Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Krav maga getting bashed?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author

http://www.ultimate-fighter.ca/Forum/viewtopic.php?id=18206

I’m really looking for something to teach me how to truly defend myself in a real life situation. The areas I have to go to all the time are getting worse and worse, and I want to be able to win in a street fight and neutralize threats quickly.

I’ve never done martial arts and I’ve talked to a lot of people in the field all of them saying Krav maga is NOT the way to go for this unless it is taught by the IDF.

What are your thoughts?

Re: Krav maga getting bashed?

I’m seeing a lot of articles about it being great alternative excercise… but nothing more. I see a lot of older people in the classes that are not in their prime for training. I am ready to train to be a great fighter, and protector of myself, my family, and friends. I’m starting to shy away from Krav now because of these comments.

munster

Dude it all comes down to what your needs are.Krav is a great system and its been proven time and time again everyone in my unit that was exposed to it during our shoot course loved it and saw many practical applications for it. What it really comes down to is whos teaching you Ive been very lucky to have some instructors that were not only rich with experience and training but great teachers esp out in chatsworth, however ive been to san antonio and well not to knock on anyone but it just wasent the same the instructor teaching wasent bad, however wasent the caliber i was use to working with he missed quite a bit of stuff and failed to mention to tuck your chin when getting choked and certain varying situations that could occur. Im pretty sure I coulda taught the class, but its life and this goes for every course or art you wanna learn it comes down to for the most part the teacher.

zen4me

quote ab0rt_missi0n:

I’m seeing a lot of articles about it being great alternative excercise… but nothing more. I see a lot of older people in the classes that are not in their prime for training. I am ready to train to be a great fighter, and protector of myself, my family, and friends. I’m starting to shy away from Krav now because of these comments.

Have you visited any of the KM schools in MD (or DC, dunno where exactly you’re at in MD) yet? Getting information and opinions off an internet forum is one way to go, but if you don’t actually go try KM out…well, what’s the point?

From the link you posted, the value of KM is lost on the majority of folks posting because it doesn’t fit their immediate perception of fighting. Why do you want to train to be a great fighter? If it is to go into UFC, etc. then no – Krav is probably not the best place to start your training – but if you want to be a “great protector”, if you want to be able to handle multiple attackers and all the other ugly situations you may find yourself in on the streets, Krav is the best place to start. (at least IMHO).

Honestly, you shouldn’t allow yourself to be swayed by online opinions one way or the other. Go check it out for yourself instead of seeking validation of a point online. After all, opinions are like a$$hole$…everyone’s got one. The overriding opinion you will get from practitioners on a Krav Maga forum is PRO-KM, whereas a non-KM forum is likely ANTI-KM.

Just go check it out for yourself and don’t discount it just because there are older people training alongside younger people – they need to know how to protect themselves just as much as the rest of us.

– Kelly

ryan

“I see a lot of older people in the classes that are not in their prime for training.”

I’m not going to debate this one way or the other, but to me, this should be a major PRO for training in Krav Maga, not a major CON. If your goal is self defense, why would you look for a system that only worked for gifted athletes or the young? The mark of a good system is one that works for everyone, regardless of attributes.

russell

so you went to a mixed martial arts board and they didn’t like krav, wow thats a big shock!. krav isn’t a mma style art, yes some people incorporate krav into mma, and a few mma gyms teach krav, but for the most part i don’t think they are comparable, krav is a “reality based self defense” not a cage style “twist the arm till they tap out”(krav is a twist the arm till it snaps and they have to have therapy for a few months kind of thing)

krav is a easy to learn, easy to incorporate,hard to forget, self defense program!
    if you want to cage fight(or ring fight) i would take boxing,wrestling,and bjj(all 3)
    if you want to defend yourself on the streets take krav!

these are just my opinions and like ive said before opinions are like hemeroids, sooner or later every a$$hole has one!

good luck in whatever you decide and talk to the local krav center they might let you take a class or two to make sure it’s right for you

russell

ps i never took martial arts till about a year ago, and i love krav

tlawhorn

Well said, Russell and Ryan!thumbsup

la-revancha

quote ab0rt_missi0n:

I’m really looking for something to teach me how to truly defend myself in a real life situation. The areas I have to go to all the time are getting worse and worse, and I want to be able to win in a street fight and neutralize threats quickly.

I’ve never done martial arts and I’ve talked to a lot of people in the field all of them saying Krav maga is NOT the way to go for this unless it is taught by the IDF.

What are your thoughts?

I’d like to share a couple of anecdotes that students have shared with me over the last month:

1-A female student approached me after a recent yellow belt exam. She told me how she had used Krav Maga this year on 3rd street in Santa Monica. Some guy grabbed her hand and started pulling her, and she replied with a knee to the groin and an elbow to the face. The dude ran away afterwards.

2-One of our sheriffs has a coworker that used krav on an inmate who got surly. The inmate put the sheriff in an RNC. The sheriff, who had not trained in 3 years, said he instantly thought of krav when the guy attacked him. He struggled, ended up in a side headlock position, where he executed the krav defense against side headlock, and took the attacker down. Then, remembering some of our aggressive, “go 0-to-crazy in 3 seconds” drill, he mounted the guy and beat on him until help arrived.

This is after a 3 year layoff. He attributed the mindset and response to Krav.

Lastly, this is for those folks who say, “Those choke defenses are artificial, NO ONE ATTACKS ANYBODY LIKE THAT!”:

Nearly 5 weeks ago, I was at a Jamba Juice in affluent Sherman Oaks. This is next to Ed Hardy’s and a few other trendy clothing and sunglasses shops. As I am leaving, I see a man go Ike Turner on his wife. IN BROAD DAYLIGHT, he grabs her throat from the side and slams her into the wall. He let go of her afterwards, but God knows what else ensued in their car.

Mind you this happened in an affluent, predominantly-Jewish enclave in southern California. Not between Vermont and Hoover. Not in downtown Baltimore. Not in southeast DC.

When it comes to self-defense, there is definitely a need for Krav Maga.

dkatman

Did anyone actually read the post he linked?

There is one chump who leaves a nonsense post that “Krav Maga is a Joke.”

Aside from that, it looked like very constructive posts. I think I only take exception to having to be Israeli and speak with an accent to be a good instructor. I understand their reasoning for thinking so, but I don’t agree with the statement. But that is because I have trained with a lot of good instructors who are not Israeli. Most, if not all, have trained with someone who is Israeli. But so have I. I am not that good. But I am not an instructor either.

I just thought that most of the replies seemed very similar to what he is getting here. Krav Maga is NOT sport fighting. I think the principles apply to anything where you might get hit and/or you need to hit/kick/attack. But I think it takes away from Krav Maga’s strengths as a system as soon as rules get introduced. “Rules” contradict Krav Maga, unless it is followed by:

1. There are no rules.
    or
    2. Don’t talk about fight club.

Dave

dkatman

Oh!

And to the OP (Original Poster):

You mentioned that they were “people in the field” who said Krav Maga was not the way to go.

Might they stand to make money if you chose a different way?

Did they just happen to teach TKD in your area? BJJ? Some other art that would be much better? “Just sign here”.

Dave

mara-jade

quote ab0rt_missi0n:

http://www.ultimate-fighter.ca/Forum/viewtopic.php?id=18206

What are your thoughts?

You really need to just check out a class and decide for yourself. Until you’ve done it yourself, you’ll never know for sure. I’ve been a part of numerous women only self defense seminars at my center. Experiencing how the ladies become empowered is truly something you gotta witness. thumbsup

As for older people not being primed for training – that’s B.S – sorry. I started over 4 years ago at 175 pounds, overweight and thinking I was nuts to try KM. Hubby was more than 30 pounds overweight. Both in our late 30s, we weren’t looking to be some commando. We wanted to be able to defend ourselves. Hubby wanted to make sure I could defend myself as he couldn’t always be there for me.

My level 1 test – I was scared but man it was the best kick ass test we ever had. It was 5 hours of hell, we gave it our all and we both passed. Level 2 – another 5 hour test from hell. We passed.

We’ve lost 50 pounds and know we have a ways to go. We haven’t taken our level 3 test but don’t think I’m gonna stop going. People get sick, life happens but you know what? You can jump right back in again. Getting a belt kicks a$$ but it’s not a race.

To the poster regarding San Antonio, dunno what happened there but I can say without hesitation there’s a reason why it’s only one of 7 (last number I knew) Regional Training Centers in KMWW. Pete puts those instructors though hell. Hubby and I have been there since it first opened all those years ago. It’s come a long way and things are only getting better. They’re moving to a huge new center come January – it’s gonna rock:wav:

thank you all for your responses.

As far as trying it, yes, I have gone to the intro class and performed it. I was actually paired up with a dramatically bigger guy than me… but found out even in the first classes about his DISADVANTAGE in being that much bigger than I was. My speed and endurance could clearly be seen, and we are both pretty out of shape from what he and I talked about.

I liked the class a lot, however, I decided to do some extra research on the web and many people said what made me write the post to begin with. As well as one from the Krav MD site where in the urbanite it highlighted Krav maga as good “alternative excercise. I’m here to get in better shape, sure, but I’m NOT here to walk malls briskly… I’m here to stand up to anyone who stands in the way of me and my safety.

Judging from what you all have said I think I can begin to see the distinction between you all and the other forum… that being that Krav is something you don’t “play with”, it’s not something you can show your friend who boxes because you cannot use your techniques to the full potential if you’re in no real danger, and krav only gets effective in those types of situations. That right to say?

Also, I am looking at attending the Krav MD school in Owings Mills, does anyone know about the instructors there? You did say teachers were everything, just curious, I read their descriptions on the site but I know nothing of them from inside the Krav Community. Because I also found this about the KMWW organization, in response to your support for it Mara I wanted to check it out. This post I found first.

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=15996231&an=0&page=0

Admins: This is not a flame, this is completely helping me make my decision and I believe these alternative posts should be included to get people’s opinions.

mara-jade

I can only speak for myself and hubby. WE DO NOT teach others what we’ve learned in class unless we’re training with another KM student like ourselves. We have a training gun we use to practice disarms safely.

One time a lady at one of the seminars asked about the ‘easiest’ way to do a gun disarm. Pete had his instructors demo a gun takeaway. The lady asked again ‘but what’s the easy way?’. Pete told her THERE IS NO EASY WAY. You have to come in to be trained properly. It’s isn’t something you master in 5 minutesthumbsup

As time progressed, it got to be where hubby and I have learned to do moves full speed and NOT beat the crap out of each other on purpose:):

russell

quote ab0rt_missi0n:

Also, I am looking at attending the Krav MD school in Owings Mills, does anyone know about the instructors there? You did say teachers were everything, just curious, I read their descriptions on the site but I know nothing of them from inside the Krav Community. Because I also found this about the KMWW organization, in response to your support for it Mara I wanted to check it out. This post I found first.

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=15996231&an=0&page=0

Admins: This is not a flame, this is completely helping me make my decision and I believe these alternative posts should be included to get people’s opinions.

do you like the car you drive?(somebody hates it!)
    do you like your tv?(somebody hates it!)
    do you like your job?(somebody hates it!)…ok bad example!

do you see where i’m going with this? if you look long enough you’ll find somebody who hates anything and everything

but if you come to a kmww forum, i dont think you’ll find any body who hates it, same as if you went to a ckm forum, or a ikmf forum

but ask yourself did YOU like the krav class you took? if so why do YOU care what anybody else thinks! YOUR opinion matters on this not what anyone else thinks!

good luck in whatever decision you make!

russell

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: