniques for younger children is very different from teenagers and adults. I have only learned krav through the “adult” teaching methods. No way in the world would I attempt to teach little kids… It’s a whole different ball game and I could see how easy it would be to do more harm than good.

Sure, I show my sons some moves once in a while hoping it might inspire them to take classes with me -but so far, they haven’t taken the bait… so I leave it alone.

My sons all took 3 years of either weight training or wrestling in high school so, they do in-fact have a taste of what determination is about. My kids are all level-headed and the advice I’ve given is that if they end-up in a bad situation, don’t worry about laws or lawyers. Worry about getting nasty, getting midevil, not giving up and know when to get the heck out of Dodge…

ROFL… Serves him right 🙂 I was showing my wife how to break a two-handed choke from the front one time, shortly after I started Krav (was all enthused about my classes, and wanted to share)… she grabbed my thumbs (only) and did the pluck, nearly breaking them. After I recovered from my pain, I told her she definitely had the Krav spirit. lol

Seriously, I don’t usually show her anything – she’s just not interested. But I HAVE told her that if she’s attacked, go for the groin and the eyes. Be vicious – make them think they’ve accosted a lunatic. Scream, bite, gouge, kick, break…. Don’t let them do whatever they’re trying to do. RESIST with all your might. Cuz once it goes beyond the initial attack, you may be in deep trouble. There are some evil people out there.

But I dearly wish she’d take Krav… my encouragement has been unsuccessful so far :(:

quote Kirsten:

unstpabl1

quote Coda Vex:

your not really planning on shooting said girl friend Ahhh youth!

I advise against shooting girlfriends, they get kinda upset about that and they tell eeevvvrryyone about it. makes it hard to get a new girlfriend. Just saying

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: