Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Krav Maga as a self defense system?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    danny-o

I was just looking to get a different perspective from a knowledgeable Krav Maga person on the discussion about knife and gun self defenses.

I think this thread really has some interesting points to make about Krav Maga’s knife and gun defenses. Check it out http://forum.psdtc.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=932&whichpage=2&ARCHIVE=

This PSDTC guy really seems to have a good perspective on this subject. I know i am convinced with his view point now that he has clarified himself.

In checking out those Krav Maga techniques they discuss, i tend to agree with what they are saying about it.

Of course i have only been studying Krav Maga for about 2 months. But, i have also studied other martial arts for the last 12 years. So im no dummy.

ffdo

hmmmmmmmmm

Gun and knife defenses. Actually, not many MAs have ones that are very effective. I don’t quite do a KM gun def but it is darned close, and it works. To be honest, I love the forum, I love the discusion, but very little gets \”settled\” here. Things get settled in the gym with practice and seeing what works and why it worked. And, things get settled in the real world. I have no issues with people that practice other forms, or people that hate KM and see it as a sort of T-Bo. Think what you want and what you will, but for me, I will stick with KM.

JC

andre

Advertise somewhere else Danny.

danny-o

Re:

quote \”Andre\:

Advertise somewhere else Danny.

Thats one disappointing thing i have found out about Krav Maga.

One thing i didnt like about taking tae kwon do and thai boxing is the students in those arts are always thinking their art is the only way.

I thought krav maga is supposed to be a mixed martial arts. But, it seems some of your are so closed minded about anything other than what you are taught in class.

Even my new instructor is like that. He even makes people do pushups when they try something different.

saxman314

that’s strange

My instructor always lets us try anything else we’ve learned or come up with. He says, if it works for you, it works for you. Krav’s all about teaching us the techniques and letting us choose which works best for us. If we do something that isn’t in the Krav vocabulary, it’s fine if it doesn’t get us killed. However, not all teachers are created equal. I’ve seen a few of those videos posted up on the JKD guy’s site, and I don’t see anyone moving like the guys in my class. They all look fast and flashy, but don’t have power in their strikes, and they don’t have good technique… but that’s just the ones I’ve seen. Hey, whatever floats yer boat…

chguise

DannyO,

Not to get involved in the broad sweeping disdane you seem to have for people on a Krav Maga forum protecting the the form they’ve chosen, I have to say, in my classes I don’t allow things that are not Krav unless I am teaching them. I can’t have my students doing all sorts of moves that may hurt someone.

I had a student, a wrestler, do a take down on another level one student. The other student knew a break fall. But what if he hadn’t? I can’t allow this, safety in training. Level one is VERY controled. It has to be.

You may have an over zelous instructor or you may have an instructor who had someone injured because a student took it upon himself to hurt his partner with an advanced move the partner had no idea how to move with.

You come to Krav to learn Krav. You don’t join a boxing gym and kick someone in the balls. Baseball teams don’t allow a teammember to say, don a helmet and tackle the base runner (though I have to say, I might watch then).

We are a very open minded art. What we are closed minded about is someone making a broad statement that Krav will get someone killed. Stepping out your door can get you killed. But if it’s on another board, I really don’t care about it.

What’s strange is that you chose to bring it to our attention. Taking offense or trying to start something, you seem to be doing that later and if you’re trying to start something, what exactly is it? Think we’re going to come out a say \”yeah we suck\” Why would we devote time and money to a form that we’re not too sure about? Not to mention, blood and sweat.

This is a Krav board. Expect resistance against negative comments. I read the enitre thread on the other board, and left no comments. I refuse to join just to defend. I really could care less what they say. Everyone thinks theirs is the biggest. Being a chick, mine may not be the biggest, but it’s better for me and that’s all I care about.

chris

saxman314

hey

I’m relatively new to Krav compared to a lot of the people on this site, so reading the posts on the JKD site gave me a question (actually someone asked this in class, too): what do we do about our gun defense if the weapon does discharge and rips up or burns our hand? I personally would prefer that to a bullet at center mass, but is there some way we have to do our defense that mitigates that risk? As a musician, I’d rather not have a torn and burnt hand if I can avoid it.

chguise

Wouldn’t you rather live?

That’s like saying, I have to make sure the gun doesn’t go off at all because I use my ears in my job and don’t want to be deaf. Your hands should be the last thing you think about.

Or, I don’t want a scar on this side, it’s my good side, so I think I’d rather take the bullet over here.

I’m just kind of wondering what this other magical weapon defense could be that completely negates any risk, gives us all a one hundred percent chance of living and leaves us totally unscathed.

chris

saxman314

uh, yeah

Yeah I’d rather live. But I’d rather live and keep my career than live and have to give up my livlihood and start over in a new field. Of course, to some people that may sound superficial, but hey, why try to cure an infection when you can amputate? Amputation’s faster, after all, and you got two legs, so you can give one up, right?
    If there’s a better technique out there, why not learn it? Until I do, I’ve got the Krav technique, but I’m not opposed to other ways of doing things. They can only compliment what I already know if they are valid. I just don’t understand willful ignorance. You can’t reject something out of hand when you don’t know what it is. This is the same thing I said on the JKD guy’s forum, and it’s just as wrong no matter who does it. Especially given that Krav is sort of a \”best of\” a bunch of other styles and continually evolving, why would we disregard anything we haven’t at least seen? On the gig, I learn from people who play different styles and instruments, and I even learn from some of my beginning students. All the knowledge comes together when I play and comes out as my style. This is what Bruce Lee did, what Imi Lichtenfeld did, and to attain the highest level of proficiency in any field, what any practitioner must do. Otherwise, we’ll wind up like tradition-bound karate guys who haven’t changed their style in a thousand years.
    What I object to is the ignorance that that JKD guy showed when he said Krav was useless to anyone concerned with self-defense.
    By the way, the question about the gun defense was brought up by one of the guys in my class a few weeks ago and as far as I know went unanswered. It’s a legitimate question, and to criticize the question instead of answering just shows that you don’t have a good answer. If you read the question again real carefully, you might see where I said I’d prefer burnt hands to a bullet to center mass… but as long as we’re all being constructive and supportive of each other, it’s okay if you respond to the parts that piss you off and ignore the rest. Maybe we could work on the stress drills some more so we can all keep cooler heads when the House of Krav comes under a direct and concerted attack like a 😈 question 😈 . Sorry, it’s past my bed time and I’m cranky. Peace.

jt

Saxman314… Check out the post \”Gun defense question\” that was asked on May 3, 2005 by Siayn, and last responded to on May 5, 2005. There is a video that is included from \”kmman\” that should help address your gun defense concerns. When he was asked what the damage was like from the gun going off he said, paraphrasing, \”Terrible (sarcastically), I had to wash it to get the oil off and that is it.\” There are also several krav sites with pictures up of students at shooting ranges holding the slide while the gun is fired.

saxman314

thanks

Thanks, man. That’s all I needed.

andre

Danny, I didn’t mention Krav, nor am I interested in being the sole protector of Krav Maga’s Arcane philosophies. I just pointed out that all your posts had been directing others to some other website. I have no interest in playing word games, or games for that matter, I called it like it was.

danny-o

Re:

quote \”Andre\:

I just pointed out that all your posts had been directing others to some other website.

This has been my first and only post. I was checking around the web about what people thought of krav maga as a good self defense system and posted an example of what some well known instructors have said about it. It just so happens that website was the in the top ten web search listing. otherwise it could have been an instructor from some other system like judo or aikido etc.

chguise

Arcane Philosophies? Really. That’s odd. Krav’s pretty open and easy to understand.

But hey, maybe that’s just me.

saxman314

hey

Hmm, I thought I caught a hint of overwhelming sarcasm with the arcane philosophy bit… hehe.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: