Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    kmman

Re: Krav and JiuJitsu?

“I went to a class tonight with my buddy as well, not bad, warmup was only 15min so it was a cake walk, we usually do 30min. Then we hit pads for 30min which I wasn’t too happy with, just hitting a tombstone pad 1, 2, 1, 2, 3, 4 etc. Last 15min we did getting out of chokes, the plucking thing. I guess it’s ok, it was actually a bit too remedial for me to go through, I would hate to have to go through level 1-4 just to get to the stuff that will help me out, would be a huge setback IMO.[/quote]”
    ———————————————————————————————————————-

You dont HAVE to take Krav. If it sets you back then just skip it if you have advanced training. I think any art you must start at beginning, no? What would be point if they gave you your black belt at the introduction class? Take a peek at the curriculum and see if you’d like to learn some of the stuff down the road. theres hundreds of techniques, check them out and see if you’d like (need) to learn them.

Having been in plenty of street situations I personally see holes in BJJ. I think its outstanding and you might be able to armbar me in 5 seconds but the reality is it just doesnt go down like that too often. Dont get me wrong, Id love to know this stuff and it would help anyone but its not the end all….nothing is. Even walking around with a machine gun doesnt guarantee anything.

unstpabl1

quote TheJew:

I went to a class tonight with my buddy as well, not bad, warmup was only 15min so it was a cake walk, we usually do 30min. Then we hit pads for 30min which I wasn’t too happy with, just hitting a tombstone pad 1, 2, 1, 2, 3, 4 etc. Last 15min we did getting out of chokes, the plucking thing. I guess it’s ok, it was actually a bit too remedial for me to go through, I would hate to have to go through level 1-4 just to get to the stuff that will help me out, would be a huge setback IMO.

No matter what new class you start, you always start at the beginning, but if your comfortable with standup and ground well then get some weapon training and your golden. Krav is basic in a way for a reason, because its open ended its unlimited. One of Imi’s qoutes was something to the effect of “if it isn’t easy people won’t be able to do it. Its about sound fundamentals and pressure?stress testing. There is stuff in Level 1 that isn’t really in other systems, like 360 defense, bursting, but your other arts will be similar. As the hands are basically boxing, elbows Thai, etc. From what I’ve seen its not the what of the system its the how. Remember its a modern ecletic art. They stole and created drills from other systems

mara-jade

quote TheJew:

I see wanna be punks at the shooting range all the time, it’s funny to see their ghetto asses keeling their weapons trying to look hard and getting all happy “AAAAAh shiiiiit foo, yeah foo… I hit that foo right there, you see?!!! Jeah boy, jeah! That one shot out of 15 hit that foo in the shoulder!!”

Ok anyways, to answer your question yes my school is an MMA school but I don’t train for competition. I’ve also taken the other classes, western style boxing as well as muay thai, but not as much as jiujitsu, my standup is already good so I focus more on the grappling.

I went to a class tonight with my buddy as well, not bad, warmup was only 15min so it was a cake walk, we usually do 30min. Then we hit pads for 30min which I wasn’t too happy with, just hitting a tombstone pad 1, 2, 1, 2, 3, 4 etc. Last 15min we did getting out of chokes, the plucking thing. I guess it’s ok, it was actually a bit too remedial for me to go through, I would hate to have to go through level 1-4 just to get to the stuff that will help me out, would be a huge setback IMO.

Just like a baby, you gotta crawl before you can walk and before you can run. You don’t jump in without learning the fundamentals. All those fundamentals will come back as you progress the higher levels and that goes for ANYTHING you learn (KM, learning a new instrument, etc). Besides, in testing, you can be tested on ANY move from what level you’re testing on back to level 1. You’re also building endurance so to me, you ALWAYS get something worthwhile of out classthumbsup

rq

I agree with everyone here, it might set ya back a tiny bit but in the end it could be worth it for you.

Looks like you train quite a bit there, almost as much as me. I passed level 1 in one month, level 2 will take 2mo (they only offer 4 classes a week, pretty weak), so you could be at level 4 in one year.

thejew

Thanks for responding ya’ll.

Yeah I hear you guys though, you do have to start in the beginning unfortunately for any system.

I’m going to borrow my buddies book, he’s got taht krav maga book with all the moves in it.

quote RQ:

I agree with everyone here, it might set ya back a tiny bit but in the end it could be worth it for you.

Looks like you train quite a bit there, almost as much as me. I passed level 1 in one month, level 2 will take 2mo (they only offer 4 classes a week, pretty weak), so you could be at level 4 in one year.

You said you’re in L.A., right? Training at the NTC? Who are you?

1 month for level 1, 2 months for level 2, … seems kinda fast…

unstpabl1

quote TheJew:

Thanks for responding ya’ll.

Yeah I hear you guys though, you do have to start in the beginning unfortunately for any system.

I’m going to borrow my buddies book, he’s got taht krav maga book with all the moves in it.

A lot of people look at the techs in this system and walk away thinking I know this. Certainly level one is pretty basic. What people miss is its not so much The What( TECHS) but the how(DRILLS) that is whats different about krav

I don’t have the expirience in the system to articulate it well, but I’ll try. Krav cause it was a military system needed to take people from passive to agressive in a heartbeat. So their drills have that focus as well as never ever frikken quit attitude developement. Its not better than what your doing, its focus is different. However it incorporates your base but simplifies the responses. Gross motor skills rule because under stress wheels tend to fall off. Its about the repition. So it becomes second nature. Unfortunately some people see it as being too simple. I can master this in a week kinda thing and I’ll own a school by next month

Anyway they do what they do well. At least what I’ve seen. Enjoy exploring the book, but try to find out more about the drills and philosophy. I figure thats why they weren’t sweating giving the system away for $20 in a book

Hope I didn’t add to the confusion

psyops

The idea of real “bangers” spending time in MT gyms and MMA Schools is funny! Sorry guys I am not buying that **** at all. Yes the pretenders might pop in from time to time but the real “BANGERS” are out getting money. They hustle for a living. They protect their turf and take from others.

I find it funny how people who would not know the first thing about “the hood” or what even constitutes “ghetto” are always the first to speak. While it’s true that some bangers do go to the range, most don’t. Too many cops hang out there and that is never a good thing if you are a criminal.

Gangs fight other gangs for the most part. The wannabe kids in the burbs are more dangerous than the real cats from the hood. The suburban kids think that its “cool” to front like they are “hard” and pose for street cred. Most of you will never be attacked and if you are it probably will not be someone who is in a real gang! Unless you of course are in a real gang yourself that is.

Just my .02

unstpabl1

Take it for what you feel its worth. Lotta assumptions on your part, but hey its the net. I could tell ya about witnessing the drive by thing or the guys I know who work the ranges here in LA. Or even the bangers I know from gyms.Or we could talk about why all the great boxing gyms and such are in the Hoods’. Or even how I know the things I know, but the reality is, its the net. Maybe I don’t know the first thing about the Hood, maybe I do. Take the post as you see fit

quote Psyops:

The idea of real “bangers” spending time in MT gyms and MMA Schools is funny! Sorry guys I am not buying that **** at all. Yes the pretenders might pop in from time to time but the real “BANGERS” are out getting money. They hustle for a living. They protect their turf and take from others.

I find it funny how people who would not know the first thing about “the hood” or what even constitutes “ghetto” are always the first to speak. While it’s true that some bangers do go to the range, most don’t. Too many cops hang out there and that is never a good thing if you are a criminal.

Gangs fight other gangs for the most part. The wannabe kids in the burbs are more dangerous than the real cats from the hood. The suburban kids think that its “cool” to front like they are “hard” and pose for street cred. Most of you will never be attacked and if you are it probably will not be someone who is in a real gang! Unless you of course are in a real gang yourself that is.

Just my .02

kmman

This s about Krav for someone already takng BJJ right?

Main difference would be striking but you already take Muay Thai so you have your stand up and ground game covered. You can add Judo for throws and you are well rounded.

The moves in the book wont teach you what Krav classes will which is to immediately “turn on the switch” and go from passive to agressive, seeking out multiple attackers and throw some devastating combatives and getting out of there.

Whats your goal in the ring? To get opponent to tap.

Your goal if you were really attacked, lets say a car jacking with your kid with you…goal is to get out of there. To me thats the big difference.

You may not need it but this is what Krav stresses…..grab anything and use as a weapon. Where I grew up, thats common but most burbs wont think like that. Krav instills it.

Just my .02.

thejew

quote KMMAN:

This s about Krav for someone already takng BJJ right?

Main difference would be striking but you already take Muay Thai so you have your stand up and ground game covered. You can add Judo for throws and you are well rounded.

The moves in the book wont teach you what Krav classes will which is to immediately “turn on the switch” and go from passive to agressive, seeking out multiple attackers and throw some devastating combatives and getting out of there.

Whats your goal in the ring? To get opponent to tap.

Your goal if you were really attacked, lets say a car jacking with your kid with you…goal is to get out of there. To me thats the big difference.

You may not need it but this is what Krav stresses…..grab anything and use as a weapon. Where I grew up, thats common but most burbs wont think like that. Krav instills it.

Just my .02.

Those are some kickass poiints kmman, thank you!

I think I’m going to try a month and find out, I don’t think just one class you can feel something out properly. Maybe I came on a chill day, it’s like what if someone came to take a free JJ class and we were just practicing breaking and passing the guard that day, they would be like “Man this is boring shiit! JJ sucks!”

****** And for the thread crappers – notice I said WANNA BE PUNKS above, not gangbangers. Kids from the burbs that think they are hard etc. While funny to watch, it gets annoying and old just as fast. I have a couple wannabes in my school, just misguided youth really, we have an afterschool program so we try to help them not become those PUNKS, they are on the path, but still can be saved I guess yo ucan put it. *****

kbb

I have been doing krav for some time and bjj for almost two years. The other night we were doing a defense against a double leg assuming you were late on the sprawl and your legs were in the grasp. I was paired up with a guy that had 90lbs on me. I had a hell of a time setting my base and the breaking his grip by sprawling back. One time I went backwards and started to work from the ground. Not preferred, but BJJ gives you some other tools. They do compliment each other well.

psyops

Sorry Unstabl1,

We will have to agree to disagree. I know you are in L.A. and you think that L.A. is the mecca for gangs but there are other places that are a bit more infested than L.A. Most boxing gyms are in the hood because the real estate is cheaper. It is that simple my man. Also many aspiring boxers come from tougher backgrounds but this does not make them “bangers”. I might remind you that L.A. is full of posers and pretenders in every walk of life. Most of the so called “bangers” wear thong panties and their hearts pump kool-aid.

I live in Las Vegas and the guys who work the range are typically the most ignorant individuals roaming the face of this earth. Wannabe cops who couldn’t cut it. They think any minority with a tattoo and baggy jeans is a banger. So if this is your source of info you might want to check it. How many “bangers’ are training at NTC?

Serious training requires focus, dedications, effort, time, opportunity, mental toughness, and the ability to finish. Not coincidentally these qualities are also required for success in any walk of life. Success and bangers don’t generally mix.

I have personal knowledge of this. I from Oakland, Ca. East Oakland at that. So I know of what I speak. My Hood is so hot we don’t have Bloods and Crips. We laughed at them back in the day. So again my “assumptions” are based on growing up in the real “hood” not the fake hood.

As far as the topic goes BJJ is cool if you value it. While I have a great respect for the system I am a power guy and I believe that avoiding the takedown and getting off the ground as soon as possible are the most important thing. I don’t care about arm bars and leg locks and all that stuff. It means nothing in the street.

la-revancha

quote Psyops:

The idea of real “bangers” spending time in MT gyms and MMA Schools is funny! Sorry guys I am not buying that **** at all.

As mentioned, I think it’s typically NOT the case that BJJ students are out causing havoc in society, but cases of outliers are documented. They may not be out “bangin” but it has happened.

ADCC Qualifier Cameron Earle’s problems with the law.
    http://www.subfighter.com/forum/viewtopic.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=39390

Ryan Gracie’s sad and tragic running amok in Brazil.
    http://www.mmatko.com/ryan-gracie-found-dead-in-jail-cell-after-wild-day/

TUF contestant Rob Emerson doing a stint in jail for his part in beating up some kids in OC (he was thrown in jail AGAIN last year).
    http://www.cagepotato.com/2008/01/08/if-youre-looking-for-someone-to-root-against-during-the-ufc-81-undercard/

These weirdos give BJJ folks a bad name. >:(

la-revancha

quote Psyops:

I don’t care about arm bars and leg locks and all that stuff. It means nothing in the street.

It’s 1993 all over again!!

I think EVERYBODY needs to have a healthy respect for chokes, such as RNC/mata leao. It’s extremely difficult to power out of a well-placed choke, despite gross size disparities.

Furthermore, there was an incident a few years back of a small, young man who used a guillotine on a significantly larger jock who tried to fight him at a fast food restaurant and accidently killed him. He got slammed to the floor and locked in the choke from guard. Think he severly damaged the trachea.

Incident was recorded from a security camera. I’ll try to find the news article.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 89 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: