Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    jdawgmcb

Hey guys, im going to high school right now and I have been taking krav maga classes for about 2 weeks now, and I can say that I have a much higher confidence level than before (a lot of bigger kids used to pick on me)

My question is, how useful would krav maga be if I ever needed to use it in a high-school thug-like environment because someone wanted to fight me (over something stupid, im not trying to start fights)?

Does anyone have any experience using krav in real life with success?

Note: This is coming from someone who has never been in a real fight.

mara-jade

Re: Krav in high school

Welcome to the forum!

There’s been a few posts on kids who’ve been bullied. I’m sure you’ve been told to walk away from the situation if its at all possible.

http://kmforum.kravmaga.com/showthread.php?t=3907&highlight=bullied

KM is VERY useful and folks will probably come by and address your concerns here.

If you’ve got other questions, by all means ask :wav:

nauticus

quote jdawgmcb:

Hey guys, im going to high school right now and I have been taking krav maga classes for about 2 weeks now, and I can say that I have a much higher confidence level than before (a lot of bigger kids used to pick on me)

My question is, how useful would krav maga be if I ever needed to use it in a high-school thug-like environment because someone wanted to fight me (over something stupid, im not trying to start fights)?

Does anyone have any experience using krav in real life with success?

Note: This is coming from someone who has never been in a real fight.

I haven’t done Krav Maga yet (soon though!), but from what I have found through research, Krav Maga would be very useful in a self defense situation. I think my biggest curiousity is the legality of some of the responses. If somebody punches you, and you block it, then maul them… Are there any documented court cases that involve Krav Maga as the primary self defense?

My greatest concern is how a Krav Maga defense (say, blocking a single punch, then ‘eliminating’ the threat) could be seemed as using excessive force, or assault. According to the Canadian Criminal Code, an assault can only be met with “as much force as is necessary to stop the assault, and denying the repetition of”.

I’m going to be giving a local Krav Maga school a call in about a week and I plan on getting started.

jdawgmcb

quote mara_jade:

Welcome to the forum!

There’s been a few posts on kids who’ve been bullied. I’m sure you’ve been told to walk away from the situation if its at all possible.

http://kmforum.kravmaga.com/showthread.php?t=3907&highlight=bullied

KM is VERY useful and folks will probably come by and address your concerns here.

If you’ve got other questions, by all means ask :wav:

how effective would KM effects be if i needed to use force to neutralize a threat from a “bully” as I no longer feel the need to “pussy out” when someone is giving me crap for something (im a very short, nerdy guy…but about 2 years ago i started lifting weights, people still see me as the nerd though because i never get in fights, never am with girls, etc)

I just want to be able to stand up for myself.

devilnuts

Remember to use the appropriate amount of force necessary to end the threat, and no more. If someone is pushing you around, don’t immediately go for his eyes. Self defense isn’t about looking tough or shutting someone up who says mean things to you. It is about recognizing a real threat and ending it.

If someone is trying to hurt you, kick his ass. Once he stops trying to hurt you, stop kicking his ass.

But you had better be sure before you do it. Nowadays you can’t really do anything in school without being arrested, strip searched, put on watch lists and expelled. As a Kravist, you are able to see things coming and respond to situations in ways that a normal person cannot. As such, you may be held to a higher standard of liability if you are within your power to avoid violent confrontation and instead choose to fight.

jdawgmcb

quote DevilNuts:

Remember to use the appropriate amount of force necessary to end the threat, and no more. If someone is pushing you around, don’t immediately go for his eyes. Self defense isn’t about looking tough or shutting someone up who says mean things to you. It is about recognizing a real threat and ending it.

If someone is trying to hurt you, kick his ass. Once he stops trying to hurt you, stop kicking his ass.

But you had better be sure before you do it. Nowadays you can’t really do anything in school without being arrested, strip searched, put on watch lists and expelled. As a Kravist, you are able to see things coming and respond to situations in ways that a normal person cannot. As such, you may be held to a higher standard of liability if you are within your power to avoid violent confrontation and instead choose to fight.

I couldn’t agree more, i simply dont want people to try and do stuff like jump me because im small or whatever (some kids at my HS would try stuff like that if i didnt have so many friends…ive seen it happen. )

crazy-train

having been the “nerd” in high school i see where you are coming, i had the same problems. at the time i was also training in tae kwn do and krav maga. even with knowledge of both styles, the best course of action is to ignore the bullies. hands down best thing to do. use krav if, and only if, they start it and you are physically threatened. don’t forget to include yelling things that would indicate you are in trouble and that you don’t want to fight. also talk to teachers, the principle, and counselors about what is happening. also tell them about krav if you join.

that’s just my .02¢ from my experiences.

also starting krav now before college would a good idea. there’s quite a few moronic college kids too.

maddogmean

I like Crazy Train’s advice. One thing you don’t want to do is spread it around school that you’re taking KM. If you ever need to use it you want don’t want the bullies to be expecting a knee, kick, elbow etc. Walk proud with your new found confidence (this may be enough to stop the bullying) but let them continue to underestimate you. They’ll expect a retreat rather than a knee to the groin.

jdawgmcb

quote crazy_train:

having been the “nerd” in high school i see where you are coming, i had the same problems. at the time i was also training in tae kwn do and krav maga. even with knowledge of both styles, the best course of action is to ignore the bullies. hands down best thing to do. use krav if, and only if, they start it and you are physically threatened. don’t forget to include yelling things that would indicate you are in trouble and that you don’t want to fight. also talk to teachers, the principle, and counselors about what is happening. also tell them about krav if you join.

that’s just my .02¢ from my experiences.

also starting krav now before college would a good idea. there’s quite a few moronic college kids too.

ive already started krav 🙂 and i love it

night-robin

quote jdawgmcb:

ive already started krav 🙂 and i love it

Thats good to hear. I was always in the “Middle Ground” of High school where you get picked on but not as much as the kids in the “Lower” classes. I hated High School. Krav definitely gives you a confidence boost. Too bad I didn’t take it back then. I’ve never been in a fight, and God willing I will never have to, but I feel better knowing that if that time comes I’m prepared for it.

Glad your enjoying Krav. Stick with it cause it only gets better as you go.

jdawgmcb

I can honestly say that in the short time i have been taking classes my confidence level has gone way up and i finally feel “in control” of my emotions…no more fear of someone trying to hurt me without a knowledgable way to defend.

stevetuna

We had two high-school kids in my intro class last night. Both are very tall (or is it just that I’m really short…) and skinny (or is it just that – um, never mind…). Very nice kids that I could see badly need the boost of confidence that KM can provide.

The younger one is much more of a “geek”. He’s 15 and is very unsure of himself. He and I worked a lot on establishing boundries (Geoff Thompson’s fence concept) and talking about when it would be ok to fight. I stressed to him the importance of doing all that he could do to walk away. He got that part. He had a tough time with the thought that he might have to strike another person in order to defend himself. I had previously talked with his dad, a local attorney, about this matter prior, and stressed to my student how important it is for him to be safe. I think that by the end of the class he had a great understanding of when it was permissable for him to fight.

For some of us, the thought of being in a physical confrontation comes a lot easier than for others. This young man needed to give himself permission to protect himself. He’ll get there, I’m sure!

Please keep training and please keep posting. Reading about your experiences will help me to train these guys! Good luck to you!

skelegirl

I just want to post this that sometimes there are consequences to fighting back. In the end, it appears that it is all working out. And the other kids at this particular high school are awesome!!!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20090505.KESWICK05ART22332/TPStory/National

night-robin

I’ve noticed a difficulty with some people in getting in the “When is When?” mindset. For me, It was easy. I like myself and want to live. I pray I never have to do harm to another human being, but if the situation calls for it I will cross that line. In a way, I think its very humane of students not to want to harm another person, but it can potentially cost you.

That’s great he had that kind of support from his classmates. Sadly, that’s all too uncommon.

jdawgmcb

I’ve already learned quite a bit and i have noticed a huge confidence boost, i am no longer afraid to stand up for myself when someone picks on me, I simply used to look the other way and ignore them, so far the one time i did stand up for myself did not end up in anything close to a confrontation, they “bully” simply gave up and moved onto someone easier.

But knowing that i have the ability to defend myself if necessary really boosted my confidence, now hopefully i can start talking to girls…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: