Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Krav Maga’s Popularity

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

I’m curious if anyone knows how much Krav Maga’s popularity has been effected by all the exposure on TV in the last year.

I know at the ATA Academy where I take Krav our class size fluctuates from week to week but the class size this year has grown. Granted I haven’t been involved with it for very long (Since September) but it seems to me that the popularity has definitely risen.

Last year the largest class size I can remember was 12-13 students but at one point this year we had as many as 22 in one class session.

Has anyone else found the same thing? Is this all related to the annual “New Years Resolution” drive or is Krav really picking up in popularity due to shows like “Human Weapon”?

kmman

Re: Krav Maga’s Popularity

I have noticed the same thing. I think it’s due to both “New Year’s Resolution” and it’s gaining popularity. There’s an appeal to the adult audience because it’s a great workout, effective and no funny looking uniforms and kids classes. Once Krav goes kids then it becomes McDojo-ish.

kmman

Let me clarify that thee is nothing wrong with kids classes but adults usually prefer no kids. At the very least schools should seperate kids classes from adult classes by at least an hour.

In the class I attend, kids would be a baaaaad idea. The aggression drills get a little loud and rough sometimes. I sure wouldn’t want any kids to pick up my bad language and testosterone fueled histrionics.

kpalena

I notice the same thing every year. From Jan to march things are really crowded. After the first advancement test…things thin out a bit. I think the popularity of Krav Maga CAN be a good thing, as long as LA keeps the reigns tight on who they allow to instruct. I can see how trademarking the name Krav Maga will help keep Krav from being diluted

quote kpalena:

I notice the same thing every year. From Jan to march things are really crowded. After the first advancement test…things thin out a bit. I think the popularity of Krav Maga CAN be a good thing, as long as LA keeps the reigns tight on who they allow to instruct. I can see how trademarking the name Krav Maga will help keep Krav from being diluted

I’m not so sure I agree with trademarking the name Krav Maga but I definitely do agree that LA needs to keep the reigns tight on who instructs. The difficulty is however that KMWW is not the only organization that teaches. IKMF should also keep their reigns tight. The organization I feel needs to disband is Commando Krav Maga which from what I have read from at least one Israeli Instructor that has posted on these boards is not even Krav Maga at all and he has never had any formal training in Krav.

It’s organizations like CKM which will end up giving it a bad name.

kmman

Let’s keep Krav Maga our little secret, OK?:D:

Then again, I do not own a school.

stevetuna

Just to clarify, Krav Maga has a full kids program. It’s called KM-X, and I believe it’s been going for about ten years or so. I teach Krav Maga and KM-X at Krav Maga Nantucket. All KM-X instructors are required to also be certified in adult Krav Maga. Of course, it would be inappropriate to have adults and children in the same class, but please realize that Krav Maga already has a strong and growing kids division. Also, Krav Maga started in this country as a class at the Heschel Day School (I apologize if I’ve misspelled the school’s name).

ATA here doesn’t have the KM-X program but they do accept all the way down to age 13. Not sure how good of a thing that is but so far from what I have seen it has worked out alright. Most people are adults but we do have at least 2 high school students and maybe 3 but I’m not sure of one of their ages.

kmman

Let me clarify….I used to take Kenpo and what started happening was tenagers began creeping into the classes slowly. Some 18 or 17 year olds , fine…then as time went on younger and before you knew it we had 13 year olds. That realy hinders training for the adult and the teenager. Also, belt tests were combined so we would take our belt tests with the younger teenagers. Many adults were not happy because they felt uncomfortable with parents their age video taping etc. It just wasnt a good mix. Our Krav school has that KM-X but they keep it seperate…hope it stays that way.

Dont want it to sound like Im anti-youth..I have 3 kids! Just think training should be seperate.

guerriere

I have to explain and spell it less and less.

…and more people fear me! YARR!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGATCtDLDBY

Classic

1:45…. “If a kid grown enough to talk back, then they’re grown enough to get f***d up.” -Bernie Mac

bradm

“The organization I feel needs to disband is Commando Krav Maga which from what I have read from at least one Israeli Instructor that has posted on these boards is not even Krav Maga at all and he has never had any formal training in Krav.

It’s organizations like CKM which will end up giving it a bad name.”

What do you know about CKM other than what you read on this forum in a post from one Israeli instructor and maybe a few others that dislike CKM because it is a little different?

mara-jade

It’s not worth debating about another organization here folks. We don’t need to start drama where it’s NOT needed.

Let’s stick to the topic that got started.

Good idea, Mara!

Anyways, I have had mixed experiences with kids in the classes myself. There is one 17 year old that started going to a lot of the level 1 classes I take. He loves it and he takes it very seriously. However, every now and again I end up getting a kid who’s probably about 15 who talks and jokes around the entire time.

I don’t have a problem training with anyone who is serious and really wants to train (as long as they are able to hold the bag/pad/mitt properly). Teen or adult, I can’t stand when someone isn’t paying attention to the instruction or starts screwing off in the middle of class. That’s how people get hurt and it also disrupts the other students who are trying to learn.

As far as class sizes…. It does get a bit frustrating. I’m just hoping the New Years rush slows down soon so shadow boxing becomes less of a sparring match thumbsup

:soapbox:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: